Jam.'s Cy Young and MVP Watch 6/4

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jam., Jun 4, 2010.

1. Jam.

Jam. FIU; Sun Belt Champions!

Jam.'s Cy Young and MVP Watch 6/4

Alright guys so I'm trying to stir up some interest and discussion on the board, so I'll be doing a Cy Young and MVP Watch every Friday.

These are purely my rankings and the voting is taken care of by the CPU at the end of the season, so I might be way off, but I don't care :p

MVP Watch:
    The MVP award is handed out to the most valuable player on a team, a player that is an essential and integral part of that team's success. Most commonly, players up for the MVP award are usually on teams who have achieved some sort of success during the season, and rarely on struggling teams.

I won't be doing an NL/AL split of the MVP race because, frankly, we don't have enough teams that are doing well enough to merit an MVP player discussion. So I'll be doing a top 5 MVP race, inter-league.

Rank Name Picture Position Team Team Record Comments
    1 Alex Rodriguez [​IMG] IF New York Yankees 4-2 Either you love him or you hate him, but either way, this season you have to respect what he's doing at the plate. Right now he's the clear leader for the MVP race, with a whopping 5 home runs and 16 RBIs, while also maintaining a .435 average. Oh, did we mention this is only through 6 games? A-Rod has started the season on a tear, and if EaglesIrish wants to secure the top spot in a competitive American League, he's going to need him strong the whole season. [Through 6 games]
    2 Cody Ross [​IMG] OF Florida Marlins 7-4 Call this a homer pick if you want, but the numbers for Cody Ross don't lie. Through 11 games the stud outfielder is posting a ridiculous .458 batting average with a league leading 5 home runs and 17 RBIs. He's put the league on notice, if you haven't been fearing him coming into the season, fear him now. He feasts on hanging breaking balls and loves a fastball with a 3-0 count. He needs his 1-2-3 hitters in front of him to reach base more so he can drive some more runs in for his ballclub. [Through 11 games]
    3 Matt Kemp [​IMG] OF Los Angeles Dodgers 8-3 This 5-tool outfielder has been turning heads around the league. We all know that Frisk's squad is a talented bunch, but it seems like they have a superstar slugger that is taking the place of Manny Ramirez. Kemp is showing an insane display of power (4 home runs), contact (.474 average), and speed (3 triples, 2 stolen bases). If Kemp can turn some of those strikeouts into walks, he could be an offensive force to be feared around the league. [Through 11 games]
    4 Josh Hamilton [​IMG] OF Texas Rangers 6-2 After an injury-riddled 2009 campaign, Josh Hamilton has started off the 2010 campaign absolutely mashing the ball. In this young season he has accumulated 4 home runs and a .452 average, but more than that he has come through time and time again in clutch situations for manager BAKEdaSNAKE and the Texas Rangers. If Vlad and Jorge Cantu can get on track, Josh Hamilton could lead the Texas Rangers to a top seed in the American League. [Through 8 games]
    5 Brian McCann [​IMG] C Atlanta Braves 6-0 It's hard to make a MVP list and leave out a member of the only team that has started off this season with a 6-0 record. Manager Scikotics has quietly taken a firm hold atop the National League, and is turning heads with his undefeated record. Brian McCann is the main cog of his offense, with a .440 batting average while leading the league in doubles. [Through 6 games]

Cy Young Watch:
    The Cy Young is awarded to the most dominating pitcher in each of the individual leagues, a pitcher who consistently gives his team a great chance to win a game every time he steps out on the mound.

Again, this will be inter-league rankings because many people haven't played enough games to see how their pitches are doing.

DISCLAIMER: Must have AT LEAST started 2 games to be eligible for these rankings...Sorry Edinson Volquez and Justin Verlander.

Rank Name Picture Position Team Team Record Comments
    1 Mike Pelfrey [​IMG] SP New York Mets 4-3 Though he may have a dorky picture, Mike Pelfrey has not been dorky on the mound for the New York Mets this season. By baffling good hitting teams (including my own Florida Marlins) Mike Pelfrey has posted a startling 0.64 ERA in 2 starts this season. He has won both of his starts, and gone the distance in one of them. With the Mets' new acquisition Pedro Martinez, they may have the best rotation in baseball (though the Braves may have something to say about that), and if their hitting catches up, watch out for the Mets. [Through 2 starts]
    2 Ricky Romero [​IMG] SP Toronto Blue Jays 5-1 The Toronto Blue Jays are out to a 5-1 record, mainly because of the great pitching of their starting rotation. Ricky Romero leads the rotation, and with good reason. The Toronto ace has pitched 16.1 innings and only given up 2 earned runs (1.10 ERA). Romero has more strikeouts than hits given up, walks, and home runs combined. Many have taken notice of Toxiciti's Blue Jays atop the American League, and Romero will have to continue to pitch like an ace to keep them on top. [Through 2 starts]
    3 Barry Zito [​IMG] SP New York Mets 4-3 Yet another Met on the Cy Young watch, Barry Zito is everything the Mets wished for when they aqcuired him from the San Francisco Giants in that blockbuster trade in the offseason. Zito has 17 strikeouts in 16 innings, and has only given up 2 earned runs. Manager Pepperklink should be congratulated on a great trade that might have put his team over the hump in the race for a playoff spot. [Through 2 starts]
    4 Johan Santana [​IMG] SP New York Mets 4-3 Is it really possible to have 3 Mets on the top 5 of the Cy Young watch list? Apparently it is. I have no love for the Mets (trust me, I'm a Marlins fan) but I have to give respect where it's due. Johan Santana seems to be the work horse of the rotation, going 16 innings in only 2 starts this season. He has a stellar WHIP of 0.75 and averages a strikeout every inning. Johan Santana is one of the best pitchers in the game and he is just proving it yet again this season. [Through 2 starts]
    5 Ricky Nolasco [​IMG] SP Florida Marlins 7-4 Though this can be viewed as another homer pick...it actually kind of is. The water gets kind of muddy at this point in the rankings, so I decided to go with the league leader in strikeouts, with 24. Ricky Nolasco has been a great asset to the Marlins, as they have won all three games he has pitched, while getting no help from his defense (4 unearned runs). He has a WHIP of 1.00 and is an anchor in the Florida Marlins rotation. [Through 3 starts]

Well there they are, my Cy Young and MVP rankings as of June 4th. I hope everyone enjoys it, and gives me their opinions.

Feel like I missed someone? Think someone should be higher? Think I'm an idiot? Vent it here, I love discussion.

2. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

damn good work Jam, I agree with you 100%. Cody Ross tearing it up, but whats up with his picture?!

3. Jam.

Every time he smiles, he looks constipated...some guys just aren't photogenic I guess :p

4. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Doesnt matter as long as you hit bombs! I bet he still pulls all chics

5. Jam.

I thought chicks digged the infield hits? As Ichiro once said...

6. toxiciti

toxiciti Walk On

I think this and the power rankings thread should be combined in a a sticky thread. just my 2 cents. Great Work!

7. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Cody Ross is a homer pick, LMAO.

8. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Oh yea, you're also an idiot. Cheers!

9. Jam.

^whatever Scik, I wonder if you take pride in the fact that McCann was the worst of the MVP candidates on that list by far :p

10. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

It's not about one player, its a team effort. Hence the reason I am 6-0. :cool:

11. shuffman25

shuffman25 Walk On

i like it

12. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

Agreed, this is good shit. nice read.

13. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Touché...

Well, the Cy Young race will Verlander's, rendering all lists now and in the future worthless.

Thank you.

14. Jam.

Ehhh. Verlander just caught me on a bad day.

15. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

very nice indeed Jam. You can add another Win for Santana :)

16. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Lets get Jam's opinion on the Cy Young and MVP updated, huh?

Mags should be up there for MVP. Lacking the HR numbers, but that batting average and RBI total is something to look at!

17. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Derek Lowe took a plunge last start. I don't think my 12-2 Braves have a single player that should be on this list. The closest should be Troy Glaus (7 HRs, 10 RBI, .450 AVG) but I still dont think that is worthy....