Is this rule still relavent?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Thelou, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Thelou

Thelou Walk On

Is this rule still relavent?

03.07 - Running Up the Score
    Good sportsmanship is a major part of MEGA, so running up the score will not be tolerated. Please use good judgment when leading by a large margin.

Just curious if we are still enforcing or at the least reminding owners about the rules of gameplay here in MEGA. There may be some varying opinions about this topic but I'll raise the bullshit flag first and then prepare for my own defense.

Code:
                     1  2   3    4   OT   T 
    Rams            21  14  14   7    0   56 
    Buccaneers       0  7   0    8    0   15

2. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

My opinion - if my opponent "concedes" - ie not using his timeouts, not coming out in 4 wide, not no huddling, not onside kicking - then I will run dives all day long to get game over with. But if my RB gets through the line and can score I generally will - I feel it is a bigger slap in the face to intentionally not score. I have had guys who were beating me intentionally miss a 10 yard FG in the name of good sportsmanship - and while I appreciate that I also would have no problem if they just continued to run up the gut until they scored the TD. If I can't stop a dive play when I know it is coming then that is my problem IMO.

Same with defensive or special team TDs.

If you look at the box score from Rams game you will see that he only threw the ball 4 times, pounded the rock, and had a few defensive and special team scores. I guess I might take exception to returning a kick for a TD so late in the game, but that is really it.

If you turn the ball over 8 times you are going to give up points.

Guess I am just saying it is easy to look at a box score and assume the worst, but sometimes you just can't help it and put up points even when you are not trying to punk your opponent. Some games the Madden gods just stick it to you.

I will say, however, that when leading big I will try to put my reserves in to protect against injury and to make scoring and moving the ball more difficult.

The above are all JMO.

3. gt86

gt86 Walk On

After I was up big in a few games I got call out for killing the clock and was told to run the score up on them because it's boring to those players when someone runs the clock.

As for subbing in backup players I try to do that at the start of the 4th qtr but 9 times out of 10 the other player quickly hits resume after i pause so that only give me like 40 secs to try to do all my subs.

4. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

Alot of times you are damned if you do dmned if you dont.

5. Thelou

Thelou Walk On

It wasnt just this game Tank and like I said, I will call bullshit when I smell it. I don't know the Rams owner and I don't have anything personal against him but a few of his games have seemed very lopsided and could have easily been handled differently. On the outside looking in it's a different story very true. Not being involved with the game itself it's just my opinion but being up 35-7 at halftime, and even with your opponent turning the ball over, it seems would be a good time to work on some not familiar plays. Those usually result in very few scores. Because you get an interception or a fumble doesnt mean you have to try to advance it.

This is all speculation on my part, I have nothing to go on except a few owner comments and the boxscores which show scores after being up by more than three scores. It's definately a slippery slope, damned if you do, damned if you dont, but a few owners don't know how to chalk it up to just a bad game or madden wanted me to get drilled this game.

To sum it up my post was made to bring awareness to that rule and this issue and for guys to keep it in mind in the heat of battle. Take a dive if you have to, take your time picking your play, try some new plays or sub in some backups, whatever it may take to keep the sportsmanship intact.

Ox, I hope you dont take this personal, it's just not the first time that I have noticed one of your boxscores. There's no doubt that you are a offensive jugernaut just trying to see if you could maybe hold one or two ponies in the stable.

6. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

Ox's undefeated record is not respected lol. Offensive juggernaut I think NOT 49ers were on there way to a cruising victory till I got into a fight up 21-6 (also note he played the larger portion of the second half vs the cpu).

Stop Jackson and make him throw is your key to victory.

7. adross33

adross33 Walk On

Its always a tough call ... in my recent game against Stealth ... his Bengals just didnt get any bounces and I could tell he was frustrated ... and I thought running out of bounds with a few seconds left on an 80 int was the better call .... not to rub it in his face, but in an effort to just not make it worse .... did it make it any better? Likely not much ...

I think it comes down to each owner ... I will rarely run in a late 4th qrt score if I'm up big .. but I won't dog the clock either .. I'll just get close and take a FG .. I think 3 hurts less than 7 ... and gives the guy a chance to work on his offense etc ....

I also agree .. if someone has given up .. not doing much etc .. running instead of passing when behind ... I'll take the hint and run it out too ....

8. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

Yes my Vikings are dying to get a shot at the OX!

But I have to give the guy kudos for really getting alot out of a roster that is just abysmal.

And the key IS to stop Jackson. Period. But he is good at audibling and hot routing to the open spot in a defense. Again - hats off to him.

Gaddy - where I am from we have code-worded that as "bad weather". When your girl walks in front of the TV it might just be "cloudy", but when she sits on the couch next to you with "the look" or blabbing about some bullshit it can be called a thunderstorm, downpour, etc. Sounds like you got caught in a tornado. Those suck.

9. bigmandy54

bigmandy54 mac54

I have played ox twice this year and he has played a fair game both times, he also won both times and he has taken his time with play calling he also walked to the line. In addition if u turnover the ball 8times its hard not to put up points.

And quoting Jim Johnson "If you don’t want the opponent to run up the score, then stop them."

10. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

how can you say i ran the score up when i only threw the ball 4 times? I rarely score in the second half in the vast majority of my games so far. I usually am just trying the end the game but its frowned to run the clock down.

11. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

The fourth quarter score was a avery return TD. He broke a bunch of tackles so i wanted to give it to him, in retropect i think i should have run out of bounds. Ask JC, we both were just running it to end the game.

12. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

I have a top 5 defense, the number one offense, so there will be some lob sided games but most of the ppl ive played would say i have not rubbed it in their face. My turnover margin is +35 so once again its hard to keep the scores close when you keep turning the ball over and i dont.

I lead the league in rushes attempted by 50 carries, almost 200 pass attempts below the league leader and i am top 5 team in punts attempted.

All i can say is i will try to keep the scores down but everyone that plays madden knows that there can be a 21 point swing in the matter of a minute. I am just fortunate it hasnt happened against me.

13. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

Your turnover margin is impressive.

14. Thelou

Thelou Walk On

Everything you said is true and I have never accused you of being an "unfair" player. I gave you props for your offense and to get that many oportunities to score, you have to have a hellavu defense. Like you said though, on the TD by Avery, even if he did break several tackles, what was the benefit of scoring. I know i'm arm chair quarterbacking here but sometimes we get so into the game, we forget about the little things that may be seen as having a big consequence.

My post has achieved it's purpose. You seem like you have already been trying to mitgate the scoring as much as possible but sometimes, no matter what you do, scoring is unavoidable. Great season so far and gl the rest of the way. By the way, you owe me an apology for saying I left you with a crappy team.....:p

15. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

oh yes i understand, im not taking it personally and i know your not calling me out for running the score up. Sometimes its unavoidable and im just letting everyone know that im not going into these games with scoring 50 on my mind.

16. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

lol yes im sorry lou. I never played with the rams before this league and was amazed what a below average defense can do if you have the players in the right positition.

17. Trashyman44

Trashyman44 THELOU CRUSHER

So i wanted to give it to him??This isn't the nFL,that's the worse quote I've ever seen when looking up why i scored and shouldn't have.

Now we lost a good owner bc of that shit. I'm new here, but i run 2 leagues and play in 3 others and in no way is scoring when ur up that much condoned.

If i was the commish you would be gone or at least have players suspended,and it seems to happen alot here.

2 good owners quit this week bc of the gameplay.

18. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

i think if you score on KR or PR no matter what the score is does it matter? i would take it to the house every time if i could. INT returns you just dive to the ground, but KR and PR take it to the house I dont care if your up 50, so hard to get a PR for a TD, i dont think i have ever even got one against CPU or user, and i ve played 100+ online games plus franchise

19. scarface

scarface Walk On

MEGA has rules fucking follow them or get the f__k out

if you dont think scoring 56 points is running up the score then you are an idiot, sub players out run the ball with back ups.

There are plenty of things that can be done with regards to not run up the score.

am I am sorry if you are up huge and have a "break away" its fucking courtesy to run out of bounds all you are doing at that point is stat padding anyway which is cheese ass shit too.

I am tired of guys posting this stuff and not thinking its OK to do this stuff, MAGS has rules and you guys need to follow them.

if you want a league with no scoring rules and blah blah blah then make your own league.

WTF guys serious?

20. scarface

scarface Walk On

BTW this league doesnt have a SCORE IF ITS RARELY DONE RULE either..

up big and getting a KR because you dont get many is still considered being a dick and cheesy.

LOL I could see some guys now ,,,, well I was up 4287396236 points but I never have returned a kick off so I said wtf is 7 more points!!! YAY ME !!!!!!!

21. Trashyman44

Trashyman44 THELOU CRUSHER

then u should go play easo bc thats a retarded response.

It does matter how much ur up and u SHOULDN'T SCORE on anything,KR,PR etc.

I suck and even i have had games where im up and i just dive,if they score 1 td then i put it back up by 1 but not if im up 3 - 4 scores.

I have heard so much from my friends in this league about the integrity and ive seen some shady shit and now 2 of the people who recruited me left.

that's all im sayin.

22. scarface

scarface Walk On

trashy, you got it right if you are up 3-4 scores and they score then go ahead and keep the lead BUT to score and score and score and just say fuck it is BULLSHIT.

And I assure you if its done alot those owners will find themselves out of mega.

some people just feel they are entitled to shit and not sure where that comes from.

23. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

That being said, some guys give up and dont even try to play defense when there down 21, where as a guy like me keeps pluggin a way at his offense and defense to find a way to beat a guy like ox, for when we play next game. Once you settle for and all out pass game and big plays once your down, your done. Plus if you try to blitz on D to much to try and create a big play you ll end up getting burnt for big plays. You need to keep to your regular offense/defense what ever it may be. you know hes playing pass defenses, causes all the TO thats why NFL teams continue to run the ball most of the game even when there down and dont go all out passes till the end or if they cant rush the ball at all. I played Big Ox he beat me but i took a lot out of that game and when we play in playoffs( i Hope) i have adjustments because i had 7 TO to his 1 and lost 41-27but i also had 468 yds of offense to his 268.

24. RCF33

RCF33 Walk On

Hey I have Been on the end of a few of these games . In the other league though and this is the same BS . He ( not mentioning Names but lets just say he is in this league ) was up 55 to 10 with 30 sec left in the game and I had to punt it away , so what did he do he ran the PUNT Back for a TD for a final of 62-10 . This is Total BULL SH*& . This should not be allowed . Is your winning big that much that you cost this league an owner that played Straight . Sorry I dont think so !!!!!

25. scarface

scarface Walk On

Guys these things need to pointed out and these guys need to be booted from the league, I am sorry but if someone were to do that I will post all over these forums on how big a cheeseball said person is.