Kent State 2012

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by The Shrike, Dec 4, 2009.

1. The Shrike

The Shrike Colonel Thrillz

Kent State 2012

[​IMG]

2012 Team Goals:

1. Beat Oklahoma

2. Finish in the MAC top 3

3. Win a bowl game​

2. The Shrike

Week 1: Kent State vs. Rutgers

Kent State Opens with Win Over Rutgers

[​IMG]

Kent State opened the season in fine style, overcoming Rutgers 34-25. The Golden Flash dominated most of the game thanks to their powerful running game, but Rutgers capitalized on their opponents mistakes to keep the game close.

Game Notes:
    - I got out to an early 14-0 lead after one quarter thanks to a stout run D and a couple timely sacks.

- With a minute to play in the half, I was sitting pretty with a 21-7 lead and the ball after Tyrone Herron grabbed a pick to end a Rutgers drive deep in Kent territory. Unfortunately, QB Matt Hurdle saw his short pass to the flats slip through his HB's hands, into the hands of the Mohamed Sanu who took it in for 6.

- On my next possession, Hurdle threw an ill-advised pass and Khaseem Green made a leaping, one-handed interception. Rutgers scored on a 51-yd pass with 1 second remaining in the half.

- I buckled down in the 2nd half, ran the ball, scored 2 TDs and shutout Rutgers until they got a 61-yd fumble recovery with 1:25 in the game. I had 5 players with 20+ yards rushing.

Defensive Player of the Game: Kent St. OLB Ryan Hidalgo: 7 tackles, 4 sacks

Offensive Player of the Game: Kent St. HB Jacquise Terry: 19 carries 103 yds 1TD

3. The Shrike

Kent State 51, Maryland 7

Kent State Demolishes Maryland

[​IMG]

Kent State jumped on Maryland early and didn't let up all game long in cruising to a home win against the mighty Terps. The game was never close as the Golden Flashes dominated both sides of the ball and every facet of the game.

Game Notes:

- The defense came up big early. Maryland found themselves with a 4th and short on my side of midfield on their first possession. They elected to go for it. Unfortunately for them, freshman SS Lee Oliver sniffed out the play, and knifed into the backfield and dropped the ball carrier for a 5-yard loss.

- At the end of the first quarter, OLB Tim Webb lit up Maryland's slot receiver, who promptly coughed up the pigskin. Fellow LB Eric Mackey scooped it up and took it to the house. 14-0

- With 12 seconds left in the first half, QB Matt Hurdle found WR Garrick Piggot for a 64 yard TD . 28-7

- I got my first safety of the dynasty when my back up D-Line converged on the the QB in the endzone to close the scoring with 1:42 left in the game. 51-7

- Matt Hurdle threw 5 TDs, spread amongst 4 different players and scored a 6th on the 5 yards scramble.

Defensive Player of the Game: Kent St. LB Eric Mackey: 5 tackles, 1 TFL, FR, TD

Offensive Player of the Game: Kent St. QB Matt Hurdle: 15-22 264 yards, 6 total TD

4. The Shrike

Kent State Picks Off Ball State

[​IMG]

This one ended up being a dogfight in muddy Scheumann Stadium. The rain (lag) put a damper on both teams' creative spirit, but Kent was able to force some big turnovers and grind out just enough offense to take home the W.

Game Notes:

- I had a big play to end the first quarter. I drove into Ball State territory, but a sack followed by delay of game :)mad:) left me facing 3 and 16. Freshman WR Evan Johnson came open over the middle and Matt Hurdle hit him for a 34 yard TD.

- I was trying to grind time off the clock, up 7 in the 4th quarter and found myself facing 4th and inches in my own half. Handed it to the FB and let the hog-mollies up front go to work. Predictably, the Ball State line crashed in and took the ball carrier down immediately...but the refs gave us a favorable spot and the drive continued!

- The big story of the game was turnovers. The Kent State D intercepted Kelly Page 3 times and the Kent dodged a couple bullets but didn't turn it over.

Defensive Player of the Game: Kent St. CB Shawn Daniels: 5 tackles, INT, DEFL

Offensive Player of the Game: Kent St. QB Matt Hurdle: 14-19 236 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT