Jam.'s Cy Young and MVP Watch 6/10

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jam., Jun 10, 2010.

1. Jam.

Jam. FIU; Sun Belt Champions!

Jam.'s Cy Young and MVP Watch 6/10

Welcome to week 2 of the weekly Cy Young and MVP Watch! It was a good week in the league, as we got a new member who took over the Oakland Athletics; KnightNoles.

There were competitive games all around the league and pace of games played really increased since last week. So far the league is going great and hopefully it continues like this.

I'll be keeping my rankings inter-league for now.

MVP Watch:
    The MVP award is handed out to the most valuable player on a team, a player that is an essential and integral part of that team's success. Most commonly, players up for the MVP award are usually on teams who have achieved some sort of success during the season, and rarely on struggling teams.

Rank Name Picture Position Team Team Record Comments
    1 Alex Rodriguez [​IMG] IF New York Yankees 6-4 Though his team's record hasn't improved much since last week's rankings, A-Rod's production hasn't faltered. He currently leads the league in home runs, RBIs, runs scored, slugging, and OPS. How could he not be the clear favorite for MVP so far? The rest of the Yankee lineup needs to step up if the Yankees want to improve their record.[Through 10 games]
    2 Cody Ross [​IMG] OF Florida Marlins 8-4 Cody Ross keeps his spot in the rankings, after another strong game against the Cincinatti Reds this week. Ross leads the league in hits (25), is 2nd in the league in home runs (5) and 2nd in the league in RBIs (17). Cody Ross anchors the middle of the order for the Florida Marlins, and is truly invaluable to the team. [Through 12 games]
    3 Edwin Encarnacion [​IMG] IF Toronto Blue Jays 7-3 Third baseman Edwin Encarnacion has started the season on fire, seemingly coming out of nowhere to post a .450 batting average and 5 home runs. Managers always love it when players they don’t suspect to do as well overachieve, and Encarnacion is overachieving more than anyone else in the league right now. The Blue Jays have given up reign of the American League, but if Encarnacion plays the way he has been, they could look to overtake the Texas Rangers soon enough. [Through 10 games]
    4 Josh Hamilton [​IMG] OF Texas Rangers 6-2 The surprising Texas Rangers sit atop the American League standings, in large part to the success of Josh Hamilton this season. The slugging outfielder has 13 RBIs in 8 games, and 4 home runs also. He has posted an outstanding 1.387 OPS also. Hamilton has put the Rangers on his back and carried them to the top of the American League so far this season. [Through 8 games]
    5 Matt Kemp [​IMG] OF Los Angeles Dodgers 9-3 Though Matt Kemp took a bit of a dive in this week’s standings, he is still playing at an extremely high level during this young season. Kemp is posting a .463 average with 5 home runs, and his Los Angeles Dodgers look poised to overtake the Braves if they falter. [Through 6 games]

Cy Young Watch:
    The Cy Young is awarded to the most dominating pitcher in each of the individual leagues, a pitcher who consistently gives his team a great chance to win a game every time he steps out on the mound.

Again, this will be inter-league rankings because many people haven't played enough games to see how their pitchers are doing.

DISCLAIMER: Must have AT LEAST started 2 games to be eligible for these rankings.

Rank Name Picture Position Team Team Record Comments
    1 Mike Pelfrey [​IMG] SP New York Mets 6-4 Mike Pelfrey hasn’t pitched in the past week, so he’ll stay at the top of the Cy Young rankings with an incredible 0.64 ERA. The Mets are 6-4 and perhaps should look to switching to a 4 man rotation to make sure that Pelfrey gets as many starts as possible if they want to climb from 4th in the National League. [Through 2 starts]
    2 Derek Lowe [​IMG] SP Atlanta Braves 8-1 The Atlanta Braves are the best team in baseball right now, thanks in large part to the outstanding pitching by Derek Lowe. Every time the Braves hand him the ball to start, he has gone the distance this season. In 18 innings he has given up 2 earned runs, but more impressive is his WHIP of 0.44. If Lowe continues to pitch lights out like he has been, it’s going to be really difficult for anyone in the National League to take the top rankings. [Through 2 starts]
    3 Ricky Romero [​IMG] SP Toronto Blue Jays 7-3 Ricky Romero has pitched the most starts of anyone on this Cy Young list, and yet he still has some of the best stats. Through 25.1 innings he has posted an amazing 1.07 ERA, and striking out more batters than have hit him. Romero is truly the one of the best players on the Blue Jays’ roster, and is playing like it this season. [Through 3 starts]
    4 Barry Zito [​IMG] SP New York Mets 6-4 Barry Zito is another Mets’ starter who hasn’t started a game in the past week, but even so it would be tough to take him off this list. The former Giant has a 1.20 ERA through 2 starts this season, and if he can get lefty’s out easier (.368 average vs. LHH) he could climb up these rankings rather quickly. [Through 2 starts]
    5 Johan Santana [​IMG] SP New York Mets 6-4 Workhorse Johan Santana makes the Cy Young list for the 2nd time in 2 weeks, with a 1.57 ERA. His ERA isn’t the only stat that’s impressive, Santana has not given up a hit to a left handed batter all year and has a whopping 25 strikeouts while only giving up 15 hits. [Through 3 starts]

2. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

And to think I was trying to trade Derek Lowe.

3. Jam.

No one ever said you were smart :p

4. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

I made Derek Lowe, not the other way around. Youngen.....

5. Jam.

Whatever you say, old man...

6. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

You're just mad because you know its true. Lol..

7. Jam.

All I know is that it looks like you started your losing streak yesterday

8. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Well it had to end sometime. The losing streak ends today, however...

9. EaglesIrish5

EaglesIrish5 Walk On

The pitching staff is the issue. Not the rest of the offense.

10. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Great work Jam as always. I am a witness to Lowe's filthiness. It's pretty damn frustrating!

11. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

12. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

I was gonna post somthing like that, but I wanted to end the slob fest. Glad you took the initiative, lol

13. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

LOL. Yea, I really appreciate the props you gave Lowe. Thanks bud...

14. Jam.

Just be glad Lowe hasn't played against me...I plan on giving you your 2nd loss, my friend.

15. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

I just like to see that its possible to dominate with a pitcher online. One of those deals where you think yeah I'm gonna crush this and tou top it off or get under it too much and soft grounders and routine fly balls are the result. It was a well pitched game.

16. EaglesIrish5

EaglesIrish5 Walk On

Does that mean the Braves are going to blow it in the playoffs like that guy does every year?

17. Jam.

Yes, yes it does.

18. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

nice, lol. Off topic, I've never had such mixed feelings about a bbal player. I love watching the dude play but I also get relief out of seeing him lose in the playoffs. I'm a Laker/Kobe fan. So that may explain it.

19. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

We'll see. It's nice to know you already have written me into the playoffs though. Sweet...

20. Jam.

Yeah, you should probably begin resting your starters now like the Colts.

21. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

thanks for the props. My bats have starting hitting finally but my big 3 Santana, Pelfrey, and Zito have definitley been the reason for my recent success. BTW Jam thanks for jinxing me with Santana, now I am sure he will give up a hit to the 1st lefty he faces lol but I will say that is pretty impressive for even me to see.

22. Jam.

Haha if I jinx him I'm sorry lol

23. toxiciti

toxiciti Walk On

Thanks for the hard work putting the list together. It makes for an enjoyable league.

24. Jam.

No problem. Good job mashing the ball with Edwin Encarnacion.

25. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

You shouldn't disrespect Troy Glaus every again. :cool: