Keep it sim

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jvigorous1, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Jvigorous1

Jvigorous1 Hokie

Keep it sim

Updated league rule 8 about play selection/routes/mixing it up. I also updated the rule on Gameplan feature Please read.

What you should do is...
    1.) Reread rules before playing user game (seriously). (I did this until I successfully finished my 4th user game.)
    2.)If you have a problem with someone's gameplay pause the game and PSN msg him about the situation.
    2.) If he fails to adjust accordingly message commissioner and he'll do his best to make sure that everyone can have the most sim experience possible.

Remember we play sim football here. We're mainly here to enjoy this game in its proper context. We can't win them all so take a loss like a man when the time comes.

2. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

I know this sounds a bit too extreme but you should have the rules by you in case the opponent you are playing isn't familiar with them.

3. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

i just wanted to add this... but if you have a situation where your opponent is doing something you dont seem is correct. PROVIDE VIDEO EVIDENCE. This is paramount for the commish to act on. As a commish, users cannot expect them to go around on everyones good word(as much as we would like to) it just doesn't look good for the commish or the user that is complaining. By saving a highlight of the problem you are:

providing proof

an educational tool for the commish to help with the user understand what he is doing is not acceptable in these parts.

making it possible for the commish to act on the action.

just my two cents.

4. Jvigorous1

Jvigorous1 Hokie

Features Ok to Use!
    • Some Aggressive Game Planning
    • Conservative Game Planning
    • Chew Clock (in the last 2 minutes of 2nd and 4th quarters)

Features NOT OK to Use!
    • Run Commit/ Pass Commit
    • Aggressive Game Planning for Defensive Jump Snap, Stripping, and Big Hit.
    • Base 3-3-5 defense (You can choose plays from this, but it cannot be your base for every play)

Other Random Thoughts
    Keep up the good work on the Game Summaries. Save Highlights on any issue with an opponent and then bring it to my attention like T2 stated in previous post..

5. Maximus21

Maximus21 BCS Chaos - Syracuse

I would like to ask if the 3-3-5 defense is referring to having a 3rd corner or 2 strong safeties? I was using a 3rd corner vs. Missouri because when he would be in 3 WR sets, but only in that circumstance.

6. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

I'm pretty sure that it is in reference to a base 3-3-5 D as your playbook. The more and more I play against it the more and more I realize that it is just not sim. It allows you to get pressure and stop the run with the zone blitz while still defending the pass. The other thing that bothers me about it is that with 8 in the box the deep ball rarely works against it. I have abandoned it and I'm glad we won't be using it in this league. Same goes for the 4-2-5 by the way.

Maximus...playing 3 corners is fine. Even playing some out of the 3-3-5 nickel is fine.

7. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I use 3-3-5 against 3wide sets 80% of the time. IMO it doesn't give the defense an advantage, mainly because their are still 3 linebackers on the field. But hey it's fine with me.

My only issue are slant routes. Everyone knows zone doesn't work as it should and that the slant route can be exploited almost everytime against man coverage. IMO the route is fine if gameplanning is used, but when it's disallowed it's an easy completion everytime.

One more thing, I know it goes against TF policy but I think the commisioners of the different leagues should discuss the use of Run Commit on the goal line or other short yardage situations (2 yards or less). I say this because if the offensive player instructs his Oline to block aggressively, the offense wins everytime if they run straight up the gut, especially if their in a goal line set. I'd like a fighting chance stopping it at least.

Just my 2 cents

8. BG

BG On The Rize!

For the record Maximus, I did not complain about you using the 3-3-5 set. I just remember what the thread said and pointed it out. I'm alright with whatever you choose to run, just was trying to let you know that I thought it wasn't allowed for future purposes!!! Good Game, anyway!!!

9. Maximus21

Maximus21 BCS Chaos - Syracuse

No problem man, I just wanted to make sure I was playing within the rules.

10. SF Mountie

SF Mountie Guest

I just want to confirm that the 4-2-5 is legal. This thread mainly references the 3-3-5, but again just want to confirm.

11. Jvigorous1

Jvigorous1 Hokie

Yea it's allowed just but with everything else don't abuse it by using it too often in user games.

12. SF Mountie

SF Mountie Guest

Now I'm really confused. I can use the 4-2-5 in CPU games, but not user games? Plus, I'm not sure what you mean by not using it often. I use the 4-2-5 as my base offense probably 2/3 of the time. I might switch to the 4-4 in certain situations and the 3-2-6 dime in for sure passing situations. I'm not sure what is wrong w/ that. TCU, Va Tech, WVU and others use this defense in real life.

I just want to make sure I don't have to overhaul my entire defense while also adhering to the rules here. I played Mr2Bits the 1st game and there some were issues, but he didn't bring up my base defense.

13. Jvigorous1

Jvigorous1 Hokie

The 4-2-5 is allowed for user games but don't use it more than you should. Mix it up don't use it every play.

But if I was watching a football game on TV and if you're doing what that team does than that's fine. For example Navy and Georgia Tech run 90% of the time with the triple option. If a user runs the triple option 90% of the time in a user game while using these teams (of navy and GT) that's sim and allowed.

If you're Houston and pass 80% of the time in Shotgun, that is sim as well.

If Va Tech passes 90% that's not sim. Va Tech has a 4-3 base defense not 4-2-5 and wouldn't be sim if I ran it 90% of the time.

14. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

yeah...with 3-3-5 / 4-2-5 it is really too easy to blitz to stop the run while still playing zone. I am personally not a fan and would say use it only if that team does. I guess we can roll with it for now and see how it goes. Mountie you played a good game against me and I didn't think it was cheesy. I could have made better plays and won it.

15. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

What season are we allowed to leave our mark? Meaning when can we start implementing our own styles of play? Or do we have to keep it at their default style of play?

16. Jvigorous1

Jvigorous1 Hokie

After the 2nd season before anyone implements anything as far as new style of play for their team. Usually a team sticks with their style and just tries to execute it to perfection. If someone wants to start a new stlye of play with their team after the 2nd season let everyone know by posting what new style you'll be using.

17. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Ok that's cool.

18. SF Mountie

SF Mountie Guest

I'm sure I don't follow Va Tech as much as you, but I do follow them quite a bit. Here is an article explaining how they've morphed from a 4-4 into more of a 4-2-5: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...the-Hokie-D-becomes-deadlier?urn=ncaaf,178348. TCU also runs, somewhat invented the 4-2-5, and both TCU and Va Tech have consistent Top 5 defenses. I also like the fact they allow for different looks, which make it hard to gameplan for...nothing to do w/ AI issues. I see Mr2Bits also said below that my defense seemed realistic during the game. Again, I do mix up 4-4, nickel, and dime given the down and distance.

WVU actually runs a 3-3-5 stack, which I can't stand. So, I decided to go w/ the 4-2-5, since I'd prefer to have 4 down lineman and I still want to use 3 safeties. It was a realistic decision I made, not based on exploiting the AI, in order to stay close to what WVU does and "improve" it as if I were the coach.

I certainly don't mean to be argumentative...that isn't my point. I simply want to explain why I'm using it to eliminate any cheesing issues, and also be allowed to continue to use it so I don't have to completely change my style.

19. Jvigorous1

Jvigorous1 Hokie

Nice article there. Va Tech has Cody Grimm in the Rover position which is a hybrid OLB. EA placed him as OLB in the game so a 4-3 base scheme is what's the Hokie's use in the game.

Like I said earlier I don't have any problems with you using the 4-2-5 just mix it up every so often.

20. SF Mountie

SF Mountie Guest

Cool...thanks. If anyone does have problems w/ it, because again I'm still getting used to the rules here, please let me know.

Also, great idea for Va Tech to lock up Buuuuud for a few more years. He's highly sought after. I know he would've been my first choice, once Rodriguez turned tail, but unfortunately our administration got all hopped up on moonshine and ink fumes from the winning Fiesta bowl t-shirts and decided to hire Bill Stewart in the middle of the night. He's doing alright, but Buddy is a beast.