Just ordered a copy of Forza 3. Any tips on a good racing wheel?

Discussion in 'Tradition Racing' started by ociu, Jun 4, 2010.

1. ociu

ociu Hoosier for Life.

Just ordered a copy of Forza 3. Any tips on a good racing wheel?

I'm on a serious (college) budget, and I want to get a decent wheel for prett cheap. Any tips?

Hoping to get to where I could race against you guys eventually. As it stands right now, my last experience with racing games was one of the Gran Turismo games for my PS1, so I'm a bit behind.

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

3. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Only the official XBOX racing wheel works with the XBOX. Micro$oft.

4. Ca$ino

Ca$ino You're Killing Me Smalls

when i picture using the nerd wheel, i cant see having better control over the brake and throttle vs the controller. my fingers are more precise than my feet

5. ociu

ociu Hoosier for Life.

Right on. I've never used one before, but I know some people swear by them, so I wanted to see if that was a good option or not.

Thanks for the tips.

6. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I wonder if some people wish they had the wheel, and that's why they are hating on it? If I felt like throwing that kind of money down on something that I would only use for 1 game, I would definitely get the wheel. I'm sure it would be/would make forza more fun than it already is.

It's just too damn expensive for something that would only be used for 1 game. I have a wheel for my PC and wish it worked for the XBOX.

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I have used the wheel and IMO it is not more effective than a controller. In rare instances where you need really fine control, it is helpful, but overall it requires much more moevment to achieve the same result as a controller... Let's face it if a game was developed FOR a wheel then the controller would be inferior but this one appears to be developed for the controller and adaptable to a wheel.

8. DelZaster

DelZaster Walk On

Good point proffesor Helli

9. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    In my racing experience (Nascar), a wheel helped a TON.

But, back then my PC controllers sucked ass, maybe that is why.

It was much easier for me to roll the throttle in/out turns with foot pedals.

10. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Which game Shaun? I just am getting back into sim racing on Nascar Racing 2003 Season, which I happen to be able to hold my own at quite well. Just got a new Logitech Driving Force GT and love it. I used to use a shit Microsoft Sidewinder, and this new wheel is certainly an upgrade.

11. Ca$ino

i used to use the ms sidewinder gamepad lol

12. Wellmon2003

Wellmon2003 Walk On

Howdy all...
    I use a wheel exclusively. I was using a Microsoft wireless/force feedback that cost about $100 clams. I liked it pretty well other than the fact that it was very cheaply made to wit... the paddle shifters have small plastic retainers which have both snapped on me requiring me to disassemble and super glue as a quick fix. Current state of the wheel is no longer repairable (at least not by me). I could probably send it in and have it repaired or order some replacement parts if I was so inclined but I wont. I plan to purchase a Fanatec wheel and pedal set. This wheel is about $350. It has a clutch pedal which the MS set did not. It also is compatible across xbox, PS, and PC. Logitech makes expensive wheels also but as far as I know none of them are compatible with xbox. Personally I can not play at all with a controller.

13. Ca$ino

That's alot for a wheel but its cool its compatible on different platforms

14. Wellmon2003

Wellmon2003 Walk On

Yeah... actually i went all out (club sport pedals). $400 bones... It will be here on the 18th, Gotta intercept the UPS dude before my old lady gets wind. So when I finally start running with you all, and I am way in the back despite my gross expenditure... don't bust my balls too badly.