Joakim Soria: Cy Young?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by _MG_, May 20, 2011.

1. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

Is Joakim Soria the Cy Young leader?

Coming into this season, the Kansas City Royals had many questions. How will Alex Gordon do transitioning for 3B to LF? Will the young players like Alcides Escobar and Eric Hosmer flourish or flounder? How will the questionable rotation do against some of the powerful offenses in the American League? One issue they never had was who was going to close games in the 9th. Joakim Soria was already coming off a solid year last year, posting a sub-2.00 ERA and 40+ saves. This year, however, he has gone from one of the best closers in the division to arguably the premier closer in the American League. Rookie closer Chris Sale might be getting all the hype for how he has done, but Soria has been the one who has pitched more innings in tighter spots. He has come in and pitched 2 inning saves twice this year, and has regularly been used in the 8th or extra innings to get the Royals out of a tight jam. "He has been our rock out of the pen. All the young guys really look up to him, and the crazy part is he is only 26! It might sound cliche, but the sky really is the limit for this guy" said Royals skipper Ned Yost. Soria has compiled 14 1/3 scoreless innings, tallying up 2 wins and 6 saves in the process. "He might not be the posterboy Cy Young candidate, but he has been the most valuable pitcher on our squad" said Royals starter Vin Mazzaro, adding "I mean, 0 earned runs? Zero blown saves? He has 20 strikeouts in 14 1/3 innings? The guy is just on another planet right now, he is looking like Mariano Rivera out there."​

Though it is likely that Soria will not win the Cy Young with all the deserving starting pitchers in line for the prestigious award this season, it is nice to see the Royals finally winning games again and a fresh face in the mix for the "Most Dominant Closer in Baseball" discussion. Look out for Joakim Soria, as he seems to be the real deal.​

2. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Hope a user takes a major award this year.

3. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Yeah I agree, I hope to see you in the NLCS GTG

4. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Im just trying to make the playoffs first man lol - I got enough games left to screw everything up.