Lady Luck, Line Lead to Upset

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by joshwitt, Aug 13, 2011.

1. joshwitt

joshwitt Walk On

AP (Fayetteville, AR) The Tennessee Volunteers needed a little bit of lady luck and a lot of strong defensive line play to pull a monster upset in Arksans this weekend. The #2 Razorbacks came into the game heavily favored over the #22 Volunteers. In the end, defensive and special teams proved to be the difference as the Vols pulled the upset 13-10.

The Razorbacks held Tennessee on their opening drive when Michael Palardy missed a 52 yard field goal. The Hogs offense then marched down field and had the ball 1st and Goal at the 1. Tennessee's defensive line, talked about in the off-season as the glaring weakness on this team, answered the challenge, holding the Hogs to a field goal.

Tennessee's Michael Palardy then kicked a 26 yard field goal to tie the game 3-3 at the half.

In the third quarter, Arkansas' Wide Receiver Joe Adams scored on a 4 yard run, giving the Razorbacks a 10-3 lead. The Hogs' defense held on the next possession, forcing Tennessee to punt from their own 49 yard line. Sophomore punter Matt Darr skied a punt down inside the 20 yard line, and a Tennessee defensive back timed the hit perfectly, forcing a fumble on the muff, which was recovered by "Big" James Stone, for an 8 yard touchdown, completely shifting the momentum in the game.

Tennessee's defense again came up big in the 4th quarter, sacking Arkansas a total of 7 times in the game. With 3:00 left in the fourth, Tennessee's offense got the ball close to mid-field. Offensive coordinator Jim Chaney opted to run the ball, against what most fans would have chosen. The Vols had not ran the ball very well all game, but Chaney obviously saw something he wanted to exploit. The strategy worked, as the Vols moved the ball to the 25 yard line, setting up a 42 yard field goal attempt for Sophomore Michael Palardy.

"Coach came to me and said 'Hey, we gotcha set up in the middle of the field. Miss this and you're riding back to Knoxville with the band.' with a grin. I told him 'Coach, if I hit it, can I ride back with the cheerleaders?" Coach Witt must've agreed, as Palardy snuck the 42 yarder insde the right upright to give the Vols a 13-10 lead with just a few seconds on the clock.

"I'm real proud of Michael." commented Coach Witt "It was a tough environment and he had already missed a long one. He came out and took care of business. Real proud of our team, real happy to catch a break on that punt. Totally different game if our special teams hadn't of shown up. Just real happy."

The Volunteers head back to Knoxville at 7-3 on the season, with Vanderbilt and Kentucky remaining.

Who knows, with a little luck (and a Florida loss) maybe they could end up in Atlanta in December.

---End of Transmission ---

2. -Balla-

-Balla- Walk On

Real good game man. Played perfect bro