Kentucky Wildcats Media

Discussion in 'The Underclassmen' started by lere2001, Jul 15, 2013.

1. lere2001

lere2001 Walk On

All interviews, summaries, controversies, recruiting news, etc. Will be here.
    Feel free to comment if you'd like :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. lere2001

lere2001 Walk On

[​IMG]
    Sunday Morning Press Conference
    Coach Joshua Botelho sits down at the table, ready to field questions after his team lost 31-21 the night before.
    Botelho: Well I think that I saw some really good things out there. The defense was able to stand strong and keep a tough Washington team subdued for most of the game. Although, ball security on the offensive side will have to be worked on. Four interceptions will kill a team, no matter how solid you feel your defense is. Short fields are tough to defend.​
    Reporter: Your running game wasn't really able to find it's footing all game. Is this something that you will be looking to stress more in future matchups?​
    Botelho: I think I've made it pretty well know that this team will win most of it's games through the air. The running game is something that will gain success as we are able to stretch defenses with our passing attack.​
    Reporter: Junior QB Maxwell Smith put up what most will see as a sub-par effort due to the interceptions. It looked like he was trying to force a big play at times. How is your confidence with Maxwell and are either of your sophomore QB's ready to take the reigns if necessary?​
    Botelho: Maxwell is my guy. When you put the ball in your quarterback's hands all game and expect him to get it done through the air, there will be some turnovers. We as a team need to get better at figuring out when those risks are meant to be taken, and when we need to just check the ball down and get a couple yards. Max was able to make some really big plays out there last night that gave us a chance to win this game. The 3rd and 19 conversino from the shadow of our goalposts comes to mind. That led to a 99 yard touchdown drive to get the lead late.​
    Reporter: We saw you field a Wildcat formation out there for a few plays that had little success. Is that a wrinkle that you would like to permanently add to your playbook or was that just to change things up?​
    Botelho: I feel that the Wildcat formation is a tricky thing. It takes a lot of talent to pull off and I'm not sure if we're ready for that yet. I'll give it a few more tries in practice before deciding on anything for sure. Last question guys.
    Reporter: How was the atmosphere at Soldier Field last night?​
    Botelho: It was great. A real joy to play in that stadium. Lots of fans from both teams showed up in full support. It was one of those opening weeks that define college football. The boys were excited. Although, it will be damn nice to get back home to Commonwealth Stadium and start to defend that home turf. We'll be a tough team to play at home. Mark my words on that. Thanks guys.
    Coach Botelho stands up and walks off.​

• Like Like x 3
  3. lere2001

lere2001 Walk On

2013 Kentucky Wildcat Football Preview: Austin MacGinnis
    [​IMG]
    Austin MacGinnis, Kicker
    Fr.-HS 5-10, 175 lbs.
    Prattville, Ala.
    "One of the nation’s top three kicker prospects according to Rivals.com and 247Sports.com … Played his senior season at Prattville (Ala.) High School under Coach Chad Anderson… Handled punts, field goals and kickoffs for the Lions, making seven of 10 field goals, including a 50-yarder … 76 percent of kickoffs went for touchbacks … Named to the all-area team … Participated for the winning National team in the Offense-Defense All-America Bowl in Houston following his senior campaign … Played at Randolph County High School before moving to Prattville his senior season … Converted six of nine field goals and made all of his extra points as a junior, with 81 percent touchbacks on kickoffs … Participated in the National Underclassmen Challenge and performed well … According to ChrisSailerKicking.com, MacGinnis “is a tremendous kicker. He has a huge leg … kickoffs are Division-I ready right now. A great competitor that kicks well under pressure.” … Spent time with One-on-One Kicking."

As A Wildcat
    Austin is a 2013 commit and has yet to compete at Kentucky. If he is as good as advertised, he may have the opportunity to earn playing time as a freshman. He came to UK rated one of the top kickers in the nation, MacGinnis could give Kentucky an immediate boost.
    247Sports ranks MacGinnis as the #3 kicker in the country for 2013. Kicking analyst/instructor Chris Sailer has MacGinnis as the #4 kicker in the class and projects MacGinnis to be “a phenomenal Division 1 player.”

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  4. lere2001

lere2001 Walk On

Week 2 Q & A with Coach Botelho
    [​IMG]

Q. Could you comment on how you think fan expectations are versus realistic expectations for your team.

COACH BOTELHO: Yeah, it's really, to be honest with you, an uncomfortable situation for me because it's not my style really to try to temper those expectations. I think the educated fan knows where we're at as a program, knows we have a lot of work to do. But the flipside of that is I want the excitement. I want them there. I want them to support our players that we have on our team right now. I want them at all of our home games. We plan on going out and competing each and every week. We understand that the challenges are there. So, you know, I'm glad the fans are excited and I'm glad they're showing up in large numbers. Our season tickets are up. People are excited and anticipating a good year, because we certainly are. We're not going out there to put all this hard work in to not compete and not try to win games.

Q. Yesterday your starting Quarterback Maxwell Smith said he felt like he had to be overcautious at times running an up tempo offense. How long do you think it's going to take for your team to build that identity up and have that installed?

COACH BOTELHO: I'm sure that will be a fine balancing act. As you know, I come from a defensive background. That will be hard for me to watch when things are not going well. I'm not unrealistic enough to know that we're not going to go through some hard times and some growing pains. I hired Neal Brown to run his air raid offense. I have to support him and do that at all cost. So I have enough faith and confidence with Neal and certainly will discuss that within the game plan about how we're going to handle that tempo. Sure, there's going to be a learning curve there, as well, for us.

Q. We know about the basketball heritage at Kentucky. A lot of football coaches are reluctant at times to want to step into a job where it's a 'basketball school.' How do you plan to embrace the basketball heritage and work that to your advantage?

COACH BOTELHO: It's been great so far. Coach Calipari, he could not be any better. I really appreciate everything Coach Cal does for us. He takes time. We bring recruits in. He visits with them. He's really embracing myself and the staff. So I love it. He's so charismatic. He's been so successful. I love spending time with Coach Cal. I don't really worry about that, to be honest with you. I think there's such great support for Kentucky basketball because of what they've done. They deserve it. They've had an awful lot of success through a lot of years. But that's what we're trying to get to. If we put out a good product on the field, something the whole state's proud of, they'll show up in droves. I'm not even worried about that. It's been evident thus far with how the fans support football. So I think in Kentucky there's a rabid fan base. I'm quite sure if we do our part that there's going to be great support for football and basketball.

Q. I'm wondering with your defensive background, what is your take on the discussion about whether defenses should get mandatory time after first downs, specifically when they're against hurry ups, up tempo offenses, to substitute guys in?

COACH BOTELHO: It's very interesting for me. I come from a defensive background. Again I've had my problems with up tempo offenses, we all have had our moments of failure against the tempo offenses because it gets you in disarray. Obviously that's the advantage of it for the offenses, to not let us defenses zero in as specifically as we want to be as far as formations and all those sort of things, get on the same page in the communication. Now I will be running an up tempo offense at Kentucky with Offensive Coordinator Neal Brown. I like it from that standpoint. I see them going through it. Of course, we have a long way to go. I've watched Neal's offenses at Texas Tech, I see the way they moved the ball against some quality teams. I hope we can have the same success. Right now what I say is the rules are the way they are. I'm a first year head coach with very little clout in this league. I'm going to go about the way the rules are right now. In my opinion, I do think there needs to be, and I believe we're working towards that, some time to let us get situated and put the ball down certainly when substitutions involved.

Q. What are your thoughts on the depth of quarterback talent in the league this year?

COACH BOTELHO: Very good. Obviously good league top to bottom in all phases. Quarterback play is no different. I even believe at Kentucky we have three quality quarterbacks that are capable of winning at a high level. Now, we need to get good players all around them, as well. But the quarterback talent alone at Kentucky I feel very good about. Again, I think a lot of that depends on the talent around some of these quarterbacks. But it's going to be very hard to defend. Thanks for your questions guys.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  5. lere2001

lere2001 Walk On

[​IMG]
    Week 4 Post Game Interview With Coach Botelho
    Q. Turnovers again were a problem for your team. Thoughts?​
    Coach Botelho: We need to do a better job making good footbal decisions. Absolutely, there's no excuse anymore. 5 interceptions in one game is not going to win you football games.​
    Q. Any chance that you go to one of your sophomore quarterback for next weeks game?​
    Coach Botelho: No. Smith is going to be my guy. He's shown great leadership at times this season and I'm really a believer in what he can do. He just needs to be careful with his reads is all.​
    Q. Cameras caught you and coach Mcwoods06 arguing after the game. What was that about? Is there any bad blood there?​
    Coach Botelho: I was frustrated with some things and wanted to approach him about it. Things got a tad heated but that's football. Without that emotion there is no football. I commend him for coaching a great game and making the come back win.​
    Q. Thoughts on next week?​
    Coach Botelho: I want to see a better managed game by Smith. He needs to take care of the ball and make this offense his own. We haven't had a ton of offense all year, so I'd like to see that breakout.​

• Like Like x 1
  6. lere2001

lere2001 Walk On

Coach Botelho yells at reporter during interview
    During a casual interview after practice this week, a reporter asked a question which set new Kentucky coach Joshua Botelho off.​
    Q. After that heartbreaking loss at home, what needs to improve the most for your team to have a chance this week? You've already expressed concern about the turnovers, but certainly kicking has to be a concern as MacGinnis has not been able to hit a long field goal yet this y-​
    Coach Botelho: Hey, hold on! Hold on right there! Kicking? Are you ****ing kidding me? This is an 18 year old kid in his first year in the league and you're pinning the game on a missed 51 yard field goal? You reporters are pathetic. What about the coaching? Come after me! I'm a new coach! Pin it on me! I'm a man, I'm 40. I'm not a kid. I can take the crap you guys spew, but to put the blame on a freshman is a classless move. Get out of here! I'm done this damn interview.​
    This outburst added on to an already nightmare week for the Kentucky Wildcats.​

• Like Like x 1