Job Descriptions in Detail

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Job Descriptions in Detail

Forgive me for the intrusion here into a commissioner's territory, but I wanted to take a moment to post each board member that volunteered for jobs and, what I determine, to be the basic expectations of that job. That way we have a clear listing of what should be done by all board members.

Here goes:

Cap Book Integrity
    Board member responsible: Winuvas

The cap book is what keeps the league on an even field. This job requires the board member to keep up with the free agents available, as well as all teams' transactions, to make sure that all teams' caps are in tact. If necessary, the board member responsible should attempt to handle any cap issues on his own, only deferring to the commissioner in issues where an owner is blatantly ignoring his requests. In a lesser role, this board member assists in making sure that free agents are listed as won in the free agent thread, assisting the board member responsible for that aspect of the board.

Free Agents Thread
    Board member responsible: Jeremy

The free agent thread needs to be monitored to make sure teams do not undersign players. The board member here declares when free agents have been "won" after a 24 hour bid period, as well as make sure that points are correct when first posted by owners.

Game Summaries
    Board member responsible: Claven

Winning teams for the week are required to post a small (two to three sentence minimum) summary of the game played. This is minimum expectations for ownership participating in the league to keep activity on the forums up. Only winning teams for the week are required to post a summary; each week the board member responsible for this should post who has completed their summary for the week, and who has yet to, based on EA's website.

Game Scheduling
    Board member responsible: Cadepetty247

Possibly the most important job of us all. This job requires a bit of a "prickish" attitude to keep our 5 day schedule rolling smoothly. At the start of each week, the board member should post a thread with lists of all games, with updates to show who has bothered to try to schedule a game and who hasn't. Also, this board member should be aggressive when getting into the threads, forcing the ball a bit as far as activity goes. After the appointed 3 days are up, this board member needs to post a final tally as to whom has bothered to try and schedule games and who hasn't. The commissioner then takes over, doing CPU actions and handing warnings where appropriate.

This of all jobs is the toughest, I think. You have to be a bit of a jerk to get people to be active.

Recruiting Future Players
    Board member responsible: Mustang

This board member is responsible for scouring message boards dropping the goodness of the OMFL on all those who will listen. A prophet carrying the gospel of the OMFL, if you'll forgive the usage. To keep the league strong, this job requires a lot of activity on any message boards that do online sports gaming to keep our waiting list full in case of boots/quits and things of that nature.

Trade Overwatch
    Board member responsible: Nate

This job requires vigilance more earlier in the season. This job is to make sure teams are not blatantly ripped apart by owners with bad trades. Any trade that is seen as unfair for either side is posted in the board room for review by all members by this board member. Any trade, even one done by the board member himself, is possible for discussion. This is to ensure balance in the league.

I hope I haven't overstepped my bounds by typing something like this. I want everyone involved with this to be sure of what their tasks in this are to be. If I missed anything, OR if I did overstep, Nate, edit or close this thread or let me know what I need to edit.

2. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

Great Thread Winuvas. It's good to keep a tally of what jobs we have, so if new ones come up we can see if it can fit into one of the other listed jobs or if we have to create a new job and add a new board member to fill that job. Also If a board member quits at some point in the history of the OMFL a new board member can be appointed and told to go to this thread to see what his new job details.

3. cadepetty247

cadepetty247 Walk On

Great winuvas! Gives me a better understanding of my job!! ApparentlàI've been half assin lol!!

4. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

This time of year my job becomes almost obsolete. Where do you guys think I could help out during my down time. Maybe I can pick if any of you go out if town for a few. Just shoot me PM and I will pick up where youll left off.

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

That's sort of where I am too, Jeremy. Up till the trade deadline, I'll stay pretty busy, but after that I am on shutdown mode for the most part. That is why I've been pushing for cap book checks/adding new tabs/adding new elements to cap book. I enjoy it, but after a while I get bored.

If you guys that have jobs that are still vital this time of year, please communicate with us slow time guys (Jeremy and myself) so we can help keep it flowing if you guys are busy/overwhelmed/just need a break for a few days. We gotta talk to each other though; only way we can keep the league working well is with communication.

I definitely don't mind helping in any facet except the recruiting aspect. Being a "newbie" to this Madden online thing, I don't have connections like what most of the people in the league seem to have. As far as scheduling, game updates, or FA threads (which I've helped with before), I don't mind keeping an eye on those things as well if I'm needed to. I just don't know if I'm needed to unless I'm asked/told to.

SOAPBOX: Keep in mind, though, that the descriptions of these jobs we are asked to do were written by me as I see them. I personally think that the game scheduling thread is the hardest job to do because you have to constantly be a "jerk" on scheduling posts. You have to push the people to schedule things and keep on them, asking "What's going on? Why aren't we scheduled? What's the status?" and you will probably be seen as a dick. Unfortunately, to keep the league rolling smoothly on a five day schedule, I feel like you have to do that, as well as monitor HOW people post those schedules. One "pet peeve" of mine is when people post "when can u play bro?" as the start of a schedule thread. That drives me NUTS. We cut down on those kind of posts, and then after the last day to set up games start just booting people to CPU who haven't bothered to check forums and getting active owners in here, we'll be fine.

If I could give advice to you, Cade, I would say every week in the scheduling thread post the week's schedule, then every chance you can update it with who has posted, and if they have posted a time or not. After three days, Nate can look at that list, then can assign people accordingly to CPU who needs it, and hand out warnings/boots as well if necessary. That is how I would do it. But if you think of an easier way, then go for it. Let me know if I can be of help.

6. cadepetty247

cadepetty247 Walk On

wil do winuvas...thanks for the advice my brother

7. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

No problem Cade. Just trying to get us all on the same page right now since the offseason is coming around.

8. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

sorry, i've just been busy last few days. this looks great. ill copy and edit my thread to put this in there. if you guys think of any other jobs we need, just say something.

9. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

i think mustang may need help. i haven't seen him in here, or really the forums in a while.

10. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I agree. Anyone willing to step up? I have already said that this particular facet of the board work would not be in my wheelhouse.

11. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

I don't think I'd be very good at recruiting and don't even know where to start.