Kentucky wins a big one on last second field goal, downing UGA 34-31

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Hellisan, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Kentucky wins a big one on last second field goal, downing UGA 34-31

Kentucky sat at 3-4 and looked to be headed toward 3-5 with the Georgia Bulldogs coming to town. Combine that with a couple of tough losses and opposing coaches killing the Kentucky ball coach with Vagisil resets, and it paints the picture of a team that badly needed a win.

Well, Coach Mark Richt wasn't at his best today. He went away from the running game for absolutely no reason that we can understand, and the Bulldogs lost on a last second field goal as a result.

Georgia took the ball to start the game. They punted once and forced the same from Kentucky. The next drive they just plowed through the Kentucky defensive unit on the ground, then scored on a 5-yard pass. The Bulldogs had a defensive lapse on the next play, as a safety bit down hard on a cutting receiver and Randall Cobb sprinted into the open. Morgan Newton found him from 56 yards out to tie the game.

Kentucky then took a surprising lead moments later after forcing a punt. Derrick Locke got going and helped get the team into scoring position, and Newton found Gene McCaskill from 3 yards out for a touchdown.

Georgia tied the game up on another easy fullback pass. Those have been killing us lately and it was no different in this game. "We're slow to the flats," admitted Hellisan.

Then came the play that made you think the Wildcats had a chance, a 68-yard dart right up the middle by Locke that put Kentucky up, 21-14. But Caleb King strapped his teammates on his back and dogsledded them down the field again. Only an injury later could stop him, and backup Ealy was just as good. The game was tied 21-21 at halftime on a 7-yard rush.

The total damage on the ground was 25 carries for 157 yards by king, and 28 yards by Ealy on 6 carries. It seemed worse than that, to be quite honest. The only thing they didn't do is break one.

We managed a field goal in the third quarter that gave us a small lead. Then we somehow scored again in the fourth quarter to take a 10-point advantage as Locke scored his second touchdown of the day squirming between defenders for 3 yards. All that was because Georgia tried to throw the ball.

Georgia had about 5 minutes to get the game back into their hands and they scored a touchdown at the 3:44 mark to pull to within three points. We got one first down on our possession but then had to punt as Newton was sacked to bring up 4th down. Georgia moved into position and kicked a 54-yard field goal that tied the game with 1:24 remaining.

We didn't want to go into an overtime situation, where we felt they were much more likely to get 25 yards each drive. Morgan Newton sacked up and made some big throws, combined with a sneaky draw play to Locke, getting us to the 30-yard line. We called a timeout, our second to last, with 18 seconds remaining. We decided if we could get 5 yards and center the ball that would be fantastic. I was worried about the icing which has really fucked me up in game winning situations in the past but I decided to settle for a FG attempt anyway.

Draw play to Locke, and he gets a few yards and puts it right where I want it. Called timeout with two seconds remaining. Locke, the player of the game, finished with 16 carries for 122 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Guess Juggs has the "ice the kicker" off, because they called a timeout and we had no pressure, nailing a 45-yarder by Ryan Tydlacka to win the game as time expired.

2. Ruinic

Ruinic Texas Tech Newb

funny you say that cause i did ice the kicker to someone playing a home game recently, they werent too happy, cept he still made the FG. i believe its on it just effects the kicker if he cant perform under pressure

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Oh o.k... Or maybe if your'e on the road it's more likely to occur. We were at home.

Um... just re-read your post.. lol Nevermind.

4. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Ice the kicker is on, you must just have a money kicker.

Great writeup and big win for Kentucky. Hopefully that helps some in the recruiting game for you guys.

Locke must be a beast cause I couldn't run for shit against Georgia

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Thanks Juggs.

Locke is my best player. They brought everybody up to the line on one play, and we got a hat on a hat, etc... House.

6. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

glad you can run with Locke... I can't run worth a shit in Saturdays Heroes with UK, it is probably the sliders though.

7. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Nice Win Helli!!

8. Pac12Leader

Pac12Leader Walk On

Solid win and great write up! SEC is crazy every weekend.