JaMarcus Russell - Stick the fork in?

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Hellisan, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

JaMarcus Russell - Stick the fork in?

So watching the end of this game. I havent' watched the whole thing, so i don't know if Russell just got pulled, is hurt, or maybe didn't even play today?

Gradkowski throws the TD pass to win it and Russell happily comes out and starts snapping the towel at him. Then a few seconds later Gradkowski is on the bench going over end zone photos and Russell... is sitting there listening to his headphones?

This guy just isn't wired right.?

2. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

Wow. Some1 on ESPN said(I think Herm Edwards)"Jamarcus like the lifestyle football provides for him, but doesn't really have the passion for it." I heard that & thought they hit it right on the head.

3. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Getting benched for Bruce Gradkowski qualifies as a low point in your career.

4. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

I have heard this guy is not to smart. Yeah, the dumb athlete thing. But I think he is really is. He seem's like he is not all there

As for benching. I am waiting for Cutler to get benched in Chicagi for McNown(I think thats how you spell his name?) Culter is bad!! I have been watching my Eagles beat themselves all night tonight. Cutler has overthrown 4 guys that were wide open tonight

5. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

You're not talking about Cade McNown are you?....I think he's selling cars in Anchorage or something right about now. Their back up is a kid from Colorado State.

6. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Caleb Hanie, he'll probably be working for Cade McNown someday.

7. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

I don't know if you can ever say a guy is done. Not after Vince Young has seemingly resurrected himself and guys like Byron "I Like to Three Hop My Receivers" Leftwich still has a job in the NFL.

He did show some flashes against Philly. And for guys like him and Brady Quinn, you have to wonder how much of their ineptitude comes from being a young QB on a team that lacked talent.

Especially in Oakland. That place seems to be a black hole of football that sucks the will to play out of even the most competitive players. Look at Randy Moss. If you had told me a few years ago he'd be playing like a Hall of Fame receiver again I wouldn't have believed you.

8. Rudy

Rudy Pumped for NCAA 11

It's true that some guys take longer to develop. However, I can't stand it that high first round picks get a TON of time to prove they are crap while lower round picks or small college QBs get virtually no opportunities to prove themselves. A 5th round pick can get one start, have a bad game and is labelled a bum. A first overall pick needs 50 starts before people finally call him a bum. I really think the NFL is clueless when it comes to developing QBs and spotting a good QB.

Look at David Carr. The guy starts for 5 years and people still thought he could play and made every excuse for him. Often times it's because NFL guys over-rate arm strength and under-rate decision making.

Now look at Kurt Warner. The guy is probably a Hall of Famer but he came out of Northern Illinois (I think) and was cut in training camp by the Packers. In fairness, the Packers had Favre, Detmer and Brunell on their roster but he got cut. He ends up on the Rams who after having him on the roster see no potential. They sign Trent Green to be their starting QB. They leave Warner exposed on the expansion draft (or was it Plan B - can't remember but anther team could have taken him). They show zero faith in him. Trent Green hurts his knee and the world says the Rams are done. In steps Warner who becomes an NFL MVP and Superbowl Champ. I really wonder if Warner would have ever been anything if Green didn't get hurt. How did the Rams coaches not see him as being a good player?

I wonder how many good QBs never got a chance in the NFL because the coaches gave that first round pick years to prove he sucked rather than try someone else.

9. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I think it says less of the system and more of a guy who takes advantage of the situation and seizes the moment.

The scouts look at everything they can, but it is always a crapshoot to whether a player's game can translate to a different place, let alone, a different league. Look at Leinart who was considered one of the best decision makers in a pro-offense in college. Now he can't see to tie his shoes right.

QBs are one of the hardest positions to scout. It's a very mental position that demands a lot of things you just can measure. You can interview and scout all you want, some guys just have what it takes and some don't.

10. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

It doesn't help your scouts are working for the Raiders. It seems like they make bad decisions just to get attention. Russel... an then Heyward-Bay a top 10 pick? I was watching the draft when they took Heyward-Bay...... ESPN commentators were speechless. They had him going late 2nd and early 3rd Round in all the mock drafts.

11. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Howard-Bey was a low first rounder on all the mock drafts I follow. Don't listen to Kiper, that guy doesn't know shit unless you are talking about hair spray.

It's not the scouts fault who they draft. They have input but its the GM and the coaches who make the call. Howard-Bey, McFadden and Russell were all publically admitted to being Al Davis's selections.

12. Rudy

Rudy Pumped for NCAA 11

Al Davis doesn't watch any film to look at players. He just holds a stop watch and says run. Michael Crabtree wasn't super fast and couldn't run before the combine so he passed. Heyward-Bey was super fast - draft him! Same can be said for Darren McFadden although who knew he would have done almost nothing. And Russell had a cannon for an arm. Davis just falls in love with physical attributes which seems very hypocritical of his "Just Win Baby!" mantra.

13. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

A lot of this boils down to just bad strategies overall.

I remember watching a story about David Carr right after he got drafted and signed with the Texans - talking about how they couldn't wait to get him to a mini-camp so they could start working on changing his throwing mechanics.

If I remember it was a similar thing with Vince Young. "We love him - he's a great player - now immediately get to work on overhauling the most important of his mechanics at a time when his head is going to be swimming anyway from all the pressure and nuiances of the pro game."

On top of that a lot of pro coaches and GMs are kind of like Hugh Heffner. Sure he's got those three young blondes walking around with him today, but he's always looking for the next three as well.

They just never seem to be happy, even when they have a winner. Two prime examples ... Chad Pennington and Jeff Garcia. Sure both guys weren't physical specimens and yeah they didn't look like franchise quarterbacks you could put on the front of your media guide, but they fucking won football games.

and yet any team they've ever played for was always looking over their shoulder for whoever was next.

another problem in all of this is job security. Most GMs and Coaches aren't going to last more than a few years with their current club. So its tough to tell an Eric Mangini to be patient with Brady Quinn when he's wondering "yeah but am I going to have a job at the end of the rainbow?"