Issues with cap penalties.

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jeremy, May 4, 2010.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Issues with cap penalties.

I am hearing from some unhappy owners who cut/traded and overbid FA from this offseason or previous years. According to conversations I have had with nate and dunlap, ANY overbid FA that was cut or traded outside of the allowed penalty exemption period where to incur cap penalties. The exemption period would begin immediately following the OMFL Bowl and end the the START of the draft. Owners have released players after the draft and are under the impression that they are not to be penalized. Are rules are vague on players cut AFTER the year they were signed and doesnt specifically note anything about overbid FAs cut after their signed year.

2. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

I have heard this too. I thought that the rules stated that you could release them in the offseason without penalty. That would be up until the first game is played correct? I have a few players that I still need to cut to get under. I didnt get into any of the big bidding wars that they are probably referring to, but i have to cut 1 or 2 7 pointers to get under the cap. Cutting before game 1 was allowed last year too. I remember because I put myself in such cap hell. I had to drop some players that I won in the offseason and really wanted on my team to get under the cap.

3. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

No the offseason ends when the draft begins. That was stated several times in several threads saying that if you wanted to cut a player with no penalty then it had to be BEFORE the draft began.

What I am willing to discuss is how we charge for a penalty. Right now it is the overall minus what they paid, they pay the difference. For players who were slightly overpaid thats not bad at all, for players in the 30-40 point range, thats huge.

4. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

So that I know I am understanding correctly. Ok so Vishal made the following moves this morning to get under the cap. Since they were made today, there is a penalty? If so, how would we penalize for this?

okay after these cuts i should be under the cap, will need to add a player to get to 53 players.

Cuts

RG Max Jean-Giles 72ovr 6points
    CB Donald Florence 59ovr 4points

New Cap 363
    52 Players

5. Jeremy

Penalties are just for OVERBID FAs web..Those guys look to be minimum salary players.

6. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

Oh OK. That makes alot of sense. That is where my confusion was coming in. Sorry about that Nate. I didn't understand. You definitely made it clear about the overbid free agents. Thanks guys.

7. natedawg212000

ya, now we are on the same page

8. Big D

Big D Walk On

We need to stay firm on this rule IMO....atleast for this final Madden 10 season. As Nate said, we noted probably literally dozens of times in the threads that you needed to cut before the draft if you didn't want a penalty. Not sure how much clearer that we could be.

Perhaps we could go to a rolling scale starting next season. The UFL has given me a couple of good ideas. But I'm too busy today to discuss. On the air in a couple hours. Goin to prep now.

9. sammymitchell25

sammymitchell25 Walk On

The rule book actually says "offseason", doesn't specify when, before or after draft, everyone assumed they could all the way until tuesday.

I did drop DT Peko (last years FA win for 21) the day of the draft to clear cap space going by the rules as it was written, Maybe this thread is because of me doing that, or there are far worse situations.

If I do have to take a cap hit, which honestly wouldn't be fair as its written that way, ill just keep Peko. but i have to do a huge overhaul as i built my transactions knowing i was shaving off 21 points dropping him draftday,

If I knew that I had to drop him BEFORE the draft, I would've, instead of during. Alot of owner are going to mis-interpret the rules too, by the looks of this thread, I wasn't the only one.

So let me know if I have to pick him back up for 21, or hopefully im ok

10. natedawg212000

during the draft I'll let slide, but your not picking him back up. you dropped him and he was picked up by someone else, your loss.

IMO everyone who was cut after the draft, as stated, gets a cap hit.

11. Jeremy

What time did the draft OFFICIALLY end?

12. sammymitchell25

sammymitchell25 Walk On

Ok, It just seemed this thread was directed at me, seeing that the player i dropped went for about 50 points

It's not like my cap was in trouble and I had to dump high priced guys, I've been on track with my cap all offseason with no stupid claims.

I planned on dropping Peko the whole offseason, I wanted to wait to see if I won the FA's I placed claims on. If not, I would've kept him, and the free-agency spilled over into the draft.

It may have been written somewhere that the deadline to drop last years FA's was BEFORE the draft, but it wasn't written in the most important place, the rulebook!!

13. natedawg212000

No, not directed AT you, just an issue that is coming up. Jeremy, anything cut on the 3rd or beyond takes a cap hit. This way its easy. I think a lot of these guys are way over complicating things. All this was discussed and decided in year 1.

14. sammymitchell25

sammymitchell25 Walk On

Jeremy just posted at 6:48 that i have a cap hit for Peko, Thats not right

15. Jeremy

Ok..3rd and beyond. Going to have to go back and adjust again.

16. sammymitchell25

sammymitchell25 Walk On

sorry about this guys, but my offseason revolved around dropping this guy. The timing may not have been the best