Jay Cutler

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by hoodlum10, Nov 26, 2009.

1. hoodlum10

hoodlum10 Walk On

Jay Cutler

I am a die-hard Bears fan and I was very excited when he came here. I really thought they would contend this year in the NFC. Damn I was wrong. What a bust this guy has been. I knew he had his attitude problems in Denver and I'm just waiting for him to blow up at the media here in Chicago. The guy just seems mental at times, no composure. Sort of a more talented, pissed off version of Rex Grossman. I never thought I'd say it but I honestly wish we never made the trade for him in the first place. This team has so many holes that need to be fixed and now we don't have any high picks. Although knowing Jerry Angelo we prolly woulda just pissed those picks away anyways. What do you guys think about the whole Cutler-Orton saga and how it's played out so far?

2. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

In my humble opinion the Bears don't know what they want to be on offense. They haven't really tried to do much in the past few years with the passing game, not really going after big time WR's in the draft or free agency and now they bring in a gun slinger and he really doesn't have very good targets to throw to. Their #1 WR is a converted DB and then a bunch of guys that don't scare anyone. I think addressing the O-line should be concern #1 because if Forte was able to run the ball effectively it would open up the passing game but since Forte is getting shut down Cutler is forced to throw way too much to that below average receiving corp. Don't get me wrong, I think Cutler has his issues, but with that poor offensive line and non existent running attack, I think they would be even worse with Orton. Draft O-line and defense and try to get a big WR in free agency.

3. Rudy

Rudy Pumped for NCAA 11

I thought that trade was great for the Bears initially. It looks bad now but it can still be a good trade IF Cutler rebounds and plays like an upper echelon QB. Cutler's technique has been horrible. He's throwing off his back foot and playing very uncomfortable. He's also making a bunch of really stupid throws. He needs to be reigned in and coached better.

Furthermore, if you go get Cutler then you better go get some WRs. Why trade a bunch to get a great QB and then have him throw to a bunch of mediocre receivers? That doesn't make sense. Cutler is their identity and the current system isn't working. But I do think it can be turned around. One way is to fire Lovie and hire Shanahan as coach. Shanahan's biggest problems were Shanahan the GM and how he failed to field a good defense. Bring him into to Chicago, get a good WR and I really think Cutler will rebound.

And Orton is still a mediocre QB that has played well in Denver. I don't think he's the long term answer anywhere but I could be wrong.

4. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Ever since the Pro Bowl last year, I was down on Cutler. Looks like he doesnt think when he throws. He is more of a deep threat then anything and I have not seen to many deep routes run by the bears

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I think he's a talent (even though i hate his ass)..... I thought it was so funny that people acted like - when comparing this guy with Rivers and the spat they had, that Rivers was the guy that had the problem. I know Cutler might not even have been the guy that started that whole thing but trust me, Rivers is the better personality you want on your team, the guy that inspires/leads/commands the trust of teammates, etc.

Now I think Cutler can still be useful to the team. They need to draft some weapons around him and they need to figure out if Forte is a bust or whatever. He isn't Brett Favre who turns average receivers into superstars, he needs at least one great one around him.

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Brandon Marshall was Cutlers savior. Cutler zones in one receiver and struggles when he is not open and will still try to sling it in there. Why was Earl Bennett going nuts in the beginning of the season?? Anyway I am sure I am not the only one who notices this and am I sure they are working on it.

Once he learns to reads defenses better and can spread the ball around he will be ok.....his has a good arm but not a magic arm. He thinks he can make every throw.

7. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

In another thread we talked about drastic NFL decisions and how guys go from "qb of the future" to the scrap heap waaaay to quickly.

Well I think Cutler is the other side of the coin. He showed flashes in the past, had a good season last year and all of a sudden in a lot of people's minds he's pushed into the same class as Brees, Brady, Manning, etc. - basically pinning all of his past issues on being a diabetic and not knowing it instead of a veteran QB who still makes rookie decisions.