Just had a thought....

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Just had a thought....

Okay, I feel dumb for not thinking of this sooner, but it finally dawned on me...

After progression/regression (which can affect modifiers), we lock down modifiers for the offseason.

So once the progression/regression stage is done, give the cap guys 24-48 hours to get the cap books in order as far as new overalls and new modifiers (if any) for the teams.

Once the cap guys lock this down, then trading can begin and FA can begin in earnest.

During this time, modifiers do NOT adjust based on possible new modifiers on new teams. So if you trade for a new starting guy, and you cut your old starter, you won't be immediately bumped up and have to pay 2 starters.

Basically the offseason is in a few stages:

1. Progression/regression
    2. Freeze period of 48 hours to get books in order
    3. FA/Trades
    4. 48 hour period to prep for draft/do cap books
    5. Draft
    6. 48 hour period to get books in order for week 1
    7. Start week 1

At stage 6, the cap guys LOCK down modifiers going into the new year. They set starters at all positions and those do not change UNLESS teams cut starters/trade starters, in which case modifiers can flex to meet the demand.

With 3 cap guys, we could possibly lower that to 24 hours between certain stages, but you get the idea of how the offseason HAS to go to go SMOOTHLY.

Does this make sense? Can we agree to this setup and get it in place NOW. We are in week 12 now. GOTTA get this moving QUICK.

2. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

I agree, with having a structure already in place. You know it's going to get crazy with trades and free agency. I definitely like to freeze time periods. I think we can do 24 hours if we split it up.

3. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

yes...

4. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

I am going to come back and re-read this because I am in a rush, but I had a thought when i read the first line. Maybe this is too far out there and not worth it, but the complaints have all be wrapped around our modifiers, so what if we remove the modifiers and go with years instead. Then to match what we were getting with our years, we come up with a chart like we have now for each positions of minimums, maximums on salary and bonus minimums. just a thought...

5. Jeremy

IMO, if we are going to change our current system again, it will only add to the confusion and not solve it.

Keep as is or go back to our original point system.

Agrees not as realistic, but easier for owners,does what a salary cap is supposed to do,owners would now be able to track their caps on the new league manager and did I mention easier for owners.

Dont get me wrong, I love our system but I spend enough time around it to have grasped the concept fully. Dont think that is the same for most of our newer owners.

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Well, I have yet to hear any feedback from the new crew of owners. What have you heard, if anything, from these guys?

7. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

As we stand now (regardless of changing back to points or keeping this system as is), we have to have an order to the offseason and enough time for the cap guys to get updates in place.

So here is what I would propose as a standard guideline:

1. Commissioner moves league to offseason (pre-draft) where progressions/regressions occur.

2. Teams have 24 hours from the time the commissioner moves to off-season to do the following:
    a. List their progressions/regressions for the upcoming year.
    b. List their 3 mandatory cuts ONLY.

- Failure to do (a.) would cause league leadership to cut the highest player that team has (even if it's a 99 overall), and 2 other players as close to the overall average as possible.
    - Failure to comply with (b.) would cost a team the mandatory cuts' FULL SALARIES as penalty for not complying with instructions.

Basically, at step 2, we should have JUST the "big time" free agents that we have to cut, along with updating overalls.

3. After the 24 hour period to list progressions/regressions/mandatory cuts, the cap guys get 24 hours to update ALL books, updating modifiers as needed. The free agent guru should make a list of all players coming out during this time so all owners have an easy to look at list of players for about 12-18 hours before FA opens up.

After step 3, all modifiers are LOCKED until step 7.

4. IF THE CAP GUYS ARE DONE......Free agency begins after the 24 hour book update period. If there is ANY delay, Wajy (as cap leader) would have to announce it, or Dave (as cap assistant). There should not be a problem though. During this time, trades can now be announced and analyzed/approved/denied, and non-mandatory cuts can be done now.

5. 72 hours after FA begins, we put a freeze on all free agency. We then have a 24 hour grace period for cap guys to update the books again with new signees/cuts and give them catch-up time. No moves can be made during this 24 hour period.

6. Draft preparation - Every team (if above 48 players) must provide a "protection" list to make sure players that they want do not get cut when we simulate the draft. We then get together on the best day for as many owners as we can get online and do the draft.

7. 24 hour grace period to get draft picks put on cap books (since we know their salaries). At this time, the cap guys will update the modifiers to prepare for week 1.

8. Week 1 begins in new season.

Basically, with this setup, the offseason takes a week (minimum) between offseason starting and new season beginning. This may seem like a lot, but this makes sure all books are good to go and everything is ready for the new season.

I would like to post this in the main forum as soon as we can agree to a timetable, whether it's this one or something else we talk about.

8. Jeremy

In all, nice,clean plan!!(y)

9. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Is Dunn (who took Web's spot) the guy now? Or did Dave take Web's spot? I'm so confused....

I don't mind giving MORE time to the cap guys. I just want it backed by the board when I post it so that way owners KNOW how much time we are taking between steps. I think it's far more aggravating to NOT know how long stuff will take rather than stating it will take X hours even if X hours is a long time (to the owners, anything not in 20 min time is too long LOL).

10. Big D

Big D Walk On

I think it's going to be me in charge of the Cap books soon. I'm not sure exactly yet what Nate has decided but I have a proposal in to him to do Cap Book, Rules Committee, Media Coordinator and have Dunn do AFC Prez, Trade Committee, Scheduling Updates.

11. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

I took Dunn's spot (cap/free agency assistant), Dunn took Web's spot (don't know what that was, head of free agency?)

12. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

I like this idea alot. Sorry I havent been around as much as of late but I just want to let you guys know I am here and still very committed to the league. Thanks to everyone (Dave, Win, Dunn) who have been working on the book. Again just wanted to say I am still here and now things in my life a calming down a bit so I will be more available.

13. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Dude, you just got MARRIED.....

lol

We are officially your girlfriend on the side now. :) I hope Mrs. Wajy understands.

14. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

lol I do what I want...just dont tell her I said that

15. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

So is there any more feedback from anyone on this? At all? It's week 13 already. We NEED to get this in play ASAP.

16. Big D

Big D Walk On

Ok, here would be my suggestions for this offseason. I would like it made very VERY clear that I am completely 100% against any huge overhaul of our cap system. This will only add to the confusion even more. And to be honest, the cap book guys here on the board basically put the numbers together for all the teams....the other owners don't even have to do much work except for posting their cuts, trades, signings, etc in their front office thread.

So that said here would be my suggestion.

DAY 1: Record History, Order Trophies, Post OMFL Bowl Content (We do NOT advance franny to offseason...let's give guys a change to celebrate/wrap up a great year!)

DAY 2-3: Franchise advanced to offseason. Progression/regression occurs and retirements occur. Cap Book crew works double time to update ALL of the books by the end of day 3. At the end of day 3, the cap book crew will re-evaluate the league salaries and will propose a cap increase in the board room if needed.

DAY 4-5: New cap number (if any) is announced, and teams begin the process of mandatory cuts. Rules are very strict here, you cannot cut any player that is the final one at their position and anybody who doesn't follow the mandy cut rules or doesn't complete their cuts the respective AFC or NFC presidents will cut players for them.

DAYS 6: For the following FA process to beging the commissioner needs to advance the franny PAST the offseason and to the next season. However BEFORE HE DOES THIS we need to record the draft order! We have missed this the last couple of times, and it has been a painful recovery. So record the draft order then advance to the reuglar season. Advancing to the regular season allows guys to manually cut/sign players. Much easier. After advancing to regular season, owners need to cut all rookies and then resign any guys who were auto cut by the CPU. Simple process if we get everybody on board. Guys who do not get this done are issues an official warning that will count towards their 3 strikes for the next season.

DAY 7-10: There is a 4 day blind bidding free agency window, and trades are open. Next the Blind FA Bidding and Trades go open for 4 days.We need to set up this structure a bit more to make sure we are prepared, but these days are the ONLY days where blind bidding occurs. Any bids placed on FA after the deadline will use the normal regular season proceedures.

DAY 11: Cap book guys continue to update the books and get everything in order. Teams and board begins prepping for the draft!

DAY 12: Rookie Draft via AIM and Skype for board members. Dunlap will be the emcee of this....Winuvas and Wajy will be updating the caps, DJ Dunn will be our official timer, and Jeremy or Nate will be keeping a running list of drafted players on the forums. ALL FA SIGNINGS ARE PUT ON HOLD DURING THIS DAY TO REDUCE CONFUSION. Also, the only draft day trades that will be allowed are trades that are straight pick for pick trades (no players involved)....guys will have day 11 to make any trades if they want to.

Day 13: Caps are re-verified and modified with rookie signings.

Day 14: Season 2 Begins!!!!

17. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

This looks good. I can't complain about this at all. Gives everything a firm timeframe. The only "complaint" I have is that we will probably start the draft on a Sunday which may be not totally on day 12.

18. Big D

Big D Walk On

Correct.....we will need to make draft day a saturday or sunday...

19. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

I also agree about not changing the cap system. Like Seth said, cap guys do all of the numbers crunching anyway. Maybe it's just me, but I really like the modifier system. I guess I just can't understand why it's so confusing to look at your depth chart and say "ok, this guy goes here, this is his modifier"

Couple questions: what is the skype for board members? I've never used that or even know what it is. Also, I'm not listed as doing anything for the draft anyway, but I am very available to do something.

20. Big D

Big D Walk On

Dave...you and Wajy will do cap books during the draft then, and Winvas can 'delete' players fromt he Rookie google doc. I forgot about Frisk too but he can help with something or help me emcee.

21. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

I think we also need to get it straight who's handling what for the offseason FA period, at some point anyway, if we are splitting each of us up by divisions or however

22. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Dave, that will be up to you, Wajy, and myself. What I was thinking is that Wajy takes either AFC or NFC, and you take the other. Then when you guys are done with teams, I will double check ALL of them. No offense, but I have experience checking a lot of books, so I can oversee any possible errors that both of you may miss. As you guys finish up teams, just let me know either via PM/AIM and I will double check it against EA servers and make sure everything is right and clean.

If you have a better suggestion though, or want me to actively help more, please let me know. :)

23. Big D

Big D Walk On

Remember that I am joining your cap book crew.

Basically this is how I see responsibilities split up right now with our active board members. Don't take any offense to this is you aren't listed, that is a subject for another day. Its just we need to make sure our most active and available guys get the correct jobs.

Winuvas: Cap Books NFC North & South
    Dunlap: Cap Books AFC North & South & Free Agency Assist
    Jeremy: Free Agency Head & Commish advance duties
    SaintsDave: CapBooks AFC East & West
    Wajy: Cap Books NFC East and West
    DJDunn: Trade Committe Head
    Frisk: Owner Question/Complaint Liason....mediator will be needed!

24. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

So, is this just for the offseason rush, or is this in effect now?

25. Big D

Big D Walk On

That was my proposal for the offseason rush only