Kansas City - A New Legacy

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by natedawg212000, Oct 8, 2009.

1. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

Kansas City - A New Legacy

Chiefs Surprise, hire Winuvas as Coach
    by Adam Chiefsman
    Blogger, Kansas City Star

The Kansas City Chiefs have hired Winuvas as the eleventh head coach in their illustrious history. In an unprecedented move, the club also named the coach general manager as well, promoting former GM Scott Pioli to team vice president.

"Winuvas will bring in a new era of Chiefs football, which will be a hearken to the old era of Chiefs football," Pioli said in an introduction for the new coach. "He is a calm, no-nonsense coach that demands the best from his players and coaches 100% of the time."

Coach Winuvas did not have a lot to say at his introductory press conference in front of a small semblance of Kansas City media at the Chiefs facility in Kansas City.

"Fans, I promise you one thing: we will play hard. Kansas City is a blue-collar town, with loyal fans and a great stadium. They deserve better than they have gotten recently. My staff and myself will guarantee maximum effort. We will work hard to put a product on the field that you can be proud of," was the coach's whole statement.

Coach Winuvas left abruptly after the statement and did not take any questions. However, Kansas City Chiefs staff have given me full access to the coach and I will make sure to provide updates to any game stats and exclusive one-on-one interviews with Coach Winuvas. Stay tuned for updates!

2. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Q & A with Coach Winuvas

by Adam Chiefsman

Adam Chiefsman: Coach Winuvas, thanks for taking the time to sit down with me today, and welcome to Kansas City!

Coach Winuvas: It's good to be in the heartland of America, Adam.

AC: So it's your first head coaching stint in the NFL. How are early pains of learning the general manager's role as well as doing head coaching duties?

CW: Well, with Scott (Pioli) here as VP of Football Operations, he is teaching me a lot. It's a steep learning curve though and you don't get a break. Lots of cap management to do.

AC: Any free agents you've signed that you are excited about?

CW: (Mike) Mickens at corner I am high on. I think with him, we have a very young and potential laden secondary that can cover any receiver in the NFL. On offense I have to go with WR Tiquan Underwood. He's got speed that we desperately needed. His hands are a bit suspect, but you know the rule: you can't coach speed.

AC: True, true. So any ideas as to offensive/defensive strategy?

CW: Well, Todd Haley was a finalist for this job and didn't get it. I wanted a hot coordinator to help me get my feet wet, and he was gracious enough to accept my offer. We plan on installing an offense similar to what he used in Arizona - but run oriented more since we have a former Pro Bowler in Larry Johnson. On defense, I want to run an attacking style 3-4 defense - my roots are in defense. Something in the mold of one of my mentors, Rex Ryan.

AC: Do you have the players to run that though?

CW: We're improving every day, Adam. I think after we get these last few guys signed under contract and in camp, they will grasp the schemes pretty quickly. We have a lot of youth, so there will be growing pains, but there's lot of potential. That's why I came here instead of a few other offers I had for more "prestigious" teams. I think this team is damn good.

AC: Really? Did you watch them last year?

CW: Yes, I did. (laughs) The team quit on the coach last year. I love Herm (Edwards), but they quit on him. They won't quit on me.

AC: Why is that?

CW: I demand 100% from every player, every play. If they give me that, and lose, while I am upset about losing, I can't be upset about the effort. Give me a team that gives me 100% effort, 100% of the time, and I'll show you a winner. And I think that is what this city, and this team, deserve.

AC: Thanks for the time, Coach.

CW: No prob, Adam. Talk to you soon.

Stayed tuned to the franchise site for more exclusive interviews!

3. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Coach Winuvas Week 1 Hot Seat

by Adam Chiefsman

Adam Chiefsman: Welcome back from Baltimore, Coach.

Coach Winuvas: Glad to be back in KC, Adam.

AC: So early on you seemed a little gun-shy with your offensive execution. Any reason for that?

CW: When you are facing two future Hall of Famers in Ray Lewis and Ed Reed in your first game coaching, I think anyone would be a little conservative with their offensive selection. Also, I am trying to get to know my personnel and what they can and cannot do during live fire.

AC: Any thoughts after your first game on your offense?

CW: There were some bright spots. I like the amount of plays and time of possession. I like Matt Cassel and his overall decision making. I didn't like our offensive line's execution of their blocking schemes. Some of that can be attributed to Baltimore's fine defense, but we didn't execute consistently as I would like.

AC: Pitching a shutout must feel good in your first game. Your defense was top notch today. How did you get the sudden turnaround?

CW: Well, a couple of changes in personnel setup helped a good bit. We've shifted some defensive linemen around where they are better suited in my opinion and moved some guys from linebacker to defensive end to give us some better push. But effort was the key thing. The defense was 100% effort the whole game.

AC: I know you dislike turnovers. You won the turnover battle against Baltimore. How do you plan on keeping up the turnover battle victories?

CW: For one, don't throw it to the opposite jerseys. (laughs) Seriously, though, we just have to be careful with the ball. Matt (Cassel) just has to keep making good decisions like he did in New England. Our defense, while aggressive, has to take the next step and get the ball back for our offense. Giving the offense a short field always helps the confidence of the whole team.

AC: Any standouts in your eyes from the Baltimore game?

CW: I think (Mark) Bradley at wideout was key for us in the slot. Larry Johnson showed some glimpses. Cassel was good. On defense, Brandon Flowers got a pick, and even though he didn't get much in the stats column, Tamba Hali was a madman on the field. He was non-stop motor every play he was on the field. Moving him to the end position was a good move.

AC: Any guys showing promise on the practice field?

CW: We're learning our new guys and guys that were already here. It's good to have a few veterans like (left guard Brian) Waters, (linebacker Mike) Vrabel, (wide receiver Bobby) Engram, and (strong/free safety Mike) Brown leading these young guys into battle. The young guys will learn quickly how to win.

AC: Any thoughts on the Raiders?

CW: They have good offensive speed and quality at the running back position. They can throw lots of running backs at you and wear you out. On defense, with them getting (defensive tackle Richard) Seymour, their defensive line scares me with the talent they have. I think, though, if we can get past that front four, their linebackers aren't as much quality as their secondary. That is where we can attack them.

AC: Are you going to let the offense go a bit more this week?

CW: We'll see what works for us in the game itself. I try to be adaptable in my game day planning, so if the run works, we run. If the pass works, we pass. If neither work, I hope (punter) Dustin Colquitt can pin the defense deep and we'll play field position and turnover battle.

AC: First home game for you, Coach. Any jitters?

CW: No. I want Arrowhead to be rocking like it was when Derrick Thomas, rest in peace, roamed the field. 79,000 fans causing a massive issue with the Oakland playcallers would make my day.

AC: Coach, good luck against Oakland and I'll see you at the game.

CW: Thanks, Adam.

Stayed tuned to the franchise website for more details!

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Chiefs Offense Offensive in home loss to Raiders

by Adam Chiefsman

Well, the honeymoon for Coach Winuvas lasted exactly one week. Welcome to Kansas City, sir.

The Kansas City Chiefs lost their first home game of the season 30-10 to the Oakland Raiders in front of a sellout in Arrowhead Stadium this Sunday. The game started close, with both defenses exerting their wills on the other's offensive lines. However, turnovers and a lack of offensive punch for the Chiefs cost them.

Oakland drove down the field to start the game but stalled out and had to rely on a Ryan Lindell field goal to put points on the board. Kansas City then did a good job of balancing run and pass to get down the field, with running back Larry Johnson pounding two defenders to score a touchdown, putting the Chiefs up 7-3.

The first big play of the game came when Oakland kick returner Johnnie Lee Higgins ran a kickoff back 96 yards to score Oakland's first touchdown, putting them up 10-7 late in the first quarter just after the Johnson score. This was the deflating play for the Chiefs, and they never fully recovered.

Oakland drove down the field late in the second quarter to score a touchdown after the Chiefs got a Ryan Succop field goal to go into the half 17-10.

The second half was all Raiders as the Chiefs could not get a running game going against the stout front four for the Raiders. Quarterback Matt Cassel looked ordinary, going 14 of 21 for 146 yards and 3 interceptions, as did running back Larry Johnson. The former Pro Bowler ran the ball 12 times for just 30 yards.

The Raiders offense was not much better, but it was good enough. Jamarcus Russell went 8 of 11 for 68 yards with 1 touchdown and 1 interception. Their running game, however, broke the Chiefs. As a team the Raiders ran 22 times for 111 yards, breaking tackles the whole way.

"Their defense was solid, and our offense was horrid. Never a good combination," Coach Winuvas said after the game. "Coach Savaunte has those guys playing lights out. And we apparently turned our lights out."

Coach Winuvas has seen the good and the bad of his team now. Which team will show up in week 3 though against the Eagles? I guess we will all find out in Philadelphia.

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Coach Winuvas Week 2 Hot Seat

by Adam Chiefsman

Adam Chiefsman: Coach, thanks for sitting with us after that loss.

Coach Winuvas: All part of the job, Adam. All part of the job.

AC: So, Coach, where do you begin breaking the game down?

CW: Easy, Adam. In the trenches. This is professional football. If you can't win in the trenches on both offense and defense, you can't win. Period. And while I still like our defensive intensity, our offense is woefully behind. They aren't getting any push off the ball, and I'll seeing lots of lack of effort on the offensive side of the ball.

AC: Anything stand out as a positive for you?

CW: A few things, mainly defensive. Our defense played a solid game today. Not spectacular, but very solid. I was happy with the effort. I was also happy with (Jamaal) Charles as a third down back. I thought he gave us a bit of a spark when he got the ball. Problem is we didn't get him the ball enough.

AC: Any changes in offensive gameplan between now and next week?

CW: We have to run the ball well. While I'm not happy with the offensive line as a whole, they are doing a decent job in passing protection. They are not run blocking well, but a running back has to be able to either run a single defender over or juke him. I don't see LJ doing either right now.

AC: LJ? Larry Johnson?

CW: Yeah, Larry is not playing hard right now. And I'm not afraid to call him out on it. Larry, I'm talking to you right now. If you don't want to play for me and Kansas City, I'll gladly accommodate you and help pack your bags. I'll even drive you to the airport personally.

AC: Wow.

CW: (Expletive) right, wow. This team went 2-14 last year. If you don't want to win here, and you don't want to work hard to try to win here, then get the (expletive) out of my locker room.

AC: Umm...

CW: Sorry, Adam, I don't mean to put you into a tight spot. I think this team is better than what they showed today. Not to take away from Oakland, but we're better than that. I'm just gonna say to the fans of Kansas City that there might be some BIG changes coming if attitudes don't change in some players real soon.

AC: Well, Coach, I must say I like the fire. Hopefully it will help next week against Philadelphia.

CW: If I were Philly, I would prepare hard for a team that will come out fired up to win. And to Oakland: we'll see you guys again.

AC: Coach, thanks for the time and see you in Philly.

CW: See you there, Adam.

Check out the franchise website for more news and reports!

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Johnson upset, refuses to practice

by Adam Chiefsman

*NOTE: This article is a work of fiction, even with Larry Johnson's real agent in here.*

After some harsh comments by new Coach Winuvas about Larry Johnson's lack of effort to start the season, he refused to show up to practice Monday. Calls to Larry's cell went unanswered. However, his agent, Peter Schaeffer, was able to be reached for comment.

"Larry has been a stalwart player for the Chiefs since he got to Kansas City. He has given full effort in all facets of the game. Coach Winuvas' comments were surprising and, quite frankly, angering. Larry has stated to me his refusal to play for the Chiefs under their new coaching regime."

Coach Winuvas was approached after 7-on-7 drills and had a very simple response to the agent's comments. "He already knows my stance on his effort. Him not showing up just proves me right. I got the car warmed up, Larry. Just tell me when to pick you up."

Coach Winuvas is not making friends among the veterans of the ballclub, particularly offensively. A few anonymous sources, all veterans of the club, stated their displeasure at the coach's handling of Johnson's situation. His defensive players to a man, however, stand behind their coach.

The coach did address some new formations noticed in practice today. "We're trying a few new wrinkles to (offensive coordinator Todd) Haley's playbook, adding in and taking out some things that I feel we need to look at." A few formations in the "Wildcat" formation were done as well.

Stay tuned to the soap opera in KC via the franchise website!

7. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Coach keeps promise; Johnson to Cincinnati

by Adam Chiefsman

Coach Winuvas has said after practice Monday that he was willing to drive disgruntled halfback Larry Johnson to the airport to go to a new team. On Wednesday, he fulfilled his promise.

Coach Winuvas showed up at Johnson's home in the suburbs of Kansas City in a Cadillac Escalade, honked the horn, and then when he got no answer went and knocked on the door. Larry answered the door, looked at the coach, and asked one question.

"What the (expletive) are you doing here?"

Coach Winuvas was only too happy to answer. "Fulfilling a promise. Get your stuff. You're going to Cincinnati."

Larry did not take the coach up on his offer, but will finish packing some things and travel to Cincinnati to take up the starting halfback position of the Bengals.

Larry was the centerpiece of a six player deal that involves Johnson, outside linebacker Mike Vrabel, and strong/free safety Mike Brown. Cincinnati agreed to send wide receiver Laverneus Coles, outside linebacker Rashad Jeanty, and strong safety Roy Williams back to Kansas City.

Coach Winuvas said the following about the trade:

"While we hate to lose great veteran leadership on the defensive side of the ball in Mike Vrabel and Mike Brown, we're getting a premier wide receiver in (Laverneus) Coles that we can put alongside (wide receiver Dwayne) Bowe and scare defenses silly. With Roy Williams we get a solid run defender, and we gain some youth and speed on the will side linebacker spot in (Rashad) Jeanty. Sometimes you have to lose a lot to get a lot. We lost a lot with (Mike) Vrabel and (Mike) Brown. I wish Larry Johnson the best in Cincinnati, but I can honestly say I like our running backs we have in (Earnest) Graham and (Jamaal) Charles. I don't think we'll miss Larry. He was great for Kansas City. Key word is 'was'."

The soap opera of LJ is over for now. Stayed tuned to the franchise page for more stories!

8. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Chiefs Upgrade...Really?

By Adam Chiefsman

So what do you do to help out (by points allowed) the best ranked defense and the second to last ranked offense in football just after getting a premium number two receiver in Laverneus Coles? You trade Laverneus Coles!

Wait...what?

In a shocking move, the Chiefs recently traded Laverneus Coles, a player that they received only four days ago, to the Saints in exchange for Darren Sharper.

Also included in the deal were defensive tackle "Tank" Tyler and free safety Dashon Goldson going to the Big Easy, while defensive tackle Kendrick Clancy and wide receiver Robert Meachem are packing for Kansas City.

"While our defense is solid, we need some playmakers on defense. And we got that in (Darren) Sharper. We gave up a star in Laverneus (Coles), but we got one back in Darren (Sharper)."

Criticism is starting to mount, however, about the play of the offense through three weeks of play. The Chiefs have managed just 30 points in three weeks of play, and their total scores have gone down steadily since week one, their only victory. Coach Winuvas has a solid answer to why his team isn't playing well offensively.

"Three words - offensive line play. The big guys up front need to man up as a whole or not even a quarterback like Tom Brady can function. Ladanian Tomlinson can't run a lick without big guys blocking for him. Wide receivers like Randy Moss and Calvin Johnson need time to get open, and if your quarterback is running for his life or on his back, he can't throw to them."

Keep up with all Chiefs coverage on the franchise website at:
    http://www.traditionfootball.com

9. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Chiefs move Cassel, get Vanden Bosch

By Adam Chiefsman

Matt Cassel's days as the savior of the Chiefs franchise are done, in a report from an unnamed source in the Chiefs organization.

While Coach Winuvas is tight lipped as of this time, the source tells me that Matt Cassel is being traded to Tennessee, as well as young defensive end Glenn Dorsey, for defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch and quarterback Kerry Collins.

Matt Cassel has apparently not endeared himself to new coach Winuvas, throwing for 377 yards through three games but also throwing six interceptions versus only one touchdown pass. Glenn Dorsey, the other player rumored in the deal, has had only one tackle through three games.

Vanden Bosch, however, has 7 tackles, with 4 of those for loss. He will instantly upgrade the run defense and pass rush capabilities of the defensive line. Kerry Collins was 12 of 16 in three games with the Titans, but apparently owner/coach Bigox wants to work on getting Vince Young on the field more.

Coach Winuvas has announced a question and answer session tomorrow with me to discuss recent events with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Keep up with Chiefs coverage at the franchise website at:

10. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Hot Seat Week 3 with Coach Winuvas

by Adam Chiefsman

Adam Chiefsman: Coach, thanks for taking some time to sit down with us today.

Coach Winuvas: No problem. Thanks for having me.

AC: Coach, can you break down the Philadelphia game for us?

CW: Yes. It boils down to no offensive line help for our skill players. Defense is making enough plays to win. Our offense is lackluster at best. Philly did not play their best game and still beat us by 10 points. We held them to 13 points defensively. The defense did enough to win the game. They got turnovers, they put pressure on (quarterbacks) Vick and McNabb, and held their receivers for the most part in check. Our pursuit to the edges on defense worries me, though.

AC: Three weeks and still little if any improvement. What do you do?

CW: Well, I'm about out of answers. I've tried running more outside run plays, leaving a tight end in for running plays, and just manning up and running inside. Only thing left is to make changes on the line itself.

AC: Any ideas on who goes where?

CW: We're running (left tackle Brendan) Albert at center and left guard, (left guard Brian) Waters at center and left tackle, and working out (right tackle Barry) Richardson, (left guard Jacob) Bender, and (right guard Greg) Isdaner at all the spots. We need a spark and some chemistry.

AC: What about some of your new signees?

CW: (center Melvin) Fowler will give some push for Andy (Alleman) at the center position. Andy's not playing to his potential, I don't think. In (wide receiver Kenny) McKinley we get more speed at that position, which will help stretch the field a bit. In (wide receiver Kevin) Robinson we get a much needed push in return help.

AC: With all the signees, what about the cuts?

CW: (right tackle Ryan) O' Callaghan was a tough cut. The kid has heart. I hope he gets a chance somewhere else. He can play multiple places across the line. With (wide receiver Bobby) Engram, we are just making a change to try to get more speed and younger at our skill positions. As a crafty veteran, he understands the business side of the OMFL. And (wide receiver Mark) Bradley was another tough cut. He did everything we asked him to do. I just didn't have anyone else I could cut and feel comfortable with depth. Bradley will find a place in this league. You can count on that.

AC: What about the rumored trade of Matt Cassel? Anything you can comment on yet?

CW: What I can say is there is a tentative deal in place to get a veteran defensive presence and a veteran quarterback to manage a game for us. We're giving up youth for experience in this case, but I like our trade for (Alex) Smith at quarterback. I think the 49ers gave up on him too quick and I hope to get him into a game at some point this season.

AC: After three weeks, let's get grades on the team. Start with quarterback.

CW: C-. Cassel has been efficient but too many mistakes and missed reads.

AC: Running backs?

CW: D-. We got rid of a cancer in Larry Johnson. Now the guys left need to step up. I like (Jamaal) Charles and will try to get him in more.

AC: Wide receivers?

CW: C-. They have made some plays, but have had some costly drops. Our speed is quality though, and they are young and can grow together.

AC: Tight ends?

CW: C-. They haven't helped in the blocking game, where I need them to help out, but they have done well as receivers.

AC: Offensive line?

CW: F. Horrible play overall. If they don't step up, they will be stepping out.

AC: Defensive line?

CW: B. Shifting some guys around has helped a good bit. Playing (left end Tyson) Jackson at defensive tackle and moving (outside linebacker Tamba) Hali to end has been a good move. Dorsey has underachieved, though.

AC: Linebackers?

CW: B-. The group has a whole has done okay, but I need them to make more plays. We may do some switches in this area to help out our playmaking.

AC: Secondary?

CW: A-. These guys have covered anyone that has been put out there in man coverage, zone coverage, doesn't matter. They negate a lot of receivers, but I want to see them shine against elite receivers.

AC: Overall team grade?

CW: C-. Our offense just hasn't pulled their weight, and that starts at the offensive line. Our defense has played lights out in two out of three games. The offense has to get better. I'm looking into changing up some plays and trying some different formations that might be better suited to our personnel and playmakers.

AC: Coach, thanks for your time.

CW: See you later, Adam.

Stay tuned for more Chiefs coverage at the franchise website:

11. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Chiefs practices reveals plans

by Adam Chiefsman

The Chiefs' practice facility was a bit of a change from normal today. Of utmost note was the offensive line drills.

During practice today, Coach Winuvas did a complete line shift and ran all ten offensive lineman on the roster in all positions.

"I'm taking the offensive line back to the drawing board. Everyone is at square one and all five positions are on try-outs, essentially," Coach Winuvas said in between drills. "Even (left guard Brian) Waters has to earn his spot back.

After two intense practices, Coach Winuvas left the field in disgust. "These (expletive) (expletive)holes just don't get the idea. There will be more 'tryouts' and a big time different look at every position on the line come next Sunday versus the Giants."

On another, brighter note, Alex Smith got some reps with the first team and did well, completing some long passes to both Tiquan Underwood and Quentin Lawrence. The running game could not get going, as was expected with the porous line play, but Jamaal Charles did well in receiving some dump off passes during a two minute drill.

Defensively, Coach Winuvas ran some of the backup linebackers, including Scott Shanle and Scott Fujita, at middle linebacker, positions that neither has played in the OMFL.

"It was a good run. I'm interested in trying them out to see if we have some playmakers that need to get into the game instead of sitting the bench," Coach Winuvas said about the changes.

One guy who practiced very well today in both practices was Brian Johnston, a backup outside linebacker/defensive end who was signed earlier this offseason.

"He's a good rushing end and speedy enough to play the outside. He's got some good pass rush moves, but he's very raw," Coach Winuvas said of Johnston. "I like him as a faster version of Tamba Hali."

There are more heavy practices coming, according to Coach Winuvas. He also is making some changes to the playbook after chatting with offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

"(Offensive coordinator Haley) Todd and I chatted about modifying the playbook to match the personnel. I'm thinking of scrapping the pistol formation and putting in more 'west coast' style formations. I think, right now, our strength is our receivers and their ability to catch and break tackles. Let the short passing game be our running game until the offensive line gets on track," Coach Winuvas said.

12. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Chiefs announce changes

by Adam Chiefsman

Coach Winuvas finally made some announcements of changes to the team today after a longer than normal practice at the facility in Kansas City.

"We're gonna go with Alex (Smith) at quarterback this week against the Giants. Also, we're changing up the right side of the line, sitting (right guard Mike) Goff and (right tackle Ryan) Tucker and starting (backup right guard Greg) Isdaner and (backup right tackle Barry) Richardson at right guard and right tackle, respectively. Also, we're starting (backup right outside linebacker Brian) Johnston at right end in place of (right end Glenn) Dorsey, and (backup outside linebacker Scott) Fujita at middle linebacker in place of (middle linebacker Demorrio) Williams."

When asked how he came to the personnel choices, Coach Winuvas had a few words to say.

"Well, our offensive line has looked like horse (expletive). I would have made more changes, but I'm trying to show some players some respect they have earned in the OMFL during their careers. Cassel has made some good throws but also some mental mistakes. Dorsey hasn't played up to his talent level, but I think he just needs a fire under him a bit. Hopefully watching the game this week from the sidelines will do that. As far as at linebacker, I'm just hoping (Scott) Fujita brings some playmaking skills like what I saw in New Orleans."

Will the changes help out or hurt against the Giants this Sunday? Stay tuned to the Chiefs franchise site for more details at:

13. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Week 4 Hot Seat with Coach Winuvas

by Adam Chiefsman

Adam Chiefsman: Coach, thanks for taking some time after that post-game conference to sit down with me.

Coach Winuvas: Getting used to this now, Adam. Fire away.

AC: What is your analysis of the game with the Giants?

CW: Well, to be honest, Adam, they made us look like junior varsity out there on the defensive side of the ball. Some of that has to do with personnel changes, but not a lot. They just flat out whooped us on both sides of the ball.

AC: "Whooped" you?

CW: Yeah, it's worse than a whipping but not as bad as an (expletive) whooping.

AC: Okay...so how did you view personnel changes overall?

CW: Well, I definitely like (outside linebacker Brian) Johnston at defensive end. He was explosive off the ball. Two sacks this game against that offensive line is solid. I have to figure out a way to keep him out there. He's earned a starting spot. The other defensive move, (Scott) Fujita didn't work as well as I had hoped. I'll probably move (Demorrio) Williams back into that area for next week's game at Dallas.

AC: Offensive line, Coach?

CW: Oh, yeah. (Right guard) Mike Goff was great as a benchwarmer. (Right tackle Ryan) Tucker hasn't played bad, but the right side has been a problem so I put in (backup right tackle Barry) Richardson, and he and (right guard Greg) Isdaner played well enough to keep their spots. The line overall did pretty well in run blocking overall; they got a lot of push. But pass blocking...little different story.

AC: How much of it is offensive line and how much of it is Alex Smith?

CW: Not gonna lie, Adam. Alex didn't have a good game. He missed some throws and was erratic all game. I think the pressure of having to take a team from that far down that early got to him. I'd say about 70% of it was on Alex, with 30% going to the offensive line as a group. But that says a lot of the Giants defense as a whole.

AC: Talk about Jamaal Charles and what he meant in this game.

CW: That was a special game he had, minus the fumble. Kid was fighting all game when we gave him the rock, and he didn't disappoint. THAT kind of running is what Kansas City is used to. Just gotta keep the fumbles down, which is something he can work on.

AC: 166 yards on 15 carries and two touchdowns is a great game, indeed. So how do you feel the offense did overall?

CW: We still are very young and learning. We are making mistakes. But I saw a spark today. Not much, mind you, but a spark that we might be turning the corner a bit. If we can get that kind of run blocking every week and play with a lead instead of a deficit, we can turn up the heat defensively. That is where we will see more victories than defeats.

AC: Any thought of further line changes?

CW: At this time, no. Unless someone gets injured, I wouldn't expect much changes on the offensive line. I also think we'll stick with Alex Smith for a while as well. I think right now he gives us a good chance to win, even with the bad game he had.

AC: Coach, you have Dallas next week. Any concerns going into that game?

CW: Well, with (halfback Marion) Barber out, they'll probably lean more on (quarterback) Tony (Romo). With that said we have to get on top of their receivers and hope to goodness that one of our linebackers or corners can cover (tight end) Jason Witten. On defense that pressure scares me. We have to keep them out so we can maybe take a shot or two deep. Then that opens up (Jamaal) Charles for another big game.

AC: Coach, we'll talk to you next week sometime.

CW: See you then, Adam.

Get all the up to the minute Chiefs coverage at our franchise website:

14. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Chiefs fire Haley, new playbook in place

by Adam Chiefsman

Hours before their game with the Dallas Cowboys, an unnamed source in the Chiefs organization has informed me that Todd Haley has been let go as offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Todd Haley, successful coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals during their OMFL Bowl run last year and hot commodity for a head coaching job, was unsuccessful in his bid to be Kansas City Chiefs' head coach. He lost out to current coach, Coach Winuvas, but was hired as an offensive coordinator by the new coach. Coach Winuvas expressed a lot of joy at having an explosive offensive mind such as Haley guiding the offense and young talent on the offensive side of the ball. However, after 4 weeks the offense has not clicked at all and is one of the lowest scoring offenses in the OMFL. It is currently unknown if the offense will be changing their offense a lot before the Cowboys game or if another week of practice with a new system will be needed.

Coach Winuvas was in pre-game preparations and was unavailable for comment on this story.

Continue monitoring all Chiefs coverage on the franchise website:

15. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Ownership Rumblings in Kansas City?

by Adam Chiefsman

Is it possible that Coach Winuvas might not even make it through the season? According to some sources I have, the answer might just be yes.

After the team's initial victory against the Ravens, the Chiefs have fallen in 4 straight contests, showing little offensive punch and wearing out a solid defense. Before the Cowboys game, Coach Winuvas fired offensive coordinator Todd Haley and instituted the start of a West Coast style offensive scheme. While not fully implemented, it showed some positives, especially for young quarterback Alex Smith, who in defeat last week against the Cowboys played very well, even outplaying Tony Romo in this reporter's opinion.

However, with losses mounting, cap numbers being inflated, and ownership not seeing results, a high ranking organization official who wished to remain anonymous told me, "Ownership is seriously considering a change at coach."

Can Coach Winuvas save his job, if it is indeed on the line?

16. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

More offensive line changes in Kansas City

by Adam Chiefsman

Brian Water's days of playing at left guard in Kansas City may be coming to an end. If they are, he has had a stellar OMFL career and he will be missed.

Coach Winuvas today announced a complete line change for next week's game versus the Washington Redskins.

"Against Washington, we'll be starting (backup center) Andy Alleman again at center, with (left tackle) Brendan Albert moving into left guard. At this time we're starting (former backup left tackle) Herb Taylor at left tackle. We're keeping Greg Isdaner at right guard, and Barry Richardson at right tackle."

When asked why he's sitting Brian Waters, Coach Winuvas had a simple response. "If we are going to play like the worst offensive line in football today, we might as well start young guys and let them learn how to play."

Coach Winuvas also promised another Q and A with me later in the day, which will be posted as soon as I can get it down.

Keep up with all your Chiefs coverage at the franchise site at:

17. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Week 5 Hot Seat with Coach Winuvas

by Adam Chiefsman

Adam Chiefsman: Coach, thanks for sitting down after that practice today.

Coach Winuvas: No problem, Adam. Thanks for having me.

AC: Coach, start with your change at offensive coordinator. Why fire Todd Haley so soon into the season?

CW: Well, Adam, after hoping his offensive schemes would make some big plays for us after seeing what it did in Arizona, Todd just couldn't get the offensive line, and thus the offense, flowing. With the personnel we have, we have to have a different offensive philosophy.

AC: And what is that philosophy?

CW: We have to get short passes going as our running game. If our offensive line can't block anyone for very long, we have to keep the reads short on our passing game and, if we run, run to the outside and keep away from the interior.

AC: How much does that aggravate you? I know your philosophy offensively is to pound the run and play solid defense.

CW: Well, it does make me angry that we cannot pound the ball inside and dominate in the trenches. But, as a coach, you have to be able to adjust your gameplan based on your opponent and your own personnel. We have to adjust. That is my job.

AC: Now let's move onto the game against the Cowboys. How did your new gameplan work out?

CW: Well, Adam, since we decided so late to let (offensive coordinator) Todd (Haley) go, we didn't have a chance to get the full playbook in for this game. No excuse, as that is my fault completely for letting the team down in that regard. However, (quarterback) Alex Smith and (wide receiver) Quentin Lawrence played very well for us offensively. I kept calling bad runs, so (halfback) Jamaal (Charles) didn't have as good a game as he should, but we were playing a very good defense in Dallas. I still feel like we let one get away.

AC: How do you mean, Coach?

CW: Well, you force 4 turnovers, get two interceptions from (Dallas quarterback) Tony (Romo), his first two of the year, you should win. But we fumbled WAY too much, and we let them run all over us. Because of that, I have to make changes yet again on both sides of the ball.

AC: What are those changes? I know you talked about sitting left guard Brian Waters. Any other changes?

CW: Yeah. We're going to go with a massive youth movement on the line. (Left tackle) Brendan Albert has allowed a few sacks, so to get him back on track we're moving him to (left guard) Brian's (Waters) spot at left guard. Im putting backup center Andy Alleman back in for Melvin Fowler. Nothing Melvin has done; I just feel like if we're gonna play this bad, let's start youth and get them better. At left tackle I'm actually getting a young guy in free agency that will come in and start there. I scouted him a bit when I was a coordinator, and I like his toughness. We're keeping Greg (Isdaner) at right guard and Barry (Richardson) at right tackle.

AC: That will make you quite young across the line. Do you think that will help?

CW: Adam, you've watched us play. Can it hurt?

AC: No, it can't, Coach. What about on defense? I know you talked about getting bigger.

CW: Yeah, Adam. I hate doing this, but I have to replace Tamba (Hali) at defensive end. He's playing well but getting pushed around in our 3-4 setup in run support. So I'm moving Tyson (Jackson) back to left end to pair up with Kyle Vanden Bosch. I'm moving Terrance (Taylor) in to start at defensive tackle. At 315 lbs, he's big enough to be a run clogger inside for us, I hope. He hasn't been practicing very much with the first team, so I'm running him through with the first team to get him some reps, see how he does.

AC: Coach, have you kicked around the idea of changing to a 4-3, even though it's midseason?

CW: I have, Adam. I'm still thinking about it. That could be in the cards very soon, even with as well as what the defense is playing.

AC: Coach, one last question: there have been sources that have contacted me to say that your job is in jeopardy. Any response to that?

CW: Yeah. I have a response. The Kansas City Chiefs hired me to fix this team. I am frustrated right now, no denying that. This is a work in progress that will take some time to fix. If the ownership wants me gone, tell me to my face. Otherwise, let me do my (expletive) job.

AC: Coach, thanks for the time and good luck against Washington next week.

CW: Thanks, Adam.

18. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Kansas City Ownership gives vote of confidence to coach

*NOTE: The use of real people in this article is a work of fiction.*

by Adam Chiefsman

In an unprecedented move, owner Clark Hunt and team vice president Scott Pioli scheduled a press conference together to show support for their embattled coach, Winuvas. Clark Hunt stepped to the microphone first and had the following statement:

"We hired Coach Winuvas knowing that he had a big task in store for him. We had other coaches that we could have brought in to do the job that had better qualifications. However, Coach Winuvas brings us, to this day, toughness and confidence that he can turn it around. He is honest, to a fault, and too competitive sometimes. But that is what we wanted, that is what we hired, and that is what we still want. Coach Winuvas is our coach for the foreseeable future."

Scott Pioli then walked up and issued the following statement:

"Coach Winuvas has made great strides to get this team even younger than they were already. He has also gotten in players that he likes. Right now he is still trying, even with the trade deadline looming, to move players to get better on the offensive line. And he's signed a lot of free agents that are young and talented. We have full support of Coach Winuvas in this trying time, as does our whole organization."

If that isn't a vote of confidence for Coach Winuvas, I don't know what is.

19. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Week 6 Hot Seat with Coach Winuvas

by Adam Chiefsman

Adam Chiefsman: Coach, thanks for sitting down with me after your meeting with the team.

Coach Winuvas: No problem, Adam.

AC: Coach, the offense looked...well, it looked better than it has.

CW: Worlds better, Adam. Even I was surprised. On the offensive line, we pushed around a big defensive front for a lot of the game in Washington. We had a few errors, but the team is working hard to get the new offensive system in place. I give them lots of credit for that.

AC: Alex Smith looked like he regressed a bit today, though. Two interceptions on 14 of 27 passing.

CW: Well, to be fair, one of those picks was bad luck, and the other one I tip my cap to (Washington strong safety) Chris Horton. The first one, (wide receiver Robert) Meachem should have caught. Instead, it bounces off his hands into (Washington linebacker) Rocky McIntosh's hands, and he runs it back for a score. Chris Horton's interception, though, was just a great play. He jumped into a zone and caught the ball with one hand. That was Pro Bowl material right there. And other incompletions were just drops by our receivers. I know Meachem had 2 or 3 drops, (wide receiver Lawrence) Quentin had an uncharacteristic drop, and even (wide receiver) Dwayne Bowe dropped a pass.

AC: So Alex hasn't regressed then?

CW: Not at all. Keep in mind this guy is now learning his third offensive system in a year. I don't think ANY quarterback, (Colts quarterback) Peyton Manning or (Patriots quarterback) Tom Brady included, could do that. I still think he can be a quality quarterback in this league, Alex can.

AC: Talk about Jamaal Charles.

CW: That's the kind of game we need from him to bring a few victories to Kansas City. 130 yards on 15 carries, 3 catches for, what, 37 yards? Guy was on fire. Two big touchdowns on the ground by him as well. Only complaint was he fumbled again, but he did recover that ball. Good hustle on his part to get the ball back for us.

AC: So now we come to the defense...what happened out there?

CW: (Washington quarterback) Jason Campbell was not spectacular all game. He was spectacular in bursts. Problem for us was those bursts happened at the end of the second and fourth quarters. That two minute drive he engineered at the end of the second quarter was masterful. I called zones, man, blitzes...nothing worked it seemed like. And the fourth quarter drive was a killer for us.

AC: Any positives for the defense?

CW: They did well in holding the Redskins in spurts. But we just didn't play a full game on defense. I hate to say that, but it's true. We gave up too much easy yardage and couldn't get heat on (Redskins quarterback) Jason (Campbell) all day. We have to play solid defense when our offense is finally clicking.

AC: B.J. Sams had a big kickoff return. Tell me about that.

CW: Beautiful play and all effort on Sams' part. He broke 2 or 3 tackles, found the seam, and just out ran the other guys to the end zone. Got some good blocking from special teams on that one. Was a big play to put us back ahead with about 4 minutes to play.

AC: Any chance of getting more depth on defense? You had them out there a long time this game.

CW: Well, right now we have some roster spots but with cap restrictions I don't know if we can bring anyone in unless it's for a bare minimum. I'm working on getting some deals done before the trade deadline passes. Hopefully that will free up some space.

AC: Finally, Coach, what did you say to your team after the game?

CW: You a player, Adam?

AC: Uh, no....

CW: Then you aren't gonna find out what I said to them unless they tell you. Gotta run, Adam. See you later.

I'd like to thank Coach Winuvas again for sitting down with me all season long. He's been very patient and honest even after tough losses like this one.

Keep up with all Chiefs coverage on the franchise website:

20. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Waters' Chiefs career over

by Adam Chiefsman

Brian Waters has been a stalwart left guard in this league for 10 years, all of them with us, the Kansas City Chiefs. Today, he packed up his locker for the last time after being traded to the Jacksonville Jaguars today.

Coach Winuvas had a somber press conference to announce the trade to the press.

"I know we're probably not playoff bound this year. It REALLY hurts to say that. We're in rebuilding mode. There is no doubt about that. I desperately tried to find Brian (Waters) a home with a team that looks like a playoff contender now. Truth is, the teams that called us that are in that area now couldn't offer what I felt was fair value. Jacksonville did. I hope he is the piece that gets them (Jacksonville) going in the right direction, because he's a hell of a good guy and a hell of a good left guard. I wish him nothing but the best. He deserves a shot at an OMFL Bowl, and I hope I gave him one in sending him to the Jaguars."

Waters was the biggest name in the three for two player trade. He and underachieving free agent wide receiver Kenny McKinley travel to Jacksonville, while three players come back to Kansas City: wide receiver Mike Sims-Walker, a second year player out of UCF who was the odd man out in Jacksonville's receiver rotation, defensive tackle Terrance Knighton, a 6'3", 325 pound rookie out of Temple, and strong safety Gerald Alexander, a second year player out of Boise State with some coverage capability and decent speed. In limited time with the Jags, Alexander had 4 tackles.

"Alexander gives us some speed in the safety area. No offense to (starting safety) Roy (Williams), but we need to have more speed back there, and he (Alexander) gives us that along with (backup strong/free safety) Matt (Giordano). In (Mike) Sims-Walker, we have another quality young receiver that can catch the ball and can get down the field in a hurry. I think we have some of the best young receivers in the league right now, and in a year or two they will make my job very easy and very difficult in figuring out roster spots and playing time. With Knighton, we get depth to play the nose tackle in a 3-4, and another young quality big body in the unlikely event we decide to rotate into a 4-3 setup," Coach Winuvas analyzed as he was at the podium discussing the trade.

It will be difficult seeing a guy like Brian Waters go. I covered him a lot during my time in Kansas City, and he was a joy to talk to. Personally, I wish him the best. Good luck in Jacksonville, Brian.

Keep up with all Chiefs coverage on the franchise website at:

21. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Chiefs Midseason Report Card

by Adam Chiefsman

The Kansas City Chiefs have completed their halfway point of the season. While not a bright season in the wins department, there are some things to be excited about going into the second half of the season. They are:

1. Jamaal Charles. The young running back out of Texas is showing why he was a high draft pick last year for the Chiefs. His high octane speed in the running game has been huge, with 72 attempts for 441 yards and 4 rushing touchdowns. That's a 6.1 YPC average. The young back is also showing flashes in the passing game, catching 15 balls for 136 yards and a receiving touchdown.

2. Quinten Lawrence. Who? When Coach Winuvas came into Kansas City, this rookie was sixth on the depth chart. He's now the Chiefs' leading receiver with 16 receptions for 237 yards and a receiving touchdown. If Dwayne Bowe is covered, which he usually is, quarterback Alex Smith is looking for Lawrence.

3. Change to the West Coast Offense. Coach Winuvas' best decision to date may be getting rid of offensive coordinator Todd Haley and instituting a west coast offense. Alex Smith and his team is still learning it, but they are getting better offensively every week.

But for every good, there is lots of opportunity for improvement. Here are our midseason grades, position by position.

Quarterback: C. Alex Smith has not been bad, but could be a lot better. Getting the ball deep down the field will help in the second half.

Halfback/Fullback: B-. Jamaal Charles has been stellar in spots, but fumbles have hurt the team in the turnover department. Using reserve Arian Foster as a one-two punch may help, or using back Earnest Graham, who is currently in Coach Winuvas' doghouse, may help. At fullback, Naufahu Tahi has been a boost in the running game, acquired in a trade from Minnesota.

Wide Receivers: C+. Dwayne Bowe has not been as good as he could, but Alex Smith has been trying to spread the ball around. Benefits are finding some diamonds in the rough in guys like Quinten Lawrence. Bad things are drops all along the reserves, including Tiquan Underwood, a guy the front office was really high on, and Robert Meachem.

Tight Ends: C. Not a whole lot of good, but not a whole lot of bad either. David Thomas has done a decent job of catching the ball, but no tight end on the roster has helped in blocking in the running game.

Offensive Line: D+. By far the most disappointing part of the team as a whole. Coach Winuvas has made so many line changes it is not funny, but some chemisty may be developing with the crew they started the last two weeks: Lydon Murtha at left tackle, Branden Albert at left guard, Kory Lichtensteiger at center, Greg Isdaner at right guard, and Barry Richardson at right tackle.

Defensive Line: C+. While not getting a lot of pressure, they have held their own in the run game and been solid, if not spectacular. Lots of movement to get pressure in this area by Coach Winuvas has not worked to his satisfaction, but defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch has been a veteran presence on the field.

Linebackers: C. Similar to the tight ends on the offensive side of the ball, the linebackers have been solid, but nothing overly special. Some changes to the corps, however, with middle linebacker Derrick Johnson moving to outside linebacker and some youth starting at middle linebacker, Coach Winuvas is hoping to get some energy and excitement in this area.

Corners/Safeties: B+. A good unit overall that has not been burned for too many deep pass plays. The only knock on them is not getting enough turnovers with interceptions, but this group can cover almost anyone in man coverage, and they are VERY young at cornerback. Veteran free safety Darren Sharper helps anchor this section.

Coaching: C. Some good moves by the coaching staff, and some bonehead moves in free agency keep this grade average. In his first year inheriting a bad team, he made them younger and more potential laden. The only problem with potential is it takes time to discover that potential. Will Coach Winuvas have that kind of time?

Schedule: D-. The schedule for the Chiefs through the first half of the season was BRUTAL. The second half gets better, and the Chiefs can possibly muster up another victory or two before the season ends.

Overall Grade: C-. Okay, maybe they deserve a D. But there are promising signs showing up on both sides of the ball, and we'll see lots of youth playing in the second half, which means mistakes, but learning. I think any Kansas City fan can take that and prepare for next season.

Kansas City fans, don't give up on the Chiefs. They won't be a playoff team this year more than likely, but with a year of play time under their belts, this young squad will be better next year, and that will make them dangerous next year.

Keep up with all your Chiefs coverage on the franchise site at:

22. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Coach, It's Not Totally Your Fault

by Adam Chiefsman

Well, Coach Winuvas, we can safely say that the Chiefs' season is not completely your fault. Some of the Chiefs' woes can be attributed to talent. The Chiefs fell 34-0 to the Jaguars at Jacksonville this Sunday in a lackluster effort by all involved on the Chiefs side.

The big story of the game was turnovers - plenty of turnovers by the Chiefs, and none for the Jaguars. Alex Smith was efficient but turnover prone, completing 11 of 19 passes for 169 yards but had 2 interceptions and a costly fumble that came on the 4 yard line driving in to score a go ahead touchdown early. The score would have made it 7-6 Chiefs. Instead, the Jaguars came down the field, scoring a touchdown to make it 13-0.

A non-existent running game was also painfully apparent, as Jamaal Charles ran the ball only 7 times for 33 yards. Quentin Lawrence was the stud in the receiving corps, getting 3 catches for 46 yards. The offensive line also played better, and are apparently beginning to gel and develop some chemistry as they play together.

The defense for Kansas City played better than the score indicated, with stalwarts like Tamba Hali and Kyle Vanden Bosch getting four tackles each. However, Jacksonville and MVP candidate Maurice Jones-Drew were too much along with the Kansas City offensive turnovers.

Jones-Drew ran the ball 21 times for 140 yards and 3 touchdowns, and had 5 receptions for 53 yards. Youngster Jarrett Dillard had a big pass play against Brandon Carr, catching a 92 yard pass while well covered and taking it for a touchdown.

David Garrard, much maligned quarterback for Jacksonville, had a near perfect day, completing 13 of 15 passes for 245 yards and the one touchdown to Dillard. The defense for Jacksonville played lights out as well, with defensive linemen Patrick Kerney and John Henderson each getting a sack of Alex Smith.

Midway through the third quarter, Coach Winuvas received an emergency call and had to leave the playcalling in the hands of his assistant, Clinton P. Upchurch. His assistant did not do very well.

"Look, CPU has led the team in practice on defense, and I thought he could get the job done in live fire. I was wholly underwhelmed. I don't care if I myself am dying, there will be no emergency that takes me off the field again," Coach Winuvas said via cell phone.

When pressed for the emergency, Coach Winuvas was terse. "Personal matters. Nothing more."

The Chiefs (1-8) take on the Raiders next week, while the Jaguars (4-4) enjoy a trip to the Meadowlands to take on the Jets.

Stay tuned to all your Chiefs coverage on the franchise website at:

23. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Coach Winuvas Coach No More

by Adam Chiefsman

After a lackluster 31-7 loss to the Oakland Raiders today, Coach Winuvas had no more answers left, except one.

"I resign from the head coaching job of the Kansas City Chiefs. I have tried to motivate the team, change the culture, and change the personnel of the team to get a winner in here. However, I could not get the job done. That falls completely on me, and that is the only thing left to change is me. I wish the Kansas City Chiefs the best, and I apologize to all the fans of the Chiefs and OMFL that had to watch that kind of play."

Coach Winuvas then left the podium for the last time.

24. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Pioli Not Accepting Resignation

by Adam Chiefsman

Scott Pioli quickly scheduled a press conference for today to discuss the decision of Coach Winuvas to resign as head coach/GM of the Kansas City Chiefs yesterday.

"While we very much understand Coach's frustration at this time, he spoke out of frustration and anger. In that state of mind I will not accept his resignation as head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs. However, with that frustration in mind, I am making moves to contact other coaches who may be interested in taking over for Coach Winuvas so that he may move on to other interests, if he so chooses."

Pioli continued his PR work with another statement:

"In light of the recent mounting losses and team chemistry issues, I have decided to take a more active role in advising Coach Winuvas of personnel choices and day-to-day decision making so that he may maintain a healthy stress level and get back to coaching the team up for next Sunday. I hope we can keep him around in Kansas City, because I think he's a good guy and a great football mind, but I will not stop him if he chooses to leave either after the season or during the end of the season."

More than a few players on the team expressed their anger at their play after a very tough loss to the Raiders.

"The blame falls squarely on us. We are not executing his game plan on offense, and it very much shows. He had the faith to bring me in here, and right now, I'm not delivering," quarterback Alex Smith said. "Our offense as a whole is not doing our job. I'm not doing a good job of moving the team, the running game is not doing a good job of controlling the clock, our receivers, when they are open and I get them the ball, are having mental lapses and giving up crucial drops. Our offensive line, while better, is still getting consistently beat by average pressure. We're just not a good football team."

The same sentiment was echoed by veteran defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch.

"We suck on offense and defense. We're playing (expletive) football right now. And it shows."

Oddly enough, though, to a man, the team, while angered by Coach's sudden resignation, said they did not blame him and wanted him to stick it out.

"There's nowhere to go but up. Coach (Winuvas) has got to see that. He put us together because he believed in us, and we have let him down. Now it's up to us to prove to him that we are who he thought we were," reserve outside linebacker/defensive end Brian Johnston said. "I was on the street when Coach called me up and asked me to be a Chief. A lot of us were. We need to get our (expletives) in gear and man up, all 55 of us."

The question is, will they? Or rather, CAN they?

Calls to Coach Winuvas' cell phone were unanswered and he could not be reached for comment on this story.

Keep up with all your Chiefs news on the franchise website:

25. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

LAST POST FOR KC CHIEFS!!!!

Coach Winuvas goes to Bucs

by Adam Chiefsman

Coach Winuvas has apparently had enough of the Kansas City Chiefs. He has agreed in principle to a deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers which would allow him to coach the team starting with their game this Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons.

"It's a tough process when you get a coach in and he works hard to change the culture, and ultimately gets overwhelmed," team vice president Scott Pioli said today. "As a result, Coach Winuvas and the Chiefs agreed to cut ties with no hard feelings. We at Kansas City wish him well in his new endeavor to clean up the Buccaneers."

Pioli will move back into the general manager's chair, and his first order of business will be to get the Chiefs a new head coach. The team is young and full of potential, but can they get a coach to tap into that potential? We'll find out in the next few days.

Keep up with Chiefs coverage on the franchise website:
    www.traditionfootball.com