Is this running up the score?

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by bcduggan, Oct 4, 2009.

1. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Is this running up the score?

Disclaimer: This did not happen in a tradition dynasty or league.

Playing an online dynasty game last night. I was down 42-21 early 4th quarter. About 5:50 left. My opponent has the ball at my 32, 4th or 5th play on drive. Since the game is over, he should run the ball right? He doesn't run, he throws the ball completes it for a TD.

I'm just looking for some opinions. Thanks.

2. Dhest23

Dhest23 Guest

Yes, definitely

3. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I would say that it isn't the most sportsmanship-like thing he could have done. However, a little more information would probably put it into better context. What down was it? How many yards to the first down? Was the pass a bomb?

4. Chiang-Shih

Chiang-Shih Banned

It really depends on a few things. What down was it and what yardage. Was he outside of FG range for his kicker? Was this for Madden or NCAA? If it's NCAA he most likely was outside FG range. But on Madden he probably was not. If he was chucking it down into the end zone then yes it's running up the score.

I'll give you a clear running up the score. I was playing a game down 28-17 he has the ball with under a minute and runs 4 consecutive toss plays to Demps/Moody to score another TD. This was on TF.

5. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

Going for it on 4th and 5 while ahead by 21? Sound like running up the score.

I was in a game about a week and 1/2 ago, here on TF. The player was ahead by 2 scores with under 2 minutes left. He was passing the ball to get down the field, and went for it on two 4th downs. With 5 seconds left, he called a time out to set up for a FG. Bull shit, yes... but I just realize where ever I play, there are going to be ass-holes that do that, even here on TF.

6. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

There's a difference between running up the score and trying to close out the game.

Running up the score would be hurrying up to maximize the number of plays in order to put more points on the board or pad stats.

If I have the lead and you're completely expecting run and putting 10 or 11 guys in the box, yeah I'm going to chuck it. (see Tom Brady).

Why would I run the ball when your expecting it and stacking up to stop it? By this logic, I'd be further off just kneeling on it and then punting it.

My offensive plan as always is to take what the defense gives me. Doesn't matter what scenario. Just running my offense.

With that said though, if a guy is just chucking it deep then that is pretty bad. I'd at least use some discretion and throw a swing pass or a fade while still running clock.

7. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I would think this should be brought up to the administration here as this greatly goes against what TF attempts to represent.

8. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Beat me to it. We don't stand for bullshit here and swift action is typically taken against those who aren't what we are looking for. We are all about protecting what this community stands for.

9. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

21 points is quite the spread, probably run some clock play and play d. If you punt and the guy gets within two scores than do what you have to do to keep the ball in your hands. Good thing this didnt happen in a tradition league.

10. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

It was 1st and 10 in my situation.

Other info it was about a 20 yard completion, however the way the receivers ran the DB got picked up by another receiver.

Final was 49-21, that's only because I didn't feel like playing after what I perceived was running up the score by a "sim" player. I ran the ball for 3-4 minutes after that because I didn't want him to get another TD off of me.

I ended up retiring from the dynasty because the way the guy who played me wasn't as sim as he thought besides my perception of that TD. He was also the commissioner of the dynasty.

11. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Yeah on a 1st and 10 he should be running the ball and milking the clock. If it was say 3rd and 5 I don't mind him passing because you can say he's just trying to keep the ball and close it out - but he also shouldn't be throwing to the end zone there either.

12. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Shouldnt ever happen here, you need to let the proper people know who it was so this can be squashed.

IMO 3 scores with six minutes left is enough. Run the ball kick the figgie and get outta there with a W.

No need to throw it for tds there.

13. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

we can't do anything about it if you don't let somebody in management know that it happened to you.... start with your commish, if you don't get any results.. move up the chain.

Please people, if someone is running it up or playing in an unsportsmanlike manner.. please let someone know via PM what happened after the game.

14. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I have no problem with throwing on 3rd to try for the first when up by 17 or more in the 4th. I do it if it's there is plenty of time left in game. If, however, under 3 or minutes left with the lead that high, I would rather run the ball, esp in user games. Only had 1 game like that in user games where I was leading by that much. I only threw the ball I think twice in the second half and I was up the whole second half by 21-27 points. Those plays were plays designed for the halfback to catch the ball. Both were on 3rd down, both were stopped well short of first down.