Just a couple of things

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by BaLLsOuT892, Aug 23, 2009.

1. BaLLsOuT892

BaLLsOuT892 Guest

Just a couple of things

I have been watching a couple of the games around the league lately and I just want to point a couple of things out.

Getting rid of defensive keys was great for guys who sit in one type of defense. However, I have noticed a slight problem. It seems that now it is very difficult to defend a pitch and it seems like the general populous will now bounce a lot of runs outside. I don't really know what you could do about it, but most running plays should NOT be ran to the outside.

Passing-wise, I know slants are the most ran routes but they should also not be abused. Same with "button hooks." It seems that a lot of people run pure slants and button hooks for their passing game.

Surprisingly, not many people abuse screen passes. There tend to be a TON of people running option offenses with teams that don't run the option though. (not really a problem, just noticed)

That's it. Just a couple of things I have noticed. They aren't really game breaking "problems" (it's not TOO hard to defend against this stuff)

2. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

some good observations...

ideally, inside runs are to be run between the tackles for the most part. Bouncing them outside should only be done when your looking at a loss or minimal gain up the gut.

intentionally calling a dive or blast with the intent of bouncing it down the line and to the outside is cheesy business and should not be a part of your gameplanning.

It's also every coach's responsibility to diversify their game plans and mix up the route combinations. That's hard to regulate though, and it's a honor's system for the most part.

hopefully your happy for the most part with the type of game you will get at TF... not sure any community will ever be perfect but we sure try to provide as sim an environment as possible.

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

A lot of good points, but this one sticks out because the game really is broken in some regards, as the defenders break on passes before the receviers do in man coverage. Slants are some of the only plays that seem to work. When people play man, (and they seem to play man/press about 75% of the time) you only have about a 15-25% chance of getting open with other kinds of routes - or so it seems. I try to mix it up but it's folly for the most part.

Also I think it's hilarious how now that the D is completely helpless against the option, everybody is now running the option. You have to manually bring another guy yourself over from the weak side a lot of times to cover the pitch man. That's about the only way. The teams that are designed around the option obviously should be run that way (Ga Tech for example) but it seems that I face option every game now, against people who never ran it before.

4. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

The option worked really well last year too though, especially against users. In the 2009 version I used Temple's playbook and ran all the option plays in the wishbone formation with success. I think the run game in general has become easier/ more effective and more people are just dabbling with the option than before. Also, Ga Tech's success last season(in real life) may have something to do with how people perceive the option/triple option now. I run the ball maybe 25-35 times per game against users this year(mostly between the tackles), whereas last year I ran the ball maybe 20 times per game max.(mostly option plays)

Passing is much harder than in last year's game too (to me anyway).Maybe that is why more people are sticking to the ground game... and the best way to mix up your ground game is to throw in a couple of option plays! just remember not to pitch when your QB is already on the ground. thats not really fair, and doesnt really work in real life (unless youre Vince Young in the 2005 title game). (y)

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I had a really fundamentally sound defense last year and we played the option really well. I didn't have to "do everything" to cover it either. Now I feel like I'm constantly having to make the tackle on the pitch man to avoid giving up a touchdown.

6. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

I disagree here. Who are you controlling when defending option? You have to play it inside out, meaning you almost have to scrape off the QB while angling toward the HB. You have to force the QB inside to the rest of your defenders and be ready to make the one on one tackle on the HB. I cause tons of turns over and can generally shut down the option. Other than the late accurate pitch happening too often, I don't think the option is much of a problem.

7. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

I agree with Blaza on this one. I have had the option run against me a few times in most of the user games I've played and haven't really given up much. I take the FS and angle toward the HB but close enough to the QB that I either drive him back toward the middle or dive tackle on the QB at the last second. If I am taking the right angle I can tackle the HB right after the pitch or string him out to the sideline.

8. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

Yep, in a nutshell, thats how you kill it.

I myself love to run the option in this game, but, thtas because as a coach I'm an option lover. I don't go straight flex like so many though, I like the balanced playbook because I can run option out of pro, flex, and 'bone but still get in gun and (try to) pick you apart. I build my teams around it though because I often pick shitty teams and the option is easy to recruit for...and fun as hell to execute.

I eat some guys alive with it and others can shut me down easy, but, like I said I'm an option/pro guy in real life.

9. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    To Helli's point, that's not how it -should- happen though.

In real life football, you have assignments. Usually your safety (or OLB in the 3-4) should come up and hit the HB in the mouth if he knows he has outside containment on the QB. Typically that is why you usually see the offense send the outside or slot WR inside to cut that pursuit off. This game simply doesn't allow the defense to maintain assignments.

So it is broken, because it isn't how it should be done. You have to manually move a guy over to break the play up. So if you are using the non-play side DE, you have to switch over or you have a 95% shot of giving up 8+ yards.

10. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Um... That's just what I said, you have to take an extra defender (safety, or somebody from the backside) just about every time. At least for me. If I take the MLB or OLB I get owned by the first defender every time. Every defender on the team chases from the backside (not scraping, CHASING) like he's the only guy with the ball. Totally ignoring the pitch man despite me playing the pitch man in strategy.

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

PS Blaza have you ever beaten me? Since when do you get to give me advice punk! :D

12. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Hahaha, I only let you win so I wouldnt get banned from MM :D

13. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Well, 3-3-5 and 4-2-5 defenses totally destroy offenses (no matter the personnel) so just switch to one of them. User control a LB or Safety and you have yourself an unstoppable defense.

Or, at least in the games I've played against it. The most bullshit and unrealistic shit that this game has to offer.

14. Jman

Haha, yeah, I wish the 4-2-5 we run at the HS I'm at worked half as well as in game :p

15. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

that's my favorite defense. it's what Virginia Tech used to run, and still do to a certain extent, the 4-2-5.

4 down linemen, 2 linebackers, a safety who played almost as a linebacker, 2 DB's and a safety that tries to stop the deep passes

16. Joe_THEDREAM

Joe_THEDREAM Living a dream

Not to be insult but, Sounds like you just need to play better. The seams between the CB / middle fielder (FS) are always open. Maybe this defense just stops what you like to run, stuff to the flats, off tackles, ect...

17. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

This used to be a problem in Madden leagues and was usually a product of the sliders the league was using, playing on All-Madden or both.

Its a snowball effect. You bump up either an RB's Ability, Run Blocking or Pass Blocking, making the front seven less effective at stopping the run or rushing the passer.

You lower your defenses awareness, putting the run stoppers and pass defenders in bad positions - especially on the outside runs.

What happens?

Speed becomes paramount because you can overcome bad awareness and size by running around blocks and getting to the point of attack quicker.

18. Maynard

Maynard Banned

thats only 10 guys

19. Jman

Proper 4-2-5 is actually....

4 down lineman
    2 corners
    2 Inside LB's (Sam and Kall)
    2 Safeties (FS Deep, SS Closer to LOS)
    1 OLB (Rover, to the strength call)

Doesn't matter at all but just a lil FYI for everyone. :D

20. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Oh I can pass on it all day. I have no problem with that.

It's just WAY too good at stopping the run and is very frustrating.