Keller's Kolumn - Season 6 in Review

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by Keller, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Pac 12 North
    [​IMG]Record 10-2 - Rank: BCS #12 - Projected record - 10-2 - This team played as expected. A couple trip up games but played in the CC game against a Utah team they beat earlier in the season and lost. The real question is where they end up come Bowl week, maybe they can sneak into an at large bid?

Looking at Oregon State's recruiting class, I can see where the emphasis is at this seasons - the trenches. They've added two top 20 guards, 6 offensive lineman in total while adding another two defensive lineman. Its not a flashy class but in what many consider to be a sparse recruiting pool anyway, its certainly a good step for the Oregon State program. Long term prospects? OSU is in fantastic shape. They have about 13 seniors leaving but by my count have 16 true freshman rated 74 or better. Once those youngsters start to hit the front lines, watch out for Oregon State.

[​IMG]Record: 8-4 - Rank: BCS #20 - Projected record 8-4 - 2 for 2 on projections so far. Lets see who they get in the bowl game - without a chance at a BCS bowl it may not be all that compelling - Penn State and Auburn are right around the same rank in the polls and would be the most interesting. Winning the bowl game would make their season a success IMO, 9-4 sounds a lot better than 8-5. Long term prospects?

[​IMG]Record: 7-5 - Unranked - Projected record 7-6 - I'll call this a win because for some reason I added a game for them. They played as expected but you have to tip your cap to Timpe who after a rough start, rattled off 5 straight wins including games over Colorado, USC and Oregon. Stanford kind of beat who they weren't supposed to at times and lost games they were supposed to win. Can they grab a bowl game? We'll see - they should be bowl eligible.

Looking at Stanford's recruiting class I see almost nothing to get excited about - a lot like many of the recruiting classes this season. I see raw players, I see role players - I don't see any standouts. HB Marques Hood appears to be the lone bright spot with an opportunity to contribute early in his career. Stanford needs to build some pipelines because it is ultra competitive out in California.

Pac 12 South
    [​IMG]Record: 8-4 - Rank: Unranked - Projected record 10-2 - Actual record 8-4 - This team tripped up in the tough PAC12 schedule and now they need to regroup in order to keep pace with the surging Utes. Like Cal I think the success of their season largely hinges on who they draw in the Bowls and if they win.

WR Joe Jenkins headline ASU's recruiting class thus far and though he is undersized it doesn't appear to be an issue with coach Stringer. "We are bringing in Joe and we expect him to contribute early on whether it be as a Freshman or Sophomore, at WR or on special teams. We'll find a way to get him involved." Coupled with top OT recruit Marquis Walker, ASU is starting to put together a nice class. A name to remember - Juco Sophomore DE Kurt Flanagan. DE's are ultra productive at ASU and we expect no different from Flanagan.

[​IMG]Record: 10-2 - Rank: BCS #11 - Projected record 8-4 - I did say in my projection that if anything this team would surprise and sure enough they did. They ended up winning the south and beat a good Oregon State team in the CC game that they lost to earlier in the season. Lets see who they'll play in the Rose Bowl but this season was huge for the Utes.

For recruiting - there's been nothing flashy about the Utes recruiting class. A few role players here or there save for the exceptionally speedy WR Nick Crooks - a good steal from the state of Illinois - and DE David King. Any team that puts speed at WR, I like - it opens up offenses because defenses have to key on stopping a legitimate deep threat. Crooks may not be ready next season but give him a season or two and he'll be averaging 25+ypc in the PAC12 and that you cannot undervalue. Maybe more importantly, the Utes appear to have built a pipeline in Texas. Long term prospects? Two thumbs up. With a successful season under their belt, we should start to see the Utes really begin to gain traction in the PAC12. Arizona State needs to get moving in order to keep pace, otherwise we may see this division controlled by Utah for quite some time.

[​IMG]Record: 2-10 - Rank: Unranked - Projected record 6-6 - Ouch. Colorado to CUSA? This team got beat up all year but to their credit they lost some tight games that make things seem worse than they are. Make no mistake about it - this is a big time rebuilding project - but to say that this team played where it was expected to is an oversight. They underachieved. Maybe those harsh words will motivate them. Long term prospects?

B1G Leaders

[​IMG]Record: 11-1 Rank: BCS #1 - Projection Unavailable - Actual record - 11-1 - The success of this team lies with the CC game against Iowa - a team they dismantled a few short weeks ago when the Hawkeyes were without their coach. I expect nothing short of a dogfight - the team that makes the most plays wins. With a CC under their belt, they will head to a second straight National Championship. If they lose - nothing they do in the bowls will make the season a success.

Long term prospects are not good for the Buckeyes. They are losing 15 seniors, 10 of which are starters including the starting QB and likely even more talent will leave early. The Buckeyes were primed for a run this season, not next. Recruiting wise, nothing outside of MLB Adam Bryant is particularly impressive, certainly not up to the caliber of the Buckeyes last recruiting class. QB Jeremy Johnson will be expected to play at some point and the Buckeyes have failed to fill their number 1 need this offseason - RB. I think its safe to assume that Illinois will be ready for payback next season and the Buckeyes may not have enough firepower to do anything about it.

[​IMG]Record: 11-1 Rank: BCS #4 - Projected record - 10-2 - Their only loss was against the current #1 team in the nation - I'd say this season has been a huge success for the Illini. Listen to this scenario - Ohio State loses to Iowa in the B1G championship - Florida loses in the SEC Championship - Either Iowa or Illinois would be primed for a NC birth against Notre Dame, assuming the Buckeyes would fall below them (and I think they would.) Long term prospects?

[​IMG]Record: 2-10 - Rank: Unranked - Projected record - 6-6 - Maybe we should send Indiana to the MAC and bring up Buffalo? This team was not ready for B1G league play - waiting until week 8 to notch their first win. I expect this team to really turn things around, especially after reading this column but much like Colorado, this team underachieved - regardless of the low expectations. Long term prospects?

B1G Legends

[​IMG]Record: 2-10 - Rank: Unranked - Projected Record - 6-6 - I don't know if I can find anything nice to say about such a terrible team. I can't even speak their name - they are just putrid. Between the team talent being down and a coach that has had to take various times away from the team due to unforeseen circumstances, I don't know if there is an answer. This team is in big trouble - big time. I hear they are already putting out the feelers to see which coaches may be available. I hear Jerry Sandusky is. Long term prospects?
    [​IMG]Record: 11-1 - Rank: BCS #5 - Projected Record - 10-2 - Their only loss came against the #1 team in the country as well - the good news is they will get a rematch in the CC game. Should they win, they have an outside shot at a National Championship birth. A loss knocks them down a peg but they may still play in a BCS Bowl. Overall, a largely successful season as Michigan has clearly bowed out as a legitimate B1G team, leaving Iowa as a likely benefactor. Long term prospects?

[​IMG]Record: 6-6 - Rank: Unranked - Projected Record -6-6 - Another win in the projection column, not bad. I think this team has largely surprised, despite living up to my expectations which I believe may have been higher than others. I'm not sure whether or not they're bowl eligible, but they're on the cusp. I like the direction this team is headed, regardless of who they've brought in talent wise. Long term prospects?

• Like Like x 3
  2. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

Good stuff man.

3. Keller

Updated.

4. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Yeah my first two recruiting classes were amazing. Those guys will be JR, SO and FR(RS) next season. The injection of talent will be welcome.

5. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

My recruiting class wasn't very good at all. I ended up with my 2nd or 3rd targets at most positions. Hopefully I moved up to a 4 star for next season to help compete with all of these guys out in Cali.

6. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Hopefully I'll be a 5star program again so I can haul in a class like I did last year.

7. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I really hope UCLA dropped a star too. They kicked my ass more than any user.

8. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I want to just hold onto my 4 and I think I will. I am pretty sure 9-4 with a bowl win will let me maintain

9. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

I'm a 3 right now, don't know how much I will jump.

10. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

You should be good, though its damn unpredictable. I went 9-4 with Eastern Michigan as a 4 star program and dropped back down to a 3 star, I had no idea why.

Im hoping to move up to a 5 star program, which is a blessing and a curse. You get looks from big time talents, but you also get big eyes, and the CPU really likes to land :5stars: talent and if you go after too many big time players you end up with way too small a class.

11. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Yeah UCLA was at the top of everyones list at the beginning of the season. Most of the crop was crap this year, though.

12. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I think* you can only go up 1 star a year, but I could be wrong

ya, I was disappointed, despite my having 4 star prestige, I wasnt on the top of many guys lists...

13. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

Penn State had a monster class this year, at least going into the offseason. They landed some really nice skill position players, same with Boise and Notre Dame.

14. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I should move up to a 2 star.

15. Keller

Fuck them and their HB stealing bullshit. Im going to skullfuck thier entire program back to the stone age.

16. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    You have serious anger issues and that's saying something come from me.

17. Keller

I really dont - but I do hate those fucking doucheknuckles