Josh McDaniels: Genius or Idiot?

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by JerzeyReign, Apr 19, 2010.

?

What is Josh McDaniels?

Poll closed Jan 13, 2013.
  1. Genius

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Idiot

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Josh McDaniels: Genius or Idiot?

What's up with this guy? Since being named the head coach of the Broncos he's gotten rid of three players from a very good draft by the Broncos in 2006. First it was Jay Cutler. The jury is still out on him but he's a step up from anyone the Broncos put under center next year. Then it was Brandon Marshall. A diva but the guy produced. Even with all the suspensions he still led the Broncos in recieving. Now they just traded Tony Scheffler. Scheffler is on the rise in my book (was on my fantasy team so I kept tabs on him).

Does this guy have a problem with Shannahan's picks or something. It's kind of like he's saying I don't need Mike's players to win or something. Or new alpha lion taking over a pride and killing the last alpha male's offspring.

From an outsider looking in, this is terrible for Denver. Then to add they have B.Dawk (love 'em forever no homo) who's the anchor of his defense. Is this guy serious?

I'd like to hear Bronco fans reactions or feelings about this dude. Maybe he's a mad scientist or just insane, I'm not sure.

2. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Too early to tell. I think he'll be alright. I think he's using the motto I apply. If you create low expectations, then it's easy to surpass them. He's getting rid of everyone so nobody will think it's a great team, then when he delivers he'll be a genius, so he hopes.

3. King_CEPS_11

King_CEPS_11 Walk On

I think it all goes back to that New England Patriots philosophy of getting everybody on the team to believe in the team first and playing the game unselfishly and being a team player and all that. Cutler and Marshall definitely didn't believe in that philosophy and that's why they are gone. I don't think Scheffler was like that, but I guess they felt what they were getting in return for him was better, or they know something about him that we don't know.

But it all comes back to that notion that no one player is better/more important than the team.

Whether or not he is a genius or idiot is too early to say, he has only been there one year, but he has definitely changed the culture and the mentality there.

4. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

I am all about team over individual but when you are a 30 something guy with no head coaching experience, coming in to a winning organization to follow a very successful head coach, you gotta kind of ease yourself into the situation. I think he has the ego and intelligence of Belichek and Weis but doesn't have the common sense of Bill anyway. No way Bill B. would have come in as a young coach and ran all the talent out of town.
    Josh McDaniels may be a long term success after he learns a few things but I think he will be out in Denver in a few years because they simply won't have enough talent to win unless they get ungodly lucky in the draft this year.

5. Rudy

Rudy Pumped for NCAA 11

I think he's an immature and ego-centric genious. I've heard some of the players, both on the team and off now, talk about how smart the guy is. I think he may be a gifted offensive mind. But I also agree with the guys above that you can't come in as an inexperienced kid and start running guys out of a town. You have to ease your way in. He pissed too many people off.

I do think the Brandon Marshall trade was more about money than his attitude. Denver just didn't want to pay him. I thought the Jay Cutler deal was great for Chicago but right now it looks good for Denver. I think two of the biggest mistakes Denver made were trading this year's number 1 to move up in round 2 last year for Alphonso Smith. I think the biggest mistake was drafting Robert Ayers last year to be an OLB. The guy never had more than 4 sacks in a college year so why would anyone think he could be a pass rusher at any position in the NFL?

Denver still needs a QB.

6. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I think he's being an idiot at the moment. He's setting his team back giving SD a chance to reload (even though they haven't dropped too far). He's really tearing up that offense for IMO no reason. Maybe one day he'll realize he's not in NE and will be surrounded by a young team soon. Last time I check owners don't give coaches 3-5 years of getting your tails whooped and let him keep their job. I don't know maybe he knows something no one else does...

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Most likely somewhere in between. Sorta like the 95% majority...

I do know he needs to be above the players, both on his team and others, he brings himself down to their level. But he's so small and silly looking I think he just doesn't command any respect and that's probably not going to change.

So I don't think he's an idiot but he'll never be a leader of NFL men.

8. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

McDaniels is a stupid prick...

Nuff said.

9. uncleho

uncleho Walk On

As a die hard Denver fan I had to pick idiot. That will all depend on last years draft and this years draft. He will only get a year or two to let these gus develop into talents that are capable of replacing the talent he let go (even if they were all divas). Hopefully he learned this year how to manage being on top of the world then failing hard, so it doesn't happen again this year.

10. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Don't forget he didn't get rid of Cutler. He and those above him in the organization were hoping to make things OK and keep Cutler (after all the whole thing started because they 'looked' at dealing for Cassel).

That was until Cutler showed up the team's owner and refused to have dinner with him - and he was traded shortly there after, not because Denver didn't want him but because it was felt he was disrespectful to the owner.

11. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

@Bly- Yeah but when your 'new' coach openly wants a different quarterback you pretty much were 'disrespected' at first. I would of been pissed to and probably wanted to be out of town.

12. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Granted I didn't follow the thing too closely, but I still think he was being a bit of a prima donna. GMs and Coaches have discussions about trades all the time - it isn't like they were out there openly shopping him to GMs and telling the media he's a piece of shit they don't think they can win with.

There was a free agent, the team looked at the possibility of making a move for him and didn't. To me that's just part of being a professional athlete.

13. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Yeah he was diva, not to dwell on it too much but Matt Cassel wasn't a FA he was still on the Pats and McDaniels openly said he was interested in trading for him.

But this thread may be officially over. Tebow at 25? You gotta be kidding me. Hopefully he lets him play QB or try at least because I think he should get a shot. If they try to move him to another position that'll be the worst pick ever.

14. Rudy

Rudy Pumped for NCAA 11

I don't mind the drafting of the WR and Tebow. I hope Tebow pans out. He's smart and a really good athlete. But they paid a lot to move up a couple spots to make sure it happened. They dumped a lot of talent in Cutler and Marshall and ended up with these guys. They better hope they turn out well.

Tebow may struggle a bit early on but this isn't Pat White and he's not competing against any good QBs on Denver's roster. He'll probably be starting sooner than later.