Kasper's Offline Dynasty

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by Kasper, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Yep, I figured I missed NCAA a lot (sadly not enough to join an online dynasty here on the site- I don't want to "force" myself to play it) so I went ahead and started an offline dynasty. I plan on trying to get my readers involved in the dynasty by letting them sort of make decisions at certain points (change QB's etc). I will be using coach mode, so I can't really cheese my way to wins without yall knowing. Anyways, I will start by giving you a run down of the first season as I simulated it to get some recruits on campus-- little did I know a little more than that would happen.

I started off my career at FIU as a defensive coordinator- they are in a fairly "easy" conference and start out in a fairly good position to start taking control of the conference and build a good program (I think the defense was 80 overall). I am trying the 3-4, and will run the Georgia (Pro style) playbook if I ever get to call the offense as well. We finished the season 10-2 I believe with a win over Houston in the New Orleans bowl I think it was- a great finish to a good campaign. Our junior running back set a school record in rushing yards (around 1800 I think) and the sophomore QB set a school record with 16 touchdowns (lol?) -- our offense was constantly putting up 35+ all year, especially in conference play.

First step of the offseason comes around, and our HC for whatever reason bolts for FAU -- for the sake of a story, I will go with the AD pissed him off so bad he quit and went over to the rival school. This would make for a great upcoming rivalry, except for the fact that after this season - through conference realignment (I am using this to move teams around) - we (FIU) are now in the new CUSA setup and FAU will stay in the Sun Belt. This is too bad, but it will make for a brand new adventure for our kids moving into a new (and arguably better) conference.

Other offseason notes:

• Our senior WR Wayne Times went in the 4th round of the NFL draft, congrats!
    • We had a very good recruiting class in my first year, I will post a roster later so you can see.
    • We received two transfers: a DT from Miami and one from Arkansas. It will be interesting to see if one of these kids can land that NT spot in my 3-4 after they sit out this year.
    • Oh yeah, I am now head coach!
    • Other team movements are listed in that link above ^
    • Note: I had to move Army and Navy into the WAC to pull everyone out that I needed.... oh well.
    A few notes about how things will work in my dynasty:
    • I will only redshirt freshman - no redshirting seniors so they can start next year. Maybe I will throw in a wrinkle where a senior gets hurt preseason and has a medical redshirt or something.
    • If a guy is in the two deep he won't redshirt -- I.e. I won't have 2 offensive lineman backup the whole offensive line.
    • 8 Minutes quarters
    • I will have a google doc embedded to keep track of my depth chart, schedule, recruits and whatever else you guys want to see.
    • I will adjust difficulty as needed. I think I started with AA recruiting and gameplay. I think recruiting will get bumped to Heisman though.
    • I have sliders in effect to make it harder/more realistic.. for example I think QB accuracy is 10.
    • I will note anything else as it comes up-- feel free to ask any questions about the dynasty or what's going on. "Who is in the top 5?" "Who is leading the Heisman?"
    • I will try to keep the stats up to date every 3 weeks or so.
    Enjoy! Hope this caught you up after my first season!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  2. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

If the media is too big, here is the link to view (I think)

I set it up this way to be more mobile friendly - if you think I should take away the spoiler part let me know.

3. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

2013 Florida International Football Preview

The 2013 Florida International football team is coming off an impressive 10-2 showing and an exciting win over Houston in the New Orleans Bowl. The story coming into the story, however, has to be 2nd year man and former defensive coordinator Tyler Kasperson taking over the head coaching duties after an offseason argument between former HC Mario Cristobal and FIU athletic director Pete Garcia. Cristobal bolted for rival Florida Atlantic in a surprising move, replacing Carl Pelini after he was fired for poor performance. Regardless, in steps "Coach Kasper" to take over a team with a lot of momentum and looking to possibly make a BCS appearance. To make things even more interesting, FIU is now a member of Conference USA - can FIU make the smooth transition, or will the new (and more difficult) competition prove too tough?

QB

Word out of camp is that redshirt freshman EJ Hilliard had a great summer and will be the day one starter for the Panthers. He replaces redshirt junior Jake Medlock, who finished with a 49% completion percentage last year to go along with his 16 TD's and 6 INT's. Coaches stated that Hilliard will bring more explosiveness to the team with his athleticism, and noted as long as he takes care of the ball the offense will be "fine." Hilliard is certainly a question mark for FIU, but there is a lot of potential for some great quarterback play in Kasperson's pro style attack and he will certainly get chances to show off his running ability.

HB

Kedrick Rhodes Jr is the highlight of the offense this year. The fifth year senior carried the ball for 1,814 yards, 18 TDs, and a fantastic 6.3 average last year. He also showed off his ability to make plays in the passing game, snagging 30 balls for 412 yards and 6 TDs. "KJR" is creeping his way onto many NFL scout's radars (think former North Texas great Lance Dunbar). Behind Rhodes, senior Daquan Hargrett is more than capable as well coming off of a 582 yard, 10 TD season as well. FIU had a two headed monster last year, but how will they fair against the new competition?

WR

Someone needs to step up to replace former wideout Wayne Times - don't look now, but it might just be a freshman. Mike Perry (6'5 215) is an absolute monster that coaches have been raving about since he got onto campus. He has ample speed to take plays to the house, and is a good route runner for his age. He and RS JR James Louis will be the starters, and Louis had merely 8 catches for 106 yards and a TD last year -- the most of any current FIU WR. This is a young, inexperienced group; you have to wonder if they can gel fast enough to help first year QB EJ Hilliard.

TE

The most stable receiver position on offense, RS SO Ya'Keem Griner is coming off a 26 catch, 416 yard, 4 TD season last year. Griner was a reliable target last year and should continue to be there for Hilliard.

OL

This year's offensive line is a mix of seniority and youth. Returning starters are: senior LT David Delson, senior C Donald Senat, senior RG Delmar Taylor. New faces appear at LG in RS JR Jordan White and true freshman RT Mario Hopkins. If Hopkins can pick things up quickly, this unit should produce another 2000 rushing yard season.

DL

6'9 senior behemoth Paul Crawford returns at defensive end, along with senior RE Greg Hickman and senior NT Isame Faciane. This should be a fairly salty unit, and will do their job of eating space and making the occasional play just like they did last year. The three combined for 9.5 sacks last season, with Crawford leading with 4.5, Hickman with 3.5, and Faciane with 1.5 (pretty good for a 3-4 defensive line).

OLB's

FIU will need great play out of RS SO LOLB Luis Rosado and RS JR ROLB Caleb Vincent if they are to make a run this year. Vincent had 17 tackles, 6 TFL, and 2 sacks last year - Rosado is new to the starting spot. They will need to stay healthy as well, as FIU is thin at LB this year; three freshman round out the OLB core. They are promising youngsters, but probably not ready for starting responsibilities yet.

MLB's

More youth! RS FR Patrick Jean and true freshman Dennis Clay are the starters here. Neither have started a game in their career (hell let alone played) so this should be a very interesting position to watch. Clay was a four star recruit, so the pedigree is there for the youngster. Jean was a former Louisville commit before switching at the last minute to FIU. There is a lot of talent here, will they live up to expecations?

CB's

The Panther's have a great tandem of senior corners with Sam Miller and Jose Cheeseborough - though both are 5'9, they are a feisty group. They only had 4 picks between them, but they did a fairly good job last year and are only going to get better. Watch out for true freshman Terrance McPherson to make a splash as well at this spot - nickel corner and junior Richard Leonard should also be fun to watch.

S's

FIU, arguably, has a pair of NFL safeties in their backfield this year, which should help this unit be one of the best in the conference. Seniors Terrance Taylor (SS) and Justin Halley (FS) were both free safeties last year before Taylor made the move to strong safety - coaches figured they needed to get more talent and a veteran presence to an otherwise young SS group. Senior Cain Elliott is a solid backup and should play well when needed. RS FR Jamie Willis and Davison Colimon are promising youngsters at the SS spot - and there is a plethora of young talent behind those two as Coach Kasper brought in a good crop this year. Look for them to make an impact down the road.

K and P

True freshman Marcus Baker will handle both duties, and should do fine. He was the #4 punter in last year's class, and the fact that he would get to handle both duties really drew him to FIU. It should be fun to watch him kick the ball around for four years (lol).

That does it for your 2013 preview. We didn't want to drag this out too much, so take a look at the Google Doc if you want to see the schedule and a more in depth look at the depth chart!

4. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

For what it's worth, here is some around the nation preseason stuff:

Top 10:
    1. South Carolina
    2. USC
    3. Michigan
    4. Texas
    5. Michigan State
    6. Wisconsin
    7. Oklahoma
    8. Kansas State
    9. Oregon
    10. Arkansas

Heisman watch:
    Deanthony Thomas (won it last year, 1,708 yards, 17 TDs on the ground)
    Kedrick Rhodes Jr (My running back!?)
    Marcus Lattimore
    Kenny Hilliard - RB LSU
    Giovani Bernard

FIU is predicted to win the CUSA West

It would appear Kansas State won the title last year as well.

There ya go! Gametime!

5. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

[​IMG] 42

[​IMG] 7

Florida International Rolls Over UMASS In Opener 42-7
    It was over when...
    EJ Hilliard connected with freshman WR Mike Perry for a ridiculous 75 yard score early in the 2nd quarter to go up 21-0.

Gameball goes to...
    The offensive line - the big uglies helped both Kedrick Rhodes Jr and third stringer Jakhari Gore run for 100 yards a piece (Gore in "mop up duty" with the second string offensive line).

Stat of the game...
    5 - interceptions by the FIU defense today.

Play of the game:
    75 yard catch and run by freshman WR Mike Perry.

Coaches Notes:
    EJ Hilliard looked great- against not so good competition.
    Same for the defense- week 3 after the bye against UAB should tell a slightly more true story about our team.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

7. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

Do you watch the game, or sim it?

8. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I coach it-- call plays, CPU runs them. I've played so much NCAA that I find this a little more fun right now. Really adds to the strategic feel of the game for me.

9. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

Right, but do you watch the plays unfold live? Or simply shown the play result.

10. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Yes I view the whole game live.

11. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

[​IMG] 24

[​IMG] 10

FIU Starts Fast Against UAB, Wins 24-10

It was over when...
    Defensive tackle Giovani Francois sacked UAB QB Jonathan Perry for a twelve yard loss to force a 4th and a mile late in the fourth quarter. UAB would fail on the conversion attempt and FIU would run the clock out.

Gameball goes to...
    RS JR QB Jake Medlock. Medlock stepped up big time when EJ Hilliard went down with an injury. Jake finished 7-10 for 106 yards and two scores with 0 INTs.

Stat of the game...
    22% - UAB's 3rd down conversion percentage.

Play of the game...
    For the second straight game, freshman WR Mike Perry made a great play- this time with a 24 yard diving TD catch.

Coaches Notes
    • As mentioned, Medlock played well when he was called upon. It's nice knowing we have an experienced, quality backup behind the young Hilliard.
    • I bumped the difficulty up to Heisman for both recruiting and games this week.
    • According to team doctors, Hilliard should be fine for practice this week and next weeks game.
    • Slow start on the recruiting trail (I forgot to do preseason scouting... lol)

12. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

[​IMG] 19

[​IMG] 14

Freshman Mike Perry Strikes Again, Saves Florida International In Final Quarter

It was over when...
    Freshman WR Mike Perry caught a 79 yard touchdown with :25 seconds left to give FIU a five point lead late in the game.

Gameball goes to...
    RS FR QB EJ Hilliard - he had a gritty performance going 20-30 for 315 yards, 2 TDs, and 0 INTs. A 75 yard touchdown before half and the 79 yard strike to Perry were as clutch a play as you can ask for.

Stat of the game...
    9% - Marshall's third down conversion percentage on the day; an ugly 1-11.

Play of the game...
    What is an FIU game without a Mike Perry catch?

Coaches Notes
    • I don't know what else to say about Perry... ( CoachRedd he is that 4 star athlete I was telling you about the other night)
    • Marshall played some great rush defense today - starting RB Rhodes will miss next weeks game with a strained back, hopefully only a one week deal.
    • TE Ya'Keem Griner came out of his shell this week; had a huge 38 yard catch late in the game. True freshman TE Ben Jordan is playing well for a 58 overall.
    • 6'9 senior DE Paul Crawford is having a hay day this season - he has 5 sacks already. Could be sneaking up NFL draft boards.

13. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

[​IMG] 28

[​IMG] 31

Panthers Suffer First Loss In Overtime Against Pirates

It was over when...
    True freshman kicker Marcus Baker clanked a 33 yard attempt off the uprights in OT, falling short of double OT.

Game ball goes to...
    Mike Perry - the freshman continued to dominate, catching 6 passes for 147 yards and a TD in this one.

Stat of the game...
    6 - EJ Hilliard threw a crucial pick six that gave ECU a 28-21 late in the fourth quarter. Who knows what happens if that doesn't happen, but it didn't help.

Play of the game...
    ECU WR Lance Ray made this phenomenal diving catch on a big chunk play for the Pirates.

Coaches Notes
    • We need to start finding ways to run the ball in conference play - against Marshall and ECU we were held under 100 team rushing yards. That shouldn't happen with a 91 overall RB.
    • We might start trying to get Perry 10 catches a game at the rate he is going.
    • Defense is playing well for the most part- OLB's need to start getting more pressure off the edge though.
    • Another great performance by EJ Hilliard. I wasn't sure what the freshman would do after that pick six, but he responded well.

14. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

[​IMG] 31

[​IMG] 24

FIU Scores 31 Straight To Pull Out Win - 21 In The Fourth Quarter

It was over when...
    RB Daquan Hargrett hauled in a 5 yard score from EJ Hilliard to go up 31-24 with 32 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

Gameball goes to...
    SR WR Willis Wright - the Florida native came to the rescue today, hauling in a big time 3rd down catch and taking it to the house. His score with 2:30 left in the fourth quarter tied the game up and sparked the crowd and defense on the ensuing drive.

Stat of the game...
    10 - ten turnovers and a bunch of big plays made this game a dandy. 6 touchdowns were from 40 yards or more out, 4 of them over 70 yards.

Play of the game...
    Wright's catch and run was a beauty.

Coach's Notes
    • What a comeback... wow.
    • Mike Perry is on pace to shatter the FIU record books; 24 TD's is the career record, and 7 in a season by T.Y. Hilton, and the record for yardage is 1,038 in a season and 3,531 in a career (Hilton as well). Through this game Perry has 573 yards and 5 TDs. Will he make a run at national records?
    • Starting to find ways to get our two talented senior running backs on the field at the same time and get them into space. Evident by the last score of the game (5 yard catch and juke by Hargrett).
    • Still need to run the ball better - potential slider tweak coming here as CPU seems to have a blitz everytime I call a run.
    • Except for the big plays, the defense played well. 0 points in the second half after how we struggled early was impressive.
    • Big time match up next week with Teddy Bridgewater and Louisville.
    • Should be noted, entering week 7 we got our first committment: 2 star JUCO CB Blake Pace out of Key Largo, FL. He is rated at a 65. Has good mix of man and zone coverage (79) and should be a solid corner once he gets some offseason training in with us. He will likely play nickel corner next year, as current true freshman Terrance McPherson will likely start with Brian Leonard.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  15. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

[​IMG] 31

[​IMG] 7

Turnovers Boost FIU Past Louisville In Impressive Road Win

It was over when...
    Senior free safety Justin Halley took a pick six 70 yards to the house with a minute and a half left before halftime to put FIU up 21-7.

Game ball goes to...
    Justin Halley - the senior had 2 picks (one for a TD), 6 tackles, and a pass deflection.

Stat of the game...
    3 - Teddy Bridgewater threw three picks in the second quarter; two of them were pick sixes.

Play of the game...
    Halley's big time pick six late in the 2nd quarter was a huge momentum boost going into halftime.

Coach's Notes
    • We had a great gameplan for Teddy today; get them into 3rd and 7+, put in a QB spy somewhere, and make him find the open man---- he didn't fair to well!
    • Halley has been a quite leader all season for us, so seeing him have this explosive game was great.
    • 62 rushing yards on 22 attempts from Hargrett and Rhodes-- not bad, but a few more touches and I think they could have broken one.
    • Perry didn't have a catch.... whoops. Can't complain though- he will have his games.