Laptop died

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Miklos_Nyiszli, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Miklos_Nyiszli

Miklos_Nyiszli Walk On

Ok so as of right now i am unable to get on aim or do much on the forums due to no laptop. it says i need windows 7 to reinstall back to factory settings. I do not have the disc because it cost 60 dollars extra and didnt think i needed. i also do not know anyone that has the disc windows 7 and do not have the money now to buy it. I am doing what i can and still looking ways to get a disc but as it stand right now i am going to do my best to get everything done without a laptop.

Also my kids got ahold of my phone and broke it so i do not have that either so i am working my best to stay active thru my ps3 which doesnt let me do post so i am at a library tryin to let everyone know.

i will keep u guys posted when i know anything. and if anyone has a windows 7 they can burn and send my way just let me know lol.

2. Big D

Big D Walk On

Miklos. . .I believe if you take your computer to Best Buy the Geek Squad can fix this for relatively cheap. Might even have your computer back the same day if you get lucky.

@Miklos_Nyiszli

3. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

no, its not relatively cheap, they wanted to charge me 200 bucks for my parents computer to reboot to factory conditions.

This is random, but check to see if your laptops HD is "partitioned" which means that you only have access to 3/4s of the HD while the other 1/4 is reserved for keeping a copy of programs sent by the factory and reloads everything as such. Id say 75% of computers now have this feature and to access this you have to hit the f11 key on start up and "disk recovery" should be one of the options

• Like Like x 1
  4. Big D

Big D Walk On

I think that because its a Windows 7 reinstall and not a full system restore that it shouldn't cost $200. Worth checking into anyways.

5. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

honestly, the greek squad WILL fix it but they WILL rip you off, i found i better deal going to a mom and pop computer store and they told me that it was easy as two clicks of the mouse and alot of waiting and sent me on my way. GEEK SQUAD did not tell me how easy it was going to be to fix my pc but they did rather quickly show me prices of services

I was there talking to the geek squad last month, asking the exact same question for my computer, "i have no disks, my registry is corrupt and i need a reinstall" and they said 200 bucks.... exactly what kap needs....

• Like Like x 1
  6. mustang20241

mustang20241 Walk On

lol @ geek squad being relatively cheap.. its like 50 bucks to install a fucking game..

krob, my laptop went down recently but it was a video card problem. I restored my system 3 times to factory settings. If you can atleast boot your computer, you can save it. Now I had a gateway/acer and it has a "system recovery" option after getting to the menu pressing delete, or F2 or F10 one of those. Anyways it was at the top and let me repair it by restoring to factory settings. I did not have a windows disk with the system but if you have a relatively new laptop like 2 years old, you might have it on the hard disk.

7. Miklos_Nyiszli

Miklos_Nyiszli Walk On

yeah i went to the geek squad it was almost 300 dollars for them to try and fix it. i have done everything with hitting f2 and tryin to restore it. i am getting to the part where it is saying cant create a windows file and i retried it like 100 times. but i am looking at my wife maybe getting back into school getting some grant money and maybe buyin another laptop also a windows 7 disc. i am also going to see if i know of any other computer fixing places around here and see what they say.

8. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

geek squad ftw... yeah right.