Keep Pushing- The Story of Jorge Lozano

Discussion in 'Team News' started by PAgamer07, Aug 11, 2013.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Rocky Mountain Times

June 6, 2021

(Denver, CO): With the 7th pick in the 2021 Major League Baseball Amateur Draft, the Colorado Rockies have selected SS Jorge Lozano. The right hand hitting, 22 year old Lozano hails from Warren, Michigan and is 6' and 170 pounds. Lozano joins the organization as one of the organization's top ranked prospects and will immediately begin his career with the Single A Modesto Nuts.

Scouts rate him as an excellent defensive Short Stop with huge home run power. With this selection, Lozano joins Don McMillan as the second power hitting middle infielder.

"We really wanted pitching," Said GM Tim Firks."But the best pitchers were already gone at this point, and we like the value that Lozano brings us."

• Like Like x 2
  2. PAgamer07

Johnny "Aces" Stilson- Scout notes on Lozano

"Saw the kid play twice and I was very impressed. The ball jumps off his bat, and he is a natural fielder. Would say he is a natural short stop, but coaches say he can even play the outfield. Looks like the leader in the clubhouse. Saw him jump all over 1B Steve Jordan for not hustling on a ground out. Looks to try to clear the fences with every hit. Needs to learn a bit more plate discipline."

• Like Like x 3
  3. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

4. PAgamer07

Trying to figure out how to go with this. The player obviously has a history before he was drafted, and history since the draft. Also a nice story line with McMillan possibly blocking him.

Got a lot of ideas spinning in my head. I think it will be fun to follow this kid. We shall see :)

5. PAgamer07

Lozano's first few weeks in the minors were anything but sensational. He had always wanted to see California, and although Modesto was a beautiful city, minor league life was anything but. As he felt he was a natural leader, he did not let the enormous $2 million signing bonus get to his head.

"My buddy Calvin said not to worry too much about it, but I can't help it." Jorge said to his mom in a recent email. "Luis made me realize how lucky I am with my talent. He be pushin' 30 and still trying to make it to the show. It's tough Ma'."

On the field, you could tell he was conflicted. His minor league career started off very slowly as he scuffled his way to a sub .200 batting average with only 2 doubles his first two weeks in Modesto. He would try to "keep pooshin''" as Coach Frederico had always told him back at college. Finally, on July 10th, he would hit his first HR of his minor league career. After that, he would finish the 2021 season with a solid .263 batting average. He would struggle to find his power that first year, as he slugged only .396.

Hard to believe this was the same guy who destroyed pitching in College....

• Like Like x 1