JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by majesty95, Sep 14, 2012.

1. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  2. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  3. Jbbubba

Jbbubba Walk On

Coach Name: Jacob Deyo​
    Offensive Playbook: Balanced​
    Offensive Scheme: Stated as West Coast (do position preferences change this?)​
    Defensive Playbook: 4-3​
    Defensive Scheme: Stated as Spread​

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jbbubba

Jbbubba Walk On

Change in scheme:
    Offensive Scheme: Power Run
    Defensive Scheme: To be listed (when I get on console)

5. maniac13

maniac13 Walk On

Is the scheme something you just adjust by player or can you do it by team?

6. Jbbubba

Jbbubba Walk On

You can do both actually, I forget where the option is, but you can change both the overall scheme (which changes the importance of each position) and the position preference, such as a power or speed running back

7. klhart49

klhart49 Walk On

[AP]: The Jacksonville Jaguars have decided to fire their coach after a disappointing season and hire Florida Gators head coach Kevin Hart as his replacement. After a series of short-tenured and unsuccessful coaches, the Jacksonville ownership hopes Kevin Hart can continue the success he had in nearby Gainesville that led the Gators to five SEC championships, two national championships, a Sugar Bowl victory, and an Orange Bowl victory in six seasons.

Coach Hart is known as a conservatively-minded offensive coach who likes to control the clock with long drives built around running the ball and short passes that he designs to "break the spirit of the opposing defense". The Jaguars front office staff is excited to have a clear direction for the team and looks forward to seeing a stronger, tougher, and overall more physical team out on the field, and hope to see that change result in more wins.

Jaguar ownership officially introduced the new Jacksonville head coach at a press conference earlier in the day. See below for a transcript.

---------

Owner: It is our distinct pleasure to introduce the new coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars, Kevin Hart!

Coach: Thank you. (addressing the media): We'll get to a Q&A shortly but first I just wanted to say a few quick words. Namely, that it's an honor to be a member of the Jacksonville Jaguars. It was a tough decision to leave the University of Florida, but I felt like the time was right to do so. But more than that, it had to be the right fit - the right situation – for me to agree to move on, and I believe that that's what we have here in Jacksonville. And I want to thank the Owner and GM for their forthrightness through this whole process and for making me feel comfortable and welcome from day one, and I have to thank my family for being so supportive of me as I chased down the next chapter of my career. It's scary but it's exciting and they've been great the whole ordeal; the long nights, the back-and-forth discussions in my head, all of it. But with that I'll stop talking for a bit and open up the floor for questions.

Media: You said this was the right time and right situation for you to leave the University of Florida. What made this the right decision for you?

Coach: Well first I just want to reiterate that this definitely was a tough decision for me. But I've had this nagging in the back of my head for the past couple years that I wanted to go to the NFL, I wanted that next challenge. Truthfully, that jump scared me to death. I am definitely a man who fears change, and so for me to leave a comfortable and successful position speaks to the excitement I have to be the new coach of the Jaguars.
    I was hesitant to switch spots though because I didn't want to uproot our family. That was one of the great advantages of the Jaguars; we're only about an hour and a half away from Gainesville which has been our home for the past six years. But in Jacksonville I see a young team eager for success, and a front office that will let me do what I think is necessary to turn this team around. They've expressed a confidence in me that is rare in this business and it just makes me more excited to come to work and more motivated to justify the confidence they have in me.

Media: What was the locker room reaction when you told them you were leaving?

Coach: Well I don't want to get into specifics of what was said, but I'd be lying if I said there weren't tears – on both sides. A coach is seen as a role model for his players, but these players were role models for me as well. The thing that kept me in college for so long was the fact that I love working with the players – bringing them in as 18 year old kids, helping them through what I feel are the four most important years of your life – and turning them into men who hopefully leave with a degree and ready to go out into the world. You definitely develop a relationship with these players, and it's tough to say goodbye to that.

Media: At Florida you led a very conservative offense, heavy running. Do you think that offense can succeed at the next level, in a league that just keeps getting more and more pass heavy?

Coach: Absolutely. There are still teams out there who love to run the ball and if built correctly can be very successful at it. Keep in mind; as offenses get more pass-heavy, defenses also change. They get quicker, yes, but smaller. They lose a defensive lineman, and add a defensive back. So if you build your offense behind a big, strong, run-blocking offensive line, absolutely you can have success running the ball in this league.

Media: Will you continue using the 3-4 defense?

Coach: I'll have to work with my defensive coordinator and evaluate the talent that we have before making that decision. I would be hesitant to change the defensive scheme here mid-season.

Media: You're taking over a team that has had its ups and downs. They've had their high points, they've had their low points, but they've never hoisted the Lombardi trophy. What will it take to deliver this franchise's first Super Bowl?

Coach: It all starts with this team believing in themselves. You're right, this franchise has had its down moments, and we're in one right now; that's why they're hiring new coach. In order to win games – not just a championship, but just winning games consistently – the players and coaches have to believe they not only can win but have the right to win. If you don't believe you're going to win then you've already lost, and that's the message that I have instill in these players' minds.

Press Conference Director: Okay, last question please.

Media: This fan base is hungry for success. How long do you think it will take to return this team to the playoffs?

Coach: I'm not going to stand here and tell you that we'll be in the playoffs this year or give you any sort of timeline. But if there's one thing I know about the NFL it's that coaches have short shelf-lives, and if you don't show signs of improvement in the first two or three years then you're going to be out of a job. But I'll say this: I would not have come to the NFL and to the Jacksonville Jaguars if I didn't believe this team could win games.

Press Conference Director: All right folks, thank you for your time. There will be plenty of time for questions over the next few weeks but for now Coach Hart is excited to get to work.

• Like Like x 2
  8. klhart49

klhart49 Walk On

"I think Kevin Hart is exactly what the Jaguars need" - Mark Schlereth

Coach: Kevin Hart
    Offensive Scheme: Balanced Offense
    Offensive Playbook: SF - Jim Haurbaugh
    Defensive Scheme: Base 4-3
    Defensive Playbook: 4-3

• Like Like x 1
  9. klhart49

klhart49 Walk On

Strong running, tough defense; just what we've come to expect from Coach Kevin Hart, who picked up his first career win today with a 14-6 defeat over the Green Bay Packers in his Jacksonville debut. The team set the pace early with a quick 3-and-out and a 44 yard run by Maurice Jones-Drew on their first offensive play, and continued another signature from Coach Hart's days at the University of Florida with a defensive touchdown when Linebacker Paul Posluszny returned a fumble 24 yards to give the Jags the lead in the second quarter.

Though the defense was dominant (held Green Bay out of the end zone and to only 157 yards), the bigger story of the game may have been how poorly Jaguars QB Philip Rivers played. Rivers had 3 first half interceptions and finished with 4 for the game. Overall he just looked off his game: missing reads, forcing passes, and badly overthrowing a wide open Mercedes Lewis deep down the field. The Jacksonville quarterback didn't have much to say after the game, but when Coach Hart was asked about it he tried to keep the attention on the positives, saying “Yes, Philip had a bad game, but it's just one game, and a win at that. Luckily for us, his bad game came at a time when our defense was dominant and Maurice was running great.”

Jones-Drew did have a strong game, ending with 149 yards despite Green Bay utilizing a 4-6 defense for the majority of the game. The receivers were able to out-muscle the Green Bay corners on the outside, and the interior line did a good job of opening up holes in the middle of the quick but undersized Packer defense.

The Packers' offense was a complete 180 from the Jaguars. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers was efficient, but his receivers were unable to get any separation downfield. Despite a running game that could never get it going, Rodgers had his team in a position to tie the game at the end. Under 2 minutes and down 8 Green Bay was able to drive inside the Jacksonville 5-yard line. The fans thought the comeback was nearly complete when Aaron Rodgers found Jermichael Finley in the end zone on 4th down, but the play was called back for illegal touching. From there, Jacksonville handed the game over to MJD who was able to run out the clock.

It was Coach Hart's first career win, but an ugly one. After the game, Coach Hart simply said with a smile, “I'll take it.”

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  10. klhart49

klhart49 Walk On

Excerpt from the press conference following Jacksonville's 31-10 win over the Buffalo Bills:

Coach: Good win today. Our guys came out fired up and they fought hard. It was a good bounceback game for Philip Rivers, going from four interceptions last week to 3 touchdowns today. I thought our defense played great again minus the one long touchdown drive we gave up and we had some big runs as well to keep the opposing defense off balance. So this was definitely a complete team win for us today with a lot of different guys contributing. I'll open the floor up for questions now.

Media: Coach, you came out throwing the ball today, and that pass-first mentality continued all game. Was that the gameplan going in?

Coach: No actually. But after we got the interception on the first play of the game we wanted to take a shot in the end zone and really get the home crowd fired up. From there the passing was just an adjustment to the defense; Buffalo brought their safeties up to the line of scrimmage quite a bit, so Philip was checking off of the run and going to the pass.

Media: It was a big game for Mercedes Lewis today and he's becoming the number one target in the passing game. Is that by design?

Coach: Our gameplan is to throw the ball to the open guy. Today that was Mercedes Lewis, more times than not. But I think Philip did a much better job spreading the ball around today than he did last week; that was a big reason for his success today.

Media: Your defense struggled today stopping Fred Jackson. Is your run defense a source of concern for you?

Coach: Not too much. We were playing with a lead all game and so we got a bit conservative, and Buffalo took advantage by running the ball against our Nickel and Dime defenses. So I'm not overly concerned.

Media: The team's 2-0 since you got here and 3-2 overall. Are the playoffs in this team's future?

Coach: Well I hope so. I'm not trying to get ahead of myself. The most important game of the season is the next one. Do I think we have a good team here? Yes, I do. But we have a lot of football yet to be played before we can start talking playoffs.

Media: You guys were 8 for 9 on 3rd down today, and these weren't all 3rd and 1's. What allowed this team to keep drives moving?

Coach: Philip made some great reads today, especially on that long touchdown drive to open the second half. I think we converted 3 or 4 long 3rd downs through the air on that drive. Philip did a great job reading the defense, making adjustments at the line, and finding the open guy.

• Like Like x 2
  11. klhart49

klhart49 Walk On

Coach Hart's press conference following the 21-14 loss to the Houston Texans (danwin):

Coach: Disappointing loss today. We just let far too many opportunities slip through our hands. We had plenty of chances to put this game away, but instead we had two interceptions in the end zone, numerous dropped passes that could have been big gains, a few dropped interceptions, missed tackles on defense, and toward the end we just couldn't get off the field. I can't help thinking we should have won this game, and I can't help thinking we're going to want that win at the end of the season.

Media: The team came out very strong in the first half, especially on defense, but then things started going wrong in the second half. Do you think overconfidence set in?

Coach: I don't think it was overconfidence. I think the problem was two-fold. One part of it was our mistakes; the turnovers, the drops, the failure to put the game away when we could have. But the second part of it was the half-time adjustments that the Texans made. They figured out how to move the ball on us and we couldn't get off the field. So they made the second-half adjustments that they needed to make, and we didn't. We got away from the gameplan that was working for us, namely running the ball, which we did with great success throughout the game. We needed to stick with it more, but instead we outsmarted ourselves and started throwing deep, and we couldn't complete a deep ball today.

Media: You eluded to this already, but talk about why you went away from the running game in the second half.

Coach: That's a good question, and one that I sadly don't have a good answer for. The truth of the matter is that we outsmarted ourselves. We figured the defense was thinking run so we tried to pass, and we just didn't do that well today.

Media: Another poor game for Philip Rivers today. How do you explain his up and down year, and does his inconsistency concern you?

Coach: Inconsistency will drive you nuts as a coach. The poor numbers today aren't all on him though. Yes, the two interceptions in the end zone were killers, but we definitely had our share of drops today as well. I think it's taking him some time to get acclimated with the new offense, and I think he's putting too much pressure on himself. So we just need him to calm down, trust his ability, and I think he'll be fine.

Media: Any silver linings in the loss today?

Coach: We played well enough to win. We didn't win, but we played well enough to. Does that make us feel better? In a way, yes, but in a way it makes the loss that much harder to take. Silver linings don't matter in this business. All people will remember is who won and who lost, and unfortunately we're the latter.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  12. klhart49

klhart49 Walk On

[From Indianapolis]

It was not the game to watch if you're a fan of offense. The Jacksonville Jaguars improved to 4-4 today after a 14-0 win over the Colts in which the defenses were in control throughout. The victorious Jaguars didn't even pick up a first down until the second quarter, thanks to a dominant defensive front seven of the Colts that stymied one of the premier running backs in the league, Maurice Jones-Drew, for much of the game. And when the offense finally did get going, it was a takeaway by the defense that got them fired up; a fumble recovery on a 3rd and short that led to a touchdown pass to Mercedes Lewis a few plays later.

For Jacksonville, it was their pass rush that was the talk of the game. They picked up four sacks on Andrew Luck today and forced numerous more hurried passes and poor throws. Luck's name proved true as members of the Jaguars secondary dropped several would-be interceptions, or else this could have been a much more decisive contest. The star of the game was no doubt Jarius Byrd, who celebrated his return from injury with a fumble recovery and an interception in the end zone to keep the Colts off the board at the end of the first half.

Coach Hart had this to say about his offense after the game: "As are many head coaches, I'm a perfectionist, so right now I'm thinking about all the plays we could have made, especially on offense. But while we definitely need to improve on that side of the ball, the story today was the dominant play by our defense. Any time you shut out a team in the NFL you're doing something right and it's something to be proud of." The Jags definitely did do some things right, playing the field position battle and constantly keeping a long field ahead of the Colts.

The win stopped a two game losing streak by the Jaguars and brought them back to .500 and within one game of the AFC South-leading Tennessee Titans, but there wasn't a lot of celebrating going on in the Jacksonville locker room after the game. Asked about the slightly somber tone, Coach Hart said "The win feels good, but we all know we have a long way to go to get where we want to be."

13. klhart49

klhart49 Walk On

Press conference following the 31-28 loss to the Lions (woodsmall)

Media: Coach, you came in as big underdogs in this game, despite being at home. Is there a silver lining in keeping the game close throughout, making them beat you on a last second field goal?

Coach: Yes and no. Without doubt, I'm proud of the way our guys played today. Top to bottom I think the roster played great. For an offense that's been struggling, we had some big plays in the passing game. I thought Phillip threw well today, and Mercedes and Justin Blackmon had big games today. Maurice had a good game for us as well, and we did all this against the 3rd ranked defense in the league. Defense was strong too, considering the offense we were up against. We came out hot in the first quarter, but you're not going to keep an offense like this down for long.
    That said, a loss is a loss. Does it feel better to lose a close game? A bit maybe, but there's also the feeling of knowing that you were that close to coming away with the win and we didn't get it done. I guess I'd still take a close loss over a drubbing though. It is a loss, but I think we played well today and I think that this is a performance we can build on.

Media: Talk to us about that pass interference call on the Lions' last drive. You had a ...disagreement... with the ref on that call.

Coach: Yeah, I'm not one to question the refs' calls often, but I thought that one was a bad call. I thought Jarius was just going for the ball, and though he didn't catch up to it his momentum still took him into the receiver. But the fact of the matter is, the refs didn't cost us this game. We had our opportunities to win it. We gave the ball away twice on turnovers and had 3 or 4 dropped interceptions of our own, plus a fumble that we failed to recover. You can blame refs all you want, but it's a team's responsibility to play well enough that the game isn't in the refs' hands.

Media: On your last touchdown that tied the game at 28 with just under 2 minutes left, Mercedes Lewis had the big touchdown pass. Did you want him to score, or would you have rather seen him go down at the 1 and try to take this game to overtime?

Coach: I absolutely think he made the right choice to score there. I get what you're saying about stopping at the 1 and hopefully scoring with too little of time for the Lions to put another drive together. Mercedes asked me the same thing after the play. But you can't assume that you're going to get in the end zone, even on 1st and goal from the 1. You have to take the points there, and trust the defense to make a stop. Unfortunately we weren't able to do that.

Media: Phillip Rivers played well today, but still had the two interceptions, both of them coming on plays where he was trying to force the ball downfield to Mike Williams. Can Phillip ever take you to the next level when he keeps turning the ball over like that?

Coach: Well we need to cut down on our turnovers, there's no doubt about that. I understand what Phillip was trying to do. The Lions were bringing safeties up into the box a lot today, and so he wanted to exploit that by hitting guys down the field. Unfortunately some of those throws got away from him or he had some miscommunications with the receivers. I don't blame him for calling audibles and trying to take shots, but you're right, we have to avoid forcing passes to receivers that we *think* are going to be open. Pre-snap reads are important, but they don't replace post-snap reads.

Media: How were you feeling after jumping out to a quick 14-0 lead?

Coach: Good, obviously. A little surprised to be completely honest. But never complacent, never lazy. I never thought for a second that we had this game in the bag. The Lions are too good of a team for you to go to sleep on at any point, and they showed why yet again today.

Media: What do you have to do to start winning these close games?

Coach: First and foremost is the turnover differential. We've got to start winning the turnover battle. And that doesn't just mean throwing less interceptions, but it means coming down with some of our own. We had chances for interceptions today. Dropped balls - both on offense and defense - have been an all-too-common theme for us this season, and we've got to stop giving plays away.

I'll take one more question.

Media: Justin Blackmon had a big game today after what's been a pretty quiet year for him. What do you think allowed him to have a good game, and do you think it can continue?

Coach: It was all about the yards after catch for him today. And you saw that in everybody today. It was just willpower. Guys refusing to go down, refusing to give up. They weren't going to let the other guys out-hustle us or out-effort us. These guys believed all week they could beat Detroit, and they were right. We didn't beat them, but we played well enough to.
    Do I think Blackmon can continue playing well? Absolutely, he's a great wide receiver. I think we need to do a better job of getting him the ball, because he showed today how dangerous he can be.

14. klhart49

klhart49 Walk On

The AFC South just got a lot more interesting. The 24-6 win by the Jacksonville Jaguars over the Tennessee Titans (J-Hawk) pulls the AFC South to a 3-way tie, as the Jaguars and Titans join the Houston Texans (danwin), who defeated the Indianapolis Colts this week, atop the division at 5-5. It's been a different story of how the 3 teams have gotten there though. The Titans started off hot at 5-1, but have since dropped 4 straight games that have left their fans scratching their heads. The Texans started the season off slow, but have quickly turned things around and are taking advantage of the parody within the division. The Jaguars have been playing .500 football all season, hot one week and cold the next.

Coach Hart of the Jaguars knew this was a big game coming in. "We knew what this game meant coming into it; it meant a chance for us to control our own destiny. That's all you can hope for, to be in a position that if you get the job done you'll win the division. Still six games left to play this season, but it's good to know that if we take care of our business, we'll be in the playoffs."

In the press conference after the game, Coach Hart was asked what it would take to win the division. "We just have to execute more consistently. The number one thing is cutting down on turnovers and winning the turnover battle. The next is scoring touchdowns instead of field goals. And the third is having a balanced attack on offense. We did all three of those things today, and that's why we won. But it's not good enough to have one good game; we have to keep this level of play up throughout the rest of the season."

The Jaguars will have their opportunity to take control of their division as they still have one game left against each the Texans (week 14) and the Titans (week 17). Houston and Tennessee have already played each other twice this season.

The Jaguars host the Chicago Bears (2-7), the Titans head to New England to challenge the Patriots(9-1), and Houston travels to Pittsburgh to face the Steelers (3-6) next week, all looking to take sole possession of first place and gain control of the division.

15. klhart49

klhart49 Walk On

Jacksonville 37, Houston 6

Coach: I'm definitely happy with the way our guys played today. This was a huge game for us. Not only was it against a divisional rival, but it was for sole possession of first place, and a game that would put the driver's seat in the AFC South. Plus, they had already beaten us earlier in the season, so if they won this game they'd have a game advantage on us plus the tiebreaker, and it would have been very tough to overcome that. So we're feeling great right now. We played great and we're in control of our own destinies now. We certainly can't allow ourselves to get complacent because Houston is still a good team that can still win the division if we allow ourselves to get complacent. So we have to remain focused, continue our momentum, and finish the season out strong.

Media: You mentioned that you lost to Houston in the first encounter. What was different this time?

Coach: We didn't make mistakes that put our team in a disadvantage. No giveaways by our team today, and only a couple penalties. No dropped passes on offense that I can remember. Coming into today there were two things that I thought the game would come down to: the turnover battle and 3rd down conversion percentage. We won both of those today, and that's why we won the game.

Media: Another good game by Philip Rivers today: 12 of 21 for 162 yards and 2 touchdowns. Do you think his struggles are behind him?

Coach: We think so, yeah. I mean those aren't Tom Brady numbers or anything, but he's doing what we need him to do; not turning the ball over, finding the open guy, and letting him get yards after the catch. He's playing well right now, and I think we're peaking at the right time.

Media: Do you take any credit for the benching a couple weeks ago that seems to have lit a fire under him?

Coach: Philip deserves all the credit; him, the offensive line, and the receivers.

Media: Good game on the ground today. What was the key to that success?

Coach: I think we did a good job of taking advantage of the packages Houston came out in. When they went to their nickle and dime defenses, we ran up the middle and had good success with it. They kind of forces us there too, because Connor Barwin and JJ Watt were shutting down the right side where we typically like to run.

Media: Your defense shut down the Texans for much of the game. What was the gameplan coming in?

Coach: Well it was to stop Andre Johnson from being us, but he had over 100 yards receiving today so obviously we didn't do that. But I think we did a good job of stopping the big plays, shutting down the run, and keeping a long field ahead of their offense. And our offense kept putting the pressure on them, which forced them to go into the hurry up and become pretty one dimensional.

Media: Coach, you've taken a team that was 4-12 last season and gotten them to 8-5 and in first place in the division. How does that feel?

Coach: It feels good. Our goal coming in this season was to get to 8-8. I figured after a 4-12 season, that's doubling our win total and getting back to .500. Well we're already at 8 wins and still have 3 games to go. But throughout the season you're always adapting your goals, or adding to them. And just going .500 isn't good enough anymore; we're in a position to win the division and that's what we're going for. The truth is, we haven't really accomplished anything yet. But we're in a good spot and the energy in the locker room is very upbeat and optimistic.

• Like Like x 1
  16. klhart49

klhart49 Walk On

The playoffs are still ongoing, but for the teams not in it it's never too early to start looking toward the offseason. That was the topic of discussion today when interviewers caught up with Jacksonville Jaguars head coach Kevin Hart, who is going into his first NFL offseason after a successful debut with the team in which he led the Jags to an AFC South crown. Coach Hart took over in week 3 this season and made the best of the talent that was already there, but after a few midseason free agent additions he now gets his first shot at truly putting his fingerprint on the team.

But while Coach Hart, who works collaboratively with the General Manager on talent decisions, talked about wanting to get better at wide receiver, tight end, and along the offensive line, it was the players he talked about losing that got the most attention. Specifically, Coach Hart talked about potentially trading away Quinton Johnson (RE, 85 overall, Base 4-3, 22 yrs old) and Dwight Lowery (FS, 82 overall, Base 4-3, 29 yrs old).

"Defensive End is just an area that we have a lot of depth in, and unfortunately we don't have a starting spot for Quinton right now," said Coach Hart, "But we think he's a guy who could help a lot of teams out there for a long time to come, so we're definitely fielding offers. Then Dwight is a guy who we know if good enough to start; he proved that earlier this year when Jairus Byrd was out with an injury. However, there's no doubt that Jairus is our starting free safety, so if we can get something in return for Dwight we'd be open to that."

Hart also hinted at potentially wanting to move Asa Davison (LOLB, 85 overall, Base 3-4, 23 yrs old). "I'm always looking for guys who fit our schemes. Offensively we run a balanced offense, maybe a little power run, and defensively we stick to a base 4-3, so we're always looking for guys who have experience in those schemes. One of the things I did when getting here was look over the talent on the roster to decide if they meet our schemes. Most of them did, but there were definitely some that may be better fitted for a different scheme, a guy like Asa Davidson for example, who played his entire college career in a 3-4 system. And guys like that we may listen to offers for, if we think we can find a good replacement that would fit our style better."

Obviously everything is just speculation at this point, and the NFL doesn't open again for trades for another few weeks yet. However, Jacksonville is poised to be a team to watch this offseason as new management looks to build off this year's success and help them take another leap forward in 2015.

Just wanted to get some trade talks started. Message me if interested in any of the players or if you have any players I may be interested in based on the needs listed above. I may be interested in trading some draft picks as well.

• Like Like x 1
  17. klhart49

klhart49 Walk On

Jaguars fans held their breath when on Jacksonville's first drive of their 3rd preseason game Maurice Jones-Drew went down after a carry...and didn't get back up. Medical staff gathered around and it was clear something was seriously wrong. Today, the fans' fears were realized when it was announced that MJD would miss the entire 2015 season after suffering a stress fracture in his foot.

"It hurts," Maurice said in an interview, "and I'm not talking about the foot. It hurts to know that my teammates will take the field and I'll be on the sideline. It hurts that I won't be out there to help this team get back to the playoffs."

The Jacksonville sideline seemed deflated the rest of the game, despite Coach Hart trying to keep things positive. After the game though, the Jaguar head coach couldn't hide his disappointment either. "We just lost our best offensive player, the face of the franchise, one of our best leaders, so it's hard to be real positive about that. I have a lot of faith in Peyton Hillis and Troy Franklin who have both run very well this preseason, but you don't just replace a guy like Maurice. But we'll find a way to bounce back. We have other weapons on this team, and we'll just need to adapt our offense."

Asked about who would take over the starting role, Coach Hart said "I'm not sure. Likely we'll be much more of a 2-back system. Franklin is probably the fastest guy on our team, so he's our big home run threat. Peyton is a tough, veteran, power runner who's good at finding a hole and hitting it hard. Used correctly, these two can complement each other very well and jointly provide what Maurice is able to do. Maurice's injury is deflating, I'm not going to lie about that. But one man doesn't make a team, and I'm not worried for a second about our running game."

But before bidding farewell to the press, Coach Hart wanted to get a message out to his fans: "Don't sell off those season tickets just yet."

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013