Kent State and Bowl Game?! WHAT!?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Pro, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Pro

Pro Walk On

Aug 30, 2011

Coach Lombardi immortalized these words many years ago. "What the hell is going on out here!?" You can officially change that to, "What the hell is going on at Kent State!?"

After a 3-9 season in 2011, which is common place at Kent; Coach Profio and his 2012 Flashes are now bowl eligible after drubbing the MAC East leading Ohio Bobcats, 31-6 in front of a sold out crowd at Dix Stadium.

"We were angry and upset coming off the Eastern Michigan game. We felt we had that game in the bag and had outplayed our opponent. This week, we wanted to leave no doubt." Profio said.

Kent used a dominant ground game and a stingy defense to blow out Frank Solich and his Bobcats. After Kent senior RB Dri Archer left the game, fellow senior Larry Dawson stepped up big time. He rushed for 211 yards on 30 carries, and scored 4 times. "We set out and wanted to play smash mouth football. I've given Spencer Keith way too many opportunities this season, and my faith was never rewarded." Coach said.

Keith did make plays when he needed to; he went 11-20 for 195 yards, but still had 2 ints. Luckily the Flashes defense proved why they are one of the best in the MAC. They held a good Ohio offense to just 220 total yards of offense, including 39 yards rushing on 20 carries. The Flashes also forced 4 interceptions.

"If you would of asked anyone a year ago if Kent State would be 6-6 and potentially playing in a bowl game, the answer would of been a quick and decisive no. But we preserved and climbed back from our losses and learned from our mistakes. We will now just sit back and watch, to see what the bowl committees think of the job we have done this season. These kids deserve the opportunity, the school sure as hell deserves it. I pray everyday that it comes true." Profio said after the game

Kent State has made one bowl game before, the 1972 Tangerine Bowl. A bowl selection watch party will be held at the Water Street Tavern; which is the official bar of Kent State athletics.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Goose

Goose Walk On

Jul 20, 2010
    Congrats. Hopefully you get rewarded with a bowl game.
  3. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Jul 12, 2010
    Hope you get one Pro, I know when I was 6-6 and I didnt get any love with Bowling Green. Go Flashes!