Jacksonville Jaguars

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big D, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Big D

Big D Walk On

Jacksonville Jaguars

From the Jacksonville Post-Intelligencer

Jaguars Turmoil Continues: Fire 2nd Coach in Two Weeks
    by: Harry Stone
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

The firing earlier today of the previous Jacksonville Jaguars coaching administration brings to an end the shortest tenured regime in the history of the National Football League.

The turmoil inside the Jaguars franchise is omnipresent, rearing its ugly head in nearly every corner of day to day operations. From needs at key positions that havent been addressed to lack of salary cap knowledge and management, Owner Wayne Weaver had enough. And apparently the 41-0 trounching at the hands of the Seattle Seahawks in the final exhibition game didn't help either.

Two weeks of a stale coaching staff came to and end this morning.

Enter new head coach and General Manager Dunlap. One of the youngest, yet brightest minds in the game today will get his shot on the big stage.

"While it's exciting being given the opportunity that only a select few get, we have our work cut out for us," says Dunlap. "We have serious needs in key positions, and our salary cap has been severly mismanaged."

Dunlap is pointing to numerous reports that ownership was willing to spend big bucks, as much as large market teams such as New York and Seatte, to get the Jaguars back into championship contention. However, both previous GM's and their coaching staffs missed several oportunities to snag elite-level players and have their salary cap numbers at nearly a league low.

"We are in one of the toughest divisions in football, and digging ourselves out will require determination, patience, and perseverence," says the new coach.

Dunlap already seems to be more open and honest that other coaches in the leauge, leaving the press conference by saying, "I'll be honest, the playoffs this year may be tough. If you look at our schedule it's not very rewarding. Fortunately we have the cap space to be competitive down the road. And if the players buy into our system soon enough. . .we can even see about this year."

----

Harry Stone covers the Jaguars and Gators for the P-I

2. Big D

Big D Walk On

Coach Dunlap Gameday Press Conference Exerpts - Week 1
    By Harry-Stone

Q: How has the first week been with the Jaguars?
    A: Well it's been fast. There was a lot of stuff to accomplish to get this team ready for Week 1, and not a lot of time to do it. And coming in so late in the game certainly hampered us in some areas. But overall, I feel as tho we made progress as the season opens.

Q: 5 days to prepare for the Colts. . .is that really enough time?
    A: No. But 500 days might not be enough either. It's hard to stop one of the greatest offensive machines in the history of the game. Look, you know they are going to throw it, but Peyton is going to come out in the shotgun 80% of the time make his checks and audibles and many times he can outthink a defense. We know they are going to make us bend. . .hopefully it will be bend but not break.

Q: How do you plan to attack them offensively?
    A: (Laughs) I may be new on the job, but I know not to give my gameplan to you Harry. I think we will be successful moving the ball. We will have to be to be successful.

3. Big D

Big D Walk On

Jaguars Game Post-Mortem: Week 1
    By: Harry Stone

After the Jaguars opening week loss to the Colts we caught up with Coach Dunlap for post-game comments.

"Well, first off let's start with Maurice. He is the leader of this team, and to lose him to an unfortunate injury like that really took us out of our gameplan. We were forced to throw the ball more, which is something we really don't like to do. The good news is it looks as though we will wave him back for week 4.

I really liked our defensive effort. They kept us in the ballgame, allowing only 14 points midway into the 4th quarter. We had our opportunities offensively, but we were never able to get into a rythm.

Offensively, we must react to game situations better. I'll take the blame for playcalling but our players need to execute better as well. We turned the ball over 3 times in the first 3 quarters. If we hadn't we may have had the lead or better. And when you march down the field on your opening drive going 15+ plays and chewing up nearly 8 minutes, only to have to settle for three points, thats a serious momentum killer.

Look we will get back to practice on Monday and start preparing for week two without Maurice."

4. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

3 top-tier RBs out in Week 1..I like the increased injuries but this is getting a little out of hand

5. Big D

Big D Walk On

It's funny. . .I've played probably 10 or so games with the Jags online and Jones has never been injured enough to even miss the rest of 1 game. . .frustrating. Gonna be a tough two weeks.

6. Big D

Big D Walk On

Jaguars game Post-Mortem: Week 2

Jaguars Game Post-Mortem Blog: Week 1
    By: Harry Stone, Jacksonville Post-Intelligencer

Much happier locker room this week. Here's some exerpts from the press conference.

On offensive execution: "I couldn't be more happier with our efficiency. We controlled the clock, and didn't have to deviate from our plan even with Maruice out. Kudos to those guys up front for paving the way to this win."

On rushing defense: "Look its no secret we traded for Castillo and Weddle to improve our run defense, and I think its showing. There are going to be games where we struggle, but we haven't yet. It's nice when you make teams one dimensional."

On Greg Jones: "Awesome. . .just awesome. I asked him to step up today and he did. Just a career game for him"

On rookie Rashad Jennings: "He gets his first start of his career and carries 19 times for 106. Thats impressive. We'll need him next week for a big divisional game."

On mistakes: "This is the second week we've had a missed field goal. When we bring a guy in and pay him the big bucks we expect him to perform. I trust that won't happen again. And although David (Garrard) was efficient today he threw another pick. If it had been a closer ballgame it could have killed us. We need him to start being a better decision maker."

On the Cardinals: "They are a good team who had some recent turmoil when the previous head coach left mid week. You really couldn't ask a team to perform much better than they did considering the circumstances. I'm sure they will be a headache for everybody over there in the NFC. Hopefully we will see them again this year!"

7. Big D

Big D Walk On

Jags-Seahawks Trade. Breakin' it Down

Jags-Seahawks Trade. Breakin' it Down
    By Harry Stone, Jacksonville Post-Intelligencer

Wow!

That was the reaction heard throughout eastern Florida today when news of the blockbuster trade got to the water coolers.

The Jaguars sent Pro Bowlers Rasheen Mathis and Tra Thomas to Seattle for star defensive end Patrick Kerney as well as defensive tackle Brandon Mebane and two young corners.

Also included in the deal were Jaguars Bryan Russel, Duece McAllister, and Zach Thomas as well as Seahawk Sean Locklear.

Coach Dunlap seemed excited about his new defensive look in his press conference. "First off I want to wish all of the best to Rasheen and the others. They have been a vital part of this Jaguars organization, and I hope they have a chance for some success up there in the Nortwest. I'd also like to welcome Kerney and Mebane to our defensive front which I think will be the best in football. Our two young corners will be tested, but hopefully our frontal pressure from Castillo, Kerney, Mebane, and Henderson can help slow down the opponents passing attack. This is an exciting day for Jaguar football!"

Indeed the Jaguars do immediately become one of the leagues best run defenses with the addition of Kerney and Mebane, along with early season aquisitions Castillo and Weddle.

The key will be what kind of pressure the new front 4 can put on opposing quarterbacks. If Jacksonville can play 7 guys in coverage they should be a top teir defense, but if they are forced to committ 5 or 6 guys to the pass rush the new young cornerbacks will be tested.

The new look front four will be tested early as they face the high powered Houston Texans in a key divisional game next week.

Perhaps overlooked in the trade will be the role rookie HB Rashad Jenning had in getting this trade done. His emergence last week allowed Duece McAllister to become expendable which may have been the final piece to the puzzle.

8. Big D

Big D Walk On

Jaguars Hoping Blockbuster Offseason Pays Off
    By: Harry Stone, Jackonville Post-Intelligencer

JACKSONVILLE, FLA-

One week. That is what will define the legacy of Coach Dunlap and his tenure in Jacksonville.

He rolled the dice and pulled off perhaps the two biggest trades of the offseason and turned heads across the OMFL.

The rest of the league has taken notice. The Jacksonville Jaguars are for real. They aren't satisfied with an exit in the Divisional Playoffs last year. They want and expect to win on a consistent basis. They want an OMFL Bowl Trophy.

First, when rumors that wide receiver Steve Smith was on the market, Dunlap pounced. He sent receiver Tory Holt and guard Brian Waters to Carolina in exchange for one of the most explosive offensive stars in the game today.

Then, in likely the biggest trade in OMFL history, the Jacksonville Jaguars landed All-Pro quarterback Drew Brees in a massive four way trade. The Jaguars gave up defensive tackle John Henderson and their 1st round pick (25th overall) in the deal that also involved the Saints, Browns, and Lions.

These two moves mean the Jaguars offense just went from mediocre and predictable, to dangerous and explosive. Add in free agents Chris Henry at reciever and future Hall of Fame Fullback Tony Richardson, and the Jaguars now have weapons across the board to compliment reigning AFC MVP Maurice Jones-Drew.

"We had two goals going into the offseason. One was to improve our offense. Now did I think we were going to land three potential Hall of Fame players in one offseason? No. But the opportunity presented itself and we moved. We were able to do this without sacrificing much, honestly."

When you throw in defensive upgrades at tackle (Sean Rogers) and cornerback (Sheldon Brown) and the Jaguars have perhaps had the most unexpected and blockbuster offseasons in history.

Oh and they still have a draft.

Drew Brees, Steve Smith, Tony Richardson, Sean Rogers, Sheldon Brown. Dunlap has pulled off a coup. He was playing chess while everybody else was playing checkers.

OMFL take notice. Jacksonville has arrived.