Large Recruiting Classes

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by BDSDIGITAL, Mar 8, 2010.

1. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Large Recruiting Classes

In one of my OD's I am currently in the middle of recruiting a 25 man class. For this dynasty I decided to fill my board and offer schollies to 25 guys (in our rules we can't send out unnecessary scholarships) and we are in week 9 currently and I have two commitments (1 5 and 1 4 star) and have 5 more 4 star players soft to me. I've only really had time to pursue my top 10 -12 guys which are all pretty much 5-4 star recruits. So I've spent very little time on the bottom half of my board, which is all 3-2 star recruits. I'm currently anywhere from #1 - #5 on each of the 3 and 2 star players lists depending obviously on how many other schools have offered them. With this approach I feel it's reasonable to assume if I recruit well I should have at least 10 commitments or so by the off season, but will be pressed hard to fill my roster in the first few weeks of off season recruiting assuming I won't be able to close most of the lesser recruits I have on my board during the season.

I also broke down my visits to have the top dozen guys at my week 8 game, and have the bottom half of my list coming in 4-5 weeks later. I figured that would give me time to close as many on the top half of my list as possible then talk to the bottom guys enough to unlock good visiting pitches before their visit.

In my other dynasty next season I will also need to recruit a max class of 25 guys and was wondering if anyone thinks that going with a smaller board would be a better idea. Maybe only putting the 4 5 star guys and 10 4 star guys ( that is our league max) on my board, going after them, then re filling my board later in the season with 3 star recruits to round out my class.

I would be interested to know what other guys have done in these situations and what their outcome was....

2. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

My recommendation would be to try and fill your board with as many guys as you can that have only you or maybe 1 other user interested. With 25 spots to fill, you can't really afford to spend 1-2 hours on 1 recruit, especially if that means you don't land him. If it were me I would target about 16-18 of the lower tier guys and spend about 20-30 minutes per week on them, and them pick 1, maybe 2 higher level guys that you want to try and capture.

This approach will mean you may miss out on some of the playmakers in the class, but its better IMO to fill your depth chart and then worry about the playmakers the following year.

3. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

i always save around 2 hours for 5 minute quick calls to the bottom half of my board just to stay in the game until i get my 5* and 4* guys locked up.. then i hit those guys hard in weeks 10-15 and wrap it up in the offseason.

4. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

Find your needs and go for them first. I say around 10-12 guys. After you pretty much lock up about half of them start going for 3 stars. There are good 3 and sometimes 2 star guys that can play or be solid backups. Key thing is don't spend a lot of time on a guy that won't contribute right away.

5. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

You also don't have to sign 25 guys. If you have, say, 15 JRs, you could sign 20 this year and carry the 5 guys you didn't sign over to next year and sign 20 more. This would allow you to spread out your 3* guys between your classes (6 3* kids per class instead of 11 in your current class and 1 in your next).

6. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

All good points. Thanks for your input.

I just thought it would be interesting to see how others handle something like this.

7. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

My only advice. Don't recruit versus OU and the Juggernaut.

8. MaxAttack360

MaxAttack360 Walk On

I think it's quality over quantity and agree with spreading it out. Just remember that if the roster is <70 for a year it's not a bad thing. Why should you even try to sign a mediocre player who MIGHT play his senior season? Use the extra minutes to make sure you get the really good players you want.

Let's say you usually redshirt about 75% of your incoming freshman. This means that you should recruit, on average, about 14-15 players per year. Not that I follow this "plan," but it's just to show that by adding more mediocre players one year, you take away good players from future years. 9 two-stars and bad three-stars in 2012 are using scholarships that could be used by 2 four stars and a five star in 2013, 2014, and 2015.

On the other hand, if for some reason you're required to get 25 recruits (which is what it kind of sounds like), then yes, I would do what you're describing. :)