Just the tips ........

Discussion in '1st and 10' started by Danthraxxx, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

After talking to bringbackjimmy a while back I decided I would share some things in effort to be better member of our new league. I am not always in full rage , I am actually the funniest guy on this site by a mile :D

I plan to update this every once & a while , feel free to reply or ask me some stuff. I don't claim to know it all by any means but I have played a lot of madden in multiple leagues here. I have also bugged the shit out of the EA game changers on the site lol.

After playing in the this league and a few others I feel like I have a few tips I can share that might help some of the our newer members out a bit. In my other league it is really , really competitive. I mean on any given sunday so to speak I can take an L , no easy wins over there. I am an average madden player at best here on the site, I would be the first to say such but I have had good success by sticking to a few key principles. I see a lot of wacky stuff going on in our league , not so much un-sim things or bad things (I will get to those later in a different post) just some head scratching football stuff. This first post will deal with strictly offense.

While this years Madden is not without flaws, it is easily the best madden and most lifelike so far in terms of being realistic. There are all kinds of theories on what Madden plays and routes are best or what formations. I don’t get into all of that personally, I just try to find out what I do well and set myself up for the most success I can every series on offense. It helps if you know what you do well as a user , and what your roster can and cannot do. Square peg and round hole type thing :)

The first thing I suggest to anyone who is struggling on offense is to use the skills trainer. While it might seem silly it can be a handy tool. I use it learn the timing and route combo’s for passing plays. Having never been a skill position player in real life I never learned how to make progression reads pas a QB. In the past I just tried to create my own ordered reads or scan for open players. Learning how the pass plays work is a good tool. A good majority of the passing game this year can be learned there. I have a few concepts I go to if I am struggling that I have confidence in.

The second concept I have learned to rely on is using audibles. Now I do not ,I repeat, DO NOT advocate creating and entirely new play at the line with 4 route audibles. That shit is cheese and you can GTFO :mad: if you do that. What I am referring to is if I come out in 3 WR 1 TE set, with a run to the weak side and I have only two lineman over there and you have 4 defenders I am either flipping that play or changing it altogether. Don’t run into a brick wall the whole game , that will not work 9 times out of 10. Same goes for the passing game, if you see an overload of players showing blitz think if your play call is going to get you killed or not before deciding to snap the ball. If I see you in a base defense , specially the 4-3 and I have 4WR in my set you can bet your sweet ass I am calling an audible to a pass play. Which leads me to point number three ……

Check your match-ups at the line with the matchup stick. Again this seems kinda silly that this was an added feature but if you think about it this is basically what a QB would see. If you have some scrub CB on my second best WR and you look like you have no safety help I am going to attack that. If I see your LB is blitzing and I am not sure my lineman can handle the blitz I will keep my RB in. Picking your match ups and adjustments isn’t always about getting somebody open, keep your QB upright too. Match ups are a bigger deal this year in madden and I see guys not take advantage of them a lot. Again this doesn’t mean abuse to an unrealistic advantage ( don’t throw it 15 times to one guy , don’t be that guy ) but use it and use it wisely. I will burn somebody if they keep doing setting themselves up for failure.

I have some other ideas I can share for those who want a little help , I have a few pet peeve issues I can address later. I might even add some tips that don’t have shit to do with Madden just for shits & giggles :) I had to learn how to play differently when I came here 3 years ago so if some of these things seem dumb I get it, but if you avoid doing things that are irritating to us older guys you will find out they irritate you too I promise. On the field I would say on the overall I haven’t had but a few minor issues with any of you , except Mogriffjr beating my ass in the playoffs :dino:

Again feel free to comment , agree or disagree with my ideas. I just want to see less 13-3 and higher teams, leagues are more fun when more competitive and the games turn into a real chess match. Also welcome to season three :playful:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Formation audibles are huge imo. More times than not, they are all the same basic concepts: Down on right stick is usually a dive, Up is a quick pass (typically slants or stick), Deep Pass (deep attack or 4 verts are common), and Left is playaction. Understanding what you can "check" to is crucial.

I hate hot routes (checking to a fly has its uses if teams are pressing a lot)-- I fucking hate it when the routes that get ran are nothing like what it shows in the "previous play" thing after the play. If you think people don't notice it and you are "getting away" with it, you are wrong. I'll tell you right now, people might not speak out but it will give you a shitty rep (at least with me-- and others I know).

• Like Like x 1
  3. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Why is checking to a fly bad? if you press a lot you deserve to get burned on a hot route. Albeit I only ever make one hot route if I make one

4. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I meant to convey that I think fly's are about the only hot route that should be used (outside of smart routes).