Kings View - Trade Value

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by BobJr, Sep 3, 2012.

1. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Hey Guys,

I found a great article about Trade Value in the NFL. I think you guys should really take a look before you all start wheeling and dealing. Trading is great, it's fun, but it CAN get out of hand in Madden leagues. Something that is an unbelievable pet peeve of mine. Nothing worse than seeing Peyton Manning being traded in year one of a league (sorry Flyin).

Here is the link for the 2 part series:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8312966/ranking-players-contracts-national-football-league

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8316940/ranking-players-contracts-national-football-league

But I wanted to post the key rules that I read in the article.

• Contracts matter. Larry Fitzgerald is a better receiver than Jordy Nelson, but Fitzgerald's in the second year of a contract that will guarantee him about $50 million, while the Packers have Nelson locked up to a four-year deal that guarantees him only $5 million.
    • Age matters. Justin Smith might have been the most valuable defensive player in football last season, but he turns 33 in September. Jason Pierre-Paul's nowhere near as complete of a player, but when he turns 33, your third-grader will be heading off to college.
    • Positional scarcity matters. Quarterbacks are more valuable than pass rushers, who are more valuable than wide receivers, who are more valuable than interior linemen. When in doubt, we looked at how organizations valued top players at each position when re-signing their own or shopping in free agency.
    • It's a question of degree. The Chargers might not deal Philip Rivers for Cam Newton, but they'd have to give the possibility of acquiring a younger, cheaper, healthier guy some thought. The Panthers would never deal Newton for Rivers.

Now some of this pertains to a top 50 list that these two guys put together, but I think the above four should always be considered in any deal. We don't want to handicap people, but we don't want people trading for the sake of trading.

and Yes. I am looking at you DerekC and soxandgators (JK)

• Like Like x 8
  2. DC

DC Shake n Bake

In my defense, I knew that trade wouldn't work ask soxandgators. I got the deal I wanted. Sometimes you have to show the other guy that a trade can't happen for him to renegotiate :)

3. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

I think you need to also take into consideration a team's chances to win a super bowl. I don't think a team like the Rams trading for a first round pick for a big time DE doesn't make sense because its not like Im one piece away from winning a Super Bowl. Now a team like the Saints trading for a one big defensive piece makes sense, because they don't need to build for the future, while others teams do.

Just my two cents.

4. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

I love Grantland

5. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Read It