Jags Cap

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jeremy, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Noticed that his #3 WR & #3 CB have only a 1 mod instead of the required 2. This puts him almost a million over the cap.

2. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Remember to check history. With modifiers locked during the season, he may have cut guys after locks. If no one else looks into it, I can when I get off work.

3. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

It looks like he cut his #3 WR and #3 CB (Dillard and Carey) just after the season started, just after modifiers locked. It's a loophole that he took advantage of. I'm surprised more people didn't do it honestly. You can start the season with one player being paid the top modifier, and once the season starts, just cut him, and then the backup will start, but still keep the backup modifier.

4. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

I hate the fact he looks for loopholes on purpose. He probably didn't even want to cut those guys, just done it to be a jerk. Ugh. Either way its not that huge of an issue. Sooner or later guys get paid one way or the other.

5. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

actually, there's something I'm not sure of. Those 2 players he cut (Dillard and Carey), their cap hits were for 40,000 and 50,000; should the hits have been 2 times that, if they initially were the #2 or #3 CB/WRs, the hit should have been bonus times mod 2, right? I can't tell what they were from the weird tables in his team front office thread, but something just seems off

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Yes. Any 2 modifier player gets double the bonus as a cap hit. Would have to check what he signed them for initially to get the original bonus. Then double it.

As far as loopholes go, this cap book has a few of them. The good ones will not only see them but take advantage and be able to say they are playing within the framework of the rules provided.

To be fair, I could have done the same thing with what I am planning to do. I have put a bid in for Reggie Wells (RG, 78 overall). I put in a 3 modifier even though I did NOT have to (I had a 78 overall already on the roster with a 3 modifier). I could have done Wells as a 1 modifier (since he could be #1 or #2 on the depth chart). I plan on cutting my #1 RG either way (Stacy Andrews, paid too much money for him honestly). So, I could have royally worked over this year's cap to my advantage and had no "starter" modifier RG. However, I did not. Doesn't mean I'm any better than Dunlap as far as seeing the loophole and using it. Just means I'm trying to have some small bit of integrity about using the loophole. I also know that next year those guys that are backup modifiers will move up. So Dunlap saves now to really pay later. How does that benefit him? Not much, in my opinion.

Meanwhile, I am setting myself up to be able to spend again next year WITHOUT having spent money just to get "players to cut" in the top 20.

THAT loophole really pissed me off this offseason. People signing high overall players just to have someone to cut in the offseason out of the top 20.

Does anyone have an answer to fix THAT? That is far worse a problem in my opinion than what Dunlap has done. People blatantly overbidding on a player just to have a above average cut in the following offseason so they can jettison the big stupid contract they made with no penalty.

Perhaps we should take away the non-penalty for mandatory cuts? I would hate to do that (as we are making people cut players instead of them voluntarily cutting players), but it may be the only option to keep spending within reason in the future.