Kent State Vs UNLV: A Game For the Ages

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Pro, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Pro

Pro Walk On

When Kent State coach Andrew Profio saw that his team would be playing at UNLV in week 2, he was excited. "Oh definitely. We wanted to go on the road, play a quality opponent and see how we stacked up. UNLV gave us that opportunity." Profio said.

Well his Golden Flashes stacked up pretty well, and in an instant classic beat the Running Rebels, 24-21 at Sam Boyd Stadium. It was a battle between two very evenly matched teams, and turned into a showcase of two very good running backs.

Kent jumped out to an early 7-0 on an 8 yard touchdown run by Junior HB Trayion Durham. UNLV would respond with a 71 yard touchdown run by Sophmore sensation Terron Ward. "That was a big play for them. He is a supremely talented back, and we needed to contain him. We didn't." Profio said. Kent would answer right back however, when Robert Hollomon ran in from the 2 yard line to push the tally up to 14-7.

The Flashes went up by two scores late in the 2nd quarter, when Durham picked up his 2nd touchdown of the game on a 1 yard rush. UNLV quickly responded with a big play. Senior signal caller Caleb Herring found WR Kurt Davis for a 61 yard touchdown strike. The score at halftime, Kent 21 UNLV 14. "We were very fortunate to hold the lead at halftime." Profio added.

The defenses pitched a shut out in the 3rd quarter as neither team could get anything going on offense. The 4th quarter more than made up for the 3rd. UNLV would tie the game up with a 2 yard touchdown run by Tim Cornett with 4:56 left to go. Kent State's offense would stall and gave UNLV back the ball with a chance to win the game.

Kent State's defense finally made the big play they had been looking for, when DT Jerome Davis hit Ward in the backfield and forced a fumble, Kent State DE Mark Fackler recovered the ball at the UNLV 35 yard line. The Flashes would then pound the ball with Durham and milk the clock, driving it down the 3 yard line. UNLV's defense would make a goal line stand, and forced true Freshman Grant Cooper to kick a field goal. The nation's #1 kicking prospect a year ago would come through from 23 yards to give Kent the lead 24-21 with 1:53 remaining.

UNLV now had no timeouts and had to drive a long way to get into field goal range. Rebel coach Heath Hale made a series of questionable play calls in which he ran the ball several times on the final drive. With time ticking away Herring found TE Darren Morgan who was wide open and was running his ass off, Kent finally caught him and made the tackle at the 1 yard line with 1 second remaining. With no timeouts, UNLV called on their field goal team but could not get the ball snapped in time.

"That fourth quarter nearly gave me a heart attack. I'm proud of our kid's composure and heart to win a close game in a hostile environment. UNLV is a talented football team, and will be in the mix in C-USA. We were very fortunate to come out of here with a win."

Kent State moves to 2-0 on the young season, and will next travel to Death Valley for a clash with the LSU Tigers.

• Like Like x 3
  2. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

great game. good win pro!

UNLV left the damn ball on the one yard line at the end of the 1st and 2nd half with zero points... possibly the worst clock management by a coach in the history of college football.

doubly painful as I had to burn a timeout at the beginning of the 3rd quarter cuz i accidentally hit field goal instead of punt from like my 30.

• Like Like x 3
  3. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Done that before...big win Pro, congrats

4. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

one of my issues with this years game is that they dont put punt as the first option when its not a fg opportunity. I've done that many times.

• Like Like x 1