June 1st Team Updates

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PAgamer07, Jun 14, 2012.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

June 1st is typically a point in the season where guys have a very good idea of what is right, and what is wrong with their teams. So let's hear it!

Are you going to be buyers, sellers or neither as the Trade Deadline Approaches?

What player has disappointed you the most this year?

What player has surprised you the most this year?

Plan to call up any top prospects we should keep an eye on this month?

• Like Like x 1
  2. PAgamer07

Are you going to be buyers, sellers or neither as the Trade Deadline Approaches?- We expect to be in this thing until the end. My strategy this year seems to be working well. Unfortunately our payroll is maxed out, so we cannot buy. I would like to do trade some prospects of depth, for some prospects of need though.

What player has disappointed you the most this year?- SS Alexei Ramirez (http://traditionsportsonline.com/tso-ootp/reports/html/players/player_19492.html). His skills absolutely went to shit in the offseason and now his bat is struggling as well. Considering the amount of money we will be paying him for the next few years, this is the worst trade we've made since this thing started. Screw you soxandgators

What player has surprised you the most this year?- C Charles Cutler (http://traditionsportsonline.com/tso-ootp/reports/html/players/player_30509.html). He never had those lovely green and blue ratings that you look for in a batter, but he has exceeded all expectations. If he can keep up the production, he will be our starting catcher for the forseeable future.

Plan to call up any top prospects we should keep an eye on this month?- Yes. SP Garrit Cole (http://traditionsportsonline.com/tso-ootp/reports/html/players/player_22420.html) has been phenomonal this year, highlighted by a 15K game against the Charlotte Knights. His AAA stats continue to improve, and we are going to go ahead and promote him. Our 5th spot in the rotation is a bit of a mess.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Are you going to be buyers, sellers or neither as the Trade Deadline Approaches? Well considering I'm on a 15 game losing streak, I think sellers once again this year. I have some good veteran pieces available as well as some blocked prospects, should be a fun trade deadline for me.

What player has disappointed you the most this year? 20M man Zack Grienke, struggling to a 5.96 era and 7 losses. Still has 60K's and only 17 BB's so I'm fairly certain he will turn it around.

What player has surprised you the most this year? Bullpen in general, being 1st in era with a 2.56. Also, Giambi has performed well at age 42 with an OBP over .430

Plan to call up any top prospects we should keep an eye on this month? SS jonathan Villar and SP Jarred Cosart both made their ML debuts this past sim. Villar had a great first sim and Cosart got out of trouble and kept us in the game.

4. PAgamer07

Villar still has a lot of growing to do, surprised how well he is doing As for Cosart, he looks good on paper, but his performance in AAA has been... bad?

5. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

Ya, I just didn't want to keep Cosart in AAA anymore. I feel like a lot of times they need the ML level to complete their training. I really didn't want to bring up Villar, but his OPS in AAA was monsterous this year and he seems to play better than his ratings (especially the eye category).

6. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Are you going to be buyers, sellers or neither as the Trade Deadline Approaches?
    We'll try to be buyers, but we're kind of in the same boat as the Pirates. Our payroll can't really come up much higher than 60M and we're right around there now. I'd love to add more pitching if its possible though.​
    Brian Matusz. He was decent last year and we had high hopes for him this year. But he hasn't been good for us this year, and we had to move him to the pen because we just couldn't afford to keep trotting out his 9ish ERA every 5 days.​
    Ryan Flaherty. He leads the team in OPS, and is #2 in the AL in ISO. He's hit way more HRs than I thought he could and he's been racking up doubles nearly every night. I traded Brian Roberts to get Flaherty more ABs, but I certainly didnt see it working out this well.​
    This month? Probably not. Look for Manny Machado and Carlos Castello to get their opportunities if we're still in the race in a few more months.

7. PAgamer07

Oh shit. Machado watch is on! And I hope youre not sticking with the Castello at SS expirement

8. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I'm not, he's back to the hot corner. I would've loved to have made it work at SS, but his injuries aren't really helping things, and we'll be coming to a point soon where his bat will just be too advanced for AAA and I don't want to hold him back because I'm waiting on him to develop at SS

9. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

Are you going to be buyers, sellers or neither as the Trade Deadline Approaches? I would say neither unless a big injury happens. I don’t want to jeopardize the future with a stupid trade but would do something if the price, both in talent out and the price to the budget, works out. I did most of my buying, ie Cliff Lee, in the offseason.

What player has disappointed you the most this year? Pick one of my hitters, most of them have been atrocious. I could pick Jordan Schaeffer or Cliff Pennington http://traditionsportsonline.com/tso-ootp/reports/html/players/player_19485.html but I will go with Travis Hafner http://traditionsportsonline.com/tso-ootp/reports/html/players/player_18159.html. Up until the last sim, he was batting .202 with 2 HR’s. I know he was a stop gap at DH but seriously…. Thankfully, he started to heat up a bit this past sim.

What player has surprised you the most this year? I will have to go with OF - Andy Dirks http://traditionsportsonline.com/tso-ootp/reports/html/players/player_30760.html. Dirks was a AAA 1 star last year and now he is a burly homerun hitting 3-hole hitter and arguably my most indispensable offensive player. There is something to be said to sending someone down to figure it out.

Plan to call up any top prospects we should keep an eye on this month? Probably no one as long as Brian Roberts keeps the concussions at bay. If he does decide to break down, I will probably bring in last yrs #1 pick - Drake "Hollywood" Hollow http://traditionsportsonline.com/tso-ootp/reports/html/players/player_34199.html to man the second sack. He will probably be up in September regardless.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  10. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Buyers, but at the right price. We desperately need another arm in the rotation after FA signings and a big injury to Romero have left us weak in the starting rotation.

Justin Masterson. After a solid season last year he is just far too inconsistent through the first couple months of the season.

Jason Kipnis. We all know the kid is talented, but he has just dominated this season. A .303 average with 14 homers and 38 RBIs. He's been a monster.

If Asdrubal Cabrera's injury woes continue, Francisco Lindor could be seeing some Major League action in the coming weeks.

11. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

Neither, I will be in a wait and evaluate process for 2 seasons prolly

Chris Sale, He just hasnt found his groove and when i get this team back to .500 if he isnt clicking i might make a move to the bullpen

Vlad, He has been a monster for us. We arent winning games but it is nice to see him havng 1 last go at it. He is on pace for the all star game so we will see

As of now none, Will evaluate again next month but as of now no

12. PAgamer07

Kipnis has crazy good ratings. Have you thought about slotting him in the 3 spot in the lineup?

As for Lindor. Needs more time ;)

Jeez. Thats what I love about OOTP. Guys like Andy Dirks.

13. PAgamer07

Trade me Sale

14. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

[​IMG]

We are 22-32, 5.5 out of first and I feel like we haven't played our best ball yet. We probably won't be buyers and I doubt we sell anyone also.

Basically the pitching staff has really given me the most disappointment.
    Ryan Zimmerman is hitting around .260 and Mike Morse .232 if Zimmer can get around .300 and Morse .255+ or so we should be making a run at it!

The Shark, forced into the lineup due to injuries, Roger Bernadina is .315 in 54 Games with the highest slugging percentage on the team at .519 leading off and in the two hole. Adam LaRoche's age isn't slowing him down in his average, just over .300 but isn't hitting any HRs and slugging .429.

Marcos Mendoza our first round draft pick in the 2012 class has the possibility being up in the middle of July or August. He was just promoted to AAA after his numbers in AA included: 12 GS, a 5-1 record, 2.79 ERA, 40 BB and 58 Ks. He has excellent stuff, topping out at 97-99 with a good curveball and changeup.
    Others include:
    Matt Purke: subject to poor hitting and fielding in AAA but given excellent innings
    Zech Zinicola: could help bolster the BP
    Brad Lidge: his age is costing him along with his numbers in AAA
    Jayson Werth: hasn't seen any MLB action this year, is currently working his way back from injury in a rehab stint.
    There are a few AA players that might be moving there way up to AAA and some of those players being moved down. There are some good players that are developing and wanting to develop to get to the big leagues.

15. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

We'll be selling big time. Justin Upton will be coming off a 3 week trip to the D.L. soon and we will be taking offers for him until the deadline. We won't be quick to accept an offer so if you want him quick come big.
    Paul Goldshmidt - 1B - Goldshmidt was hitting .300 when injured last year and was supposed to provide some serious pop in the line up. Instead hes hitting .130 and striking out one in every 3 at bats.
    Logan Morrison - OF - I knew this guy was going to be good but he is currently getting on base at a .460 clip and has 14 homers with 42 RBI's despite the fact that no one around him is getting on base.
    Tyler Skaggs will make his debut this next sim as will Zack Cox as we look to shoot some energy into this team.

16. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

[​IMG]
    It will depend on how things go. Sitting at 34-21 and with the best record in the NL, the Crew could buy a little bit but would have to sell at equal value. Financially, the Crew is pretty much strapped. If anything, the Brewers may sell a little bit. Corey Hart figures to be a free agent next season and have been fielding offers for him all year. The Brewers are searching for some bullpen depth. ​

Unfortunately, Prince Fielder for starters... Only hitting .249 and a high strike out rate, and a horrendous average against lefties have many concerned. C Jonathan Lucroy has been equally as bad at the start of the year but is catching fire a little bit lately. ​

I really didn't think we'd be getting what we got out of Jake Peavy. He's got to be an early favorite for the NL Cy Young. Jason Hammel has been a pleasant surprise too. Just imagine if Yovanni Gallardo hadn't gone down with that torn labia, I mean labrum. The Jimmy Rollins trade so far, has proven to be worth the price, as he's #2 in the majors in batting average, and a top 5 WAR and VORP. ​

Already have got a few up. John Stillson has been a spot starter for a few weeks, giving the bullpen some serious help. Already calling up Miguel Velazquez and Ryan Krieger for a boost from the DH spot during interleague play on the road. Jed Bradley or Taylor Jungmann could see time in the majors later in the season if pitching ends up slowing down its pace a bit. ​

17. PAgamer07

sonn Nice job practically giving away John Stinson.

...thought id remind you of how bad that deal was yet again.

18. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

19. sonn

sonn Walk On

Talk to me when Stilson becomes a top 3 starter. He has kinda sucked against LHB and I didn't think he'd be more then a pen arm.

20. PAgamer07

He's only 22. If Smooth handles him properly he still has 3 years to max out his potentials.

21. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Still getting slayed by lefties too...

22. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

SF Giants

Are you going to be buyers, sellers or neither as the Trade Deadline Approaches? Neither. The Giants are maxed out on payroll, but not really looking to unload anyone. All offers for Zito or Vogelsong will be fielded.

What player has disappointed you the most this year? The bullpen. Last year, they were #2 overall in the majors in ERA. Who knew that not resigning Guillermo Mota would result in the bullpen imploding?

What player has surprised you the most this year? 1B Brandon Belt has batted around .300 all season and has batted in multiple spots in the lineup. He is finally living up to expectations.

Plan to call up any top prospects we should keep an eye on this month? Not unless the injury bug strikes.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Darkwing

Darkwing One Nation Under God

[​IMG]

We will be adapting to what is called for. My preference is neither. However, since the worst GM of the year is in control of this team, I think we're forced to try to be sellers.

Rafael Furcal. I mean are you kidding me? The 35 yo SS is batting .197 AVG w/ .304 OBP. His WAR as of now is -0.3. To top it off he has 9 errors in 54 games :eek:. So far we are winning despite him. Expect a rapid turnaround or swift action. Currently searching through organization for any SS that can put his cleats on the right feet and lace up.

Damn, already with the loaded questions in June...
    I HAVE to mention the entire pitching staff here. I knew we would be good, but Holy Schnikes! Best in the NL for Total ERA, Starter ERA, Bullpen ERA, Hits Allowed, Opponent Batting Average, HR Allowed. And 2nd in Walks and Strikeouts (y)

Hmmm...please see my assistant Ms. Helen Keller for that.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Are you going to be buyers, sellers or neither as the Trade Deadline Approaches? Slightly on the side of selling. I have a very strong young core, that won't be going anywhere. But some of the vets like Uggla, Bourn, or Hudson will probably be on their way out the door.

What player has disappointed you the most this year? Is everybody an option? We've hit the ball terribly, our starting pitching hasn't been as good as we'd hoped, and we've been terrible defensively. If I had to pick it would be between Beachy (0-6 4.41 ERA, but his BABIP is up to .363 from .278 last season) or Dan Uggla who was hitting .201 with an OBP of .263 and only 5 HR in 174 AB.

What player has surprised you the most this year? Starling Marte for sure. After being absolutely terrible at the end of last season, he's finally come around and started producing a little bit for us. He's hitting .295 with 3 HR 15 RBI and 3 SB. Not spectacular numbers, but he's spent the majority of the season as a utility guy in the outfield.

Plan to call up any top prospects we should keep an eye on this month? Danny Wood was already called up, and started off well going 5/8 with a couple of runs and an RBI. Depending on how the Pastornicky at 2B, followed by the Simmons at 2B experiments go, Ozzie Chavez could get the call up to fill that gap while Uggla is hurt/playing like a POS.

25. briosu99

briosu99 6* Team Killer

Are you going to be buyers, sellers or neither as the Trade Deadline Approaches? If anything, we'll be selling, but doesn't look like anyone wants to buy what we have to offer. If things get much worse, there may be some wholesale changes. I'm really beginning to think this team doesn't have what it takes to make a run any time soon and needs to be blown up.

What player has disappointed you the most this year? My entire offense. I can't name a single guy that I'm particularly happy with so far and some of my veterans are having historically bad years.

What player has surprised you the most this year? If I had to name someone it would probably be LF Chris Dickerson, if only because everyone else has looked so bad that it makes him look good.

Plan to call up any top prospects we should keep an eye on this month? I'm debating whether to bring SP Dellin Betances up to the majors but I'm not sure if he's ready. If the injuries to the rotation keep up, I might not have a choice.