It's game week boys...

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by AndyVanSlyke, Aug 29, 2011.

1. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Finally the real season is upon us. I don't know about you but this is always my favorite week of the year as we build up to the start of the season.

Let's take a look at our teams' games and a national game of the week.

Our schedule:

William and Mary @ VIRGINIA
    App. State @ VT
    Boise St. @ GEORGIA
    MISS. ST @ Memphis
    Akron @OHIO STATE
    Indiana St. @ PENN ST.
    SJSU @ Stanford
    EWU @ WASHINGTON
    Tulsa @ OKLAHOMA
    BYU @ Ole Miss.

National Game of the Week - Oregon @ LSU (played in Dallas)

How about a short blurb about your game and a prediction for the game of the week.

2. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

William and Mary @ VIRGINIA

I am nervous about this game for a few reasons.
    1. W & M is the preseason #1 in 1-AA.
    2. W & M beat us 2 years ago. This game actually ended up as a positive because it really forced the UVa. administration to make a move and finally cut ties with Al Groh.
    3. Not sure about the quarterback position.

What I am excited to see from Virginia:
    1. Lots of freshmen will play this year and they appear to be high ceiling guys. Tre Nicholson was the nations #2 cb last year. He is a 757 kid (Hampton Roads) with loads of speed and talent. Was with the first unit from the very first practice opposite Chase Minnifield (who is a very very good cb). He could eventually break some of Ronde Barber's old records. Darius Jennings and Dominique Terrell are 2 slot WR's with lot's of speed. One of them will most likely return kicks too. It will be nice to see guys with legit speed on the offensive side of the ball for a change. Clifton Richardson will get carries at RB. Daquan Romero will get reps at OLB with the second unit. Played at powerhouse Phoebus and came in early in January. Incredible motor. Anthony Harris at S has been turning heads with a very strong start in practice. Curious to see if he gets much time.

2. Who will step up at the quarterback position? A kid named Michael Rocco has the edge and I think the job is his. Played o.k. in limited time as a true freshman last year. True freshman David Watford, from Hampton High, is very much in the mix as well. I am sure that the staff would love to redshirt Watford, but don't be surprised to see him at some point. O.C. Bill Lazor seems like he really knows what he is doing, so I don't fear the position necessarily being a weak spot. We broke school passing records last year with a mediocre senior quarterback.

3. The 4-3 in it's second year. The transition last year was rough as London had to move Groh's very big, very clunky 3-4 guys into new roles. This year, we will see a much faster, much more sound defense.

Game prediction: UVa. 27, WM 17

NATIONAL GAME OF THE WEEK - With LSU's distractions, Oregon wins it 31-14.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ThePlague0208

ThePlague0208 Walk On

Boise St @ Georgia

First two games of the year are the biggest for Georgia with Boise St and S Carolina. So this is a true test to see if Mark Richt keeps his job for next year.

What gets me pumped is to see how Richt utlizes the top rated RB out of high school Isaiah Crowell. Being his first game as a collegiate I don't think he will het more than 10 carries.

Georgia has to win this and I can't wait!

Prediction: Georgia 31 Boise St. 30

4. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

Eastern Washington vs. UW in Seattle...EWU is the FCS champion (in the real world).....has a strong passing attack.

However the Dawgs should take this one.....Chris Polk had a knee problem on Aug. 19th....so he will be watched....Dawgs lost some depth at RB with Cooper being ruled ineligibile..

Nick Price starts at QB....Jake is gone......look to the Dawgs to win this one...may not be quite as easy as you think if they get to confident......

5. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Penn St vs Indiana St.

Unless Larry Bird comes out of retirement and can lead the Sycamores to a few touchdowns, the Nittany Lions should have nothing to worry about. Looking forward to seeing Silas Redd run wild and see how McGloin looks at qb. Should be a cake walk

• Like Like x 1
  6. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

SJSU is in a lot of trouble. All I can do is hope that since this is a local rivalry the Spartans will play with a chip on their shoulders and pull off the monumental upset. Not gonna happen though

7. TJM

TJM Walk On

This, except I am still up in the air about the Bolden/McGloin thing. Right now I am edging towards Bolden and am thinking he gets another chance to lead the Lions, hopefully a year matured. This team can be poised to do some damage and am actually somewhat confident they will have a decent game against Alabama with a decent chance for an upset in HV. They also finish the final 3 games of the season with Nebraska at home, and OSU/Wisky away, so its tough to say how the final season record turns out as who knows how OSU will turn out, Wisky usually doesnt seem to live up to expectations, and Nebraska might have run into a few roadblocks from playing a whole new schedule.

Overall, the team should definitely be an upgrade at just about every position. I see no reason PSU doesnt have a good shot at playing in the 1st B1G champsionship game.

8. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

yeah I would rather see Bolden as well, that bowl game last year was all I needed to see from McGloin

9. krbonn76

krbonn76 Walk On

Oklahoma is going to trounce Tulsa (like Rice did this year) on there way to another BCS championship.

Oregon beats LSU.

I can't wait till thursday! I have the whole day off and plan on sitting in the recliner all day and watching gameday till it starts. Looking forward to watching UK play WKU(go cathedral!)

10. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

WKU vs. Kentucky....yes sir....just read this is part of a 4 year deal....hope the Hilltoppers are making some $$....it could be ugly, could be, will be....last year's score was 63-28 Kentucky...

On to the big game, Oregon, got my master's there....down to LSU...should be a good one...long road trip, so you have to favor, but not like, LSU...

11. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

12. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

actually been a common practice for awhile at VT...see Vick, Marcus

13. krbonn76

krbonn76 Walk On

It is the eve of game day and i am stocked and ready for tomorrow. I have the day off and plan on camping in front of the tv all day and watching some football. I do have an idea if anyone is interested of having a little cathedral field trip and going to watch a game this year. I think it would be awesome to get together and watch the sport we all love.

14. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

Everyone come to Texas for a game!

15. krbonn76

krbonn76 Walk On

Let's go watch Mcguffie

16. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

The weekend of Oct 28th.

Thursday - Rice v Houston
    Friday - TCU v BYU at Cowboys Stadium
    Saturday - Texas, A&M, and Tech are all home