Jon Gruden's Draft Class of 2013 Offensive Rookie Watch

Discussion in 'The Longest Yard' started by Anthrax78, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

[​IMG]
    Grudens's Early Offensive Rookie Ratings From 2013 Draft Class

Unlike last year's wealth of talented quarterbacks that came out, this year has been spread with rookies who have been making immediate contributions. Only two quarterbacks that were drafted are starting and both are in the NFC East, Daniel Romeo and Frankie Henderson. So far, Henderson has the better numbers but I feel Romeo has the intangibles to be great but it will take time and experience and coach Ryne Setzer should see better things in the future from him that Romo ever did for his franchise.

Here are my ratings on the best rookies so far on the offensive side or the ball

Offense:

1. Brandon Boss: TE Giants 35 rec, 707 yards and 6 touchdowns

What can you say about a rookie TE with these numbers? He also has zero drops to add to his eye popping stats already. Not sure if he is benefiting from the Giants talented wide outs but regardless of their receiving talent, he's a force to be reckoned with. Everyone knows that coach Shane Varno loves receiving TE's so don't expect anything to change unless someone can cover him.
    [​IMG]
    2. Frankie Henderson: QB Eagles 1515 passing yards 13 TD 11 INT's
    This guy has done an amazing job behind center in his first year with the Eagles. Sure, they have a lot of talent around him but he also completes 67% of his passes which is sixth in the NFL. Maybe the guy to take the Eagles to the next level finally and coach Jesse Rockwell has to be elated about his decision making for such a young talent. Makes for an interesting story with Cowboys QB Daniel Romeo, who everyone will always compare the two.
    [​IMG]
    3. Algrenon Nelson: HB KR PR Colts 574 Rushing Yards 4 TD, 2 TD Kick Returns (league leading)
    Blazing speedster from Ind has shocked the NFL with his production so far with the Colts. The Colts have made no bad moves since drafting Andrew Luck and this continues the trend. Made Colts fans all but forget about Lamar Miller and coach Brandon Sams feeling like this can bring a Super Bowl back to a Colts team that just missed the window to the Vikings last season.
    [​IMG]
    4. Walker Stream: WR Lions 34 Rec 551 yrds 2 TD
    The Lions were excited to grab this speedy WR with the 7th pick and to everyone's surprise, he actually has better numbers than Megatron so far. Calvin Johnson might have a hand in his numbers due to team focusing all their coverage on him but his quickness and hands cannot be denied and coach Martin Westcott compared him to a young Steve Smith and he may not be that far off!
    [​IMG]
    5. Jeremiah Banks: HB Titans 460 yrds rushing 12 rec
    This obvious choice for the "best RB in the draft" has been impressive with blazing speed and agility. Has yet to find the end zone this season but that will come soon enough to the dismay of everyone else in the league. May have health issues down the road but most running backs these days do. If coach Jason Brown can get him into the flats in passing routes and between the tackles more look out!
    [​IMG]
    6. Brandon Yarborough: WR Bills 25 rec 450 yrds 4TD
    This guy has already balanced the Bills passing attack with Stevie Johnson with remarkable positioning, catching the ball and a decent threat in the end zone. Will be a probowl type of guy for years to come if the Bills can keep the right quarterback in their system. Kurt Warner has a way of making receivers better than they really are but this time is not the case. May need the "right" coach to take him to the next level considering this is really no more than Warner farewell tour this year.
    [​IMG]
    Honorable Mentions:
    Daniel Romeo - Numbers aren't great but if you're winning...
    Ryland Hartley - Great RG pick by Jets, now just needing the other pieces
    Terrell Burchette - "Speedy" TE with 26 grabs and 136 YAC

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Brandon S.

Brandon S. Freshmen Phenoms Commissioner

No Algrenon Nelson from Colts? He has been a monster in returns and rushing

3. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

What are you talking about?;) Sorry, I knew about his numbers but missed it since I'm doing this undercover at work!

4. brizz98

brizz98 Walk On

Nice work buddy. Everything you put about Banks is right. I enjoyed reading this.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Good stuff Anthrax78. 3 Starters for Minnesota from last year's draft, but none have made a major impact.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Really good stuff Anthrax78

I think with the season the New York Jets are having, we might have a chance at a premium draft pick this coming year.

• Like Like x 2
  7. DU55

DU55 Walk On

Nice post!

8. TheRealHalupka

TheRealHalupka Walk On

9. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

I think the major impact is that you are undefeated! Coaches that have "one guy" that stand out in stats are easy to prepare for. (I initially thought this about Peterson earlier this year and you still trounced me for well over a 100 yards on the ground) If I were you I would approach everything the way the guy in the hooded sweatshirt in New England does and talk like all my players stink and secretly laugh all the way to another title.

10. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Well, if you consider that Peterson has now lead for both seasons, its a tough argument. I mean, we all know he is getting the ball when you face him, so preparedness only goes so far, right?

11. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

Certainly, I don't buy into the pass-happy NFL the media loves anyways. If you can run the ball consistently you can beat anyone. You can stop a QB/WR combo way easier that a smart coach that runs sorted run packages since its the RB/5 Offensive lineman and sometimes a fullback. Depending on what defense you are running you really have upwards to 6 different guesses to load the box to stop a dive, toss, offtackle, counter or misdirection. Having a great oline comes with that too. I actually love the guys who habitually like to bolt to the sidelines every handoff for the homerun running play because then you know.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

Look for San Francisco 49ers rookie WR Jameel Sommerfield to make a push for top rookie honors in the second half of the season. He has supplanted veteran WR Mario Manningham as the #2 receiver and just had a breakout performance against the tough Seahawks defense, tallying 9 receptions for 163 yards and 2 TDs.

For the season: 30 rec, 486 yards, 4 TD, 16.2 YPC, 6.5 YAC, 3 drops