Last Vote... I promise

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Hellisan, Jun 10, 2011.

?

What direction do we go?

Poll closed Jun 13, 2011.
  1. Move the teams down a rung (Option 1)

11.1%
  2. Allow the use of any team (Option 2)

11.1%
  3. Custom Team List (Option 3)

66.7%
  4. Leave it as originally decided and just deal with the problems (Option 4)

11.1%
  1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

OK so getting back and actually LOOKING at the ratings and rankings and placing them into our chosen league setup... We have a situation that is FUBAR. Well maybe not quite but we need to vote on going one way or the other here in terms of team prestige.

We had decided that 4 or 5 star prestige was what we wanted and we decided 5 stars unless in a power recruiting state.

Well that looks like this:

[​IMG]

Obviously, that leaves some of the divisions looking extremely lopsided. Wisconsin dominant over any other Big "10" leaders division team for instance. Legends division would be fine but Pac 10 would be all 3 and 4-star teams with Stanford clearly being UBER dominant unless the player loses a few games (and Luck) by the end of the first year. But I digress.

I'm making this thread a vote to see if we want to stick with the above or make one of three changes to try and make it better.... Option 1 is to take it a step further and say 4 stars and below except in a power state then 3 stars which looks like this:

[​IMG]

.... Or simply open it up to any team. (Option 2)

If you open it up to any team it's just too easy, we'll crush the cpu all year... I mean blah. Fun user/user battles though and we will be hoping to win that conference championship game etc.

But there's a significant downside to the other one too. The selection of Big Ten teams is frankly quite meager. I hope in that situation Twist would take Illinois (so somebody is getting a team they at least like) maybe leaving me with Purdue... MSU and Northwestern are the only teams worth taking on the other side.

Or Option 3... a custom setup that is just "eyeballing" it and trying to make things a bit more palatable.

[​IMG]

Obviously with that attempt I'm just trying to remove the truly dominant teams. Penn State is a great rated team but they're in a bit of a tough recruiting area... Same with Wisconsin. Option 4 is to leave it as we decided and deal with team discrepancies. They will happen no matter what we do.

And that's what you guys need to decide. Please vote ASAP. I guess there are downsides to both angles.

@jms493
    @Mogriffjr
    @HotRod
    @MaxATX34
    @Blaza
    @jfosh
    @NYJuggalo45
    @The Parrothead
    @Riptides
    @smlVICTORIES53
    @Twister18

2. Riptides

Riptides Potential Star

Heli, do you feel comfortable taking PM's from everyone with their top two choices or so and seeing if option 3 will work to where most everyone gets a team they want to run with but at the same time weeds out the borderline potential powerhouses.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Riptides

Riptides Potential Star

I think for option 3 we kinda need to decide which teams we are talking about hand selecting to be thrown out. I don't want to vote option 3 and then 2 of 3 teams thrown out would be who I want to run with. Just thinking option 3 needs clarification or we will end up with the result of option 1.

Edit: I just think Option 3 become Option 1 once we start taking teams out.

4. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

Another thought I just had was what if you removed all 6 star teams, as well as the highest ranked team in each division? If a 6 star team was the highest ranked team, you wouldn't have to eliminate an additional team. That would mean removing:

Big 10
    Leaders
    Ohio State
    Penn State

Legends
    Michigan State

Pac 12
    Northern
    Oregon
    Stanford

Southern
    Arizona State
    USC

SEC
    East
    Florida
    South Carolina

West
    Alabama
    Auburn
    LSU

You could also tweak it to where it's just the top ranked team overall in each conference is taken out. That would put MSU, ASU, and South Carolian back in the mix.

5. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

SEC would be slim picking there. Whose rolling with Vandy?

6. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

I'm assuming we only have 2 guys per division, right? If so, I'm guessing UGA and either South Carolina or Tennessee get snagged...

7. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Yeah you're right Parrot. My biggest problem with this is that it really limits choices. If we knock out both Florida and So Car, in that division the choices are Georgia, Tenn, Kentucky and Vandy. You can make the argument that Georgia should be knocked off as well too, but let's leave them in for this discussion.

The guy with the 1st pick takes Georgia say. That means, the other guy in this division really doesn't have a choice. If they take Vandy or Kentucky, they are WAY behind the 8 ball compared to the other user teams. So they have to take Tenn. But what if they don't like Tenn? What if Tenn winds up being the 12th team and the last guy gets stuck with them. Is that really going to make it fun for him for 10+ season or whatever?

I am all for equal footing / limiting the choices, whatever. But I think we have to give guys some choices...and some decent choices at that. Not a choice between a team they don't like and 2 shit teams.

We did that in The Uprising. REALLY limited the choices. Alot of the guys in T1 were in that league and can attest to this. The first few years of that dynasty, I think we had more turnover than guys staying in the league. More than 1/2 the league just couldn't get into the teams they were given to choose from / selected.

I voted for leave it the way we originally decided. Take out the big boys (Ohio St's, USC's, etc). Yes, some guys might get 5* teams like Michigan or Georgia. Some guys might get 4* teams in "big" states like Stanford. But at the very least, there will be alot of choices for everyone to pick from, odds are everyone will be happy with their choice and be more "into" their team.

Just my 2 cents though

8. Riptides

Riptides Potential Star

I'm fine with this as well but you still have the situation you are talking about when you don't take out the teams. Look at the Big 10 "Leaders" division. One team will be Wisconsin and the next guy has to be Illinois, Indiana or Purdue. I thin Wisconsin is head and shoulders above those three teams.

So another words, it is going to be hard to tweak it just right. There is most likely going to be a lopsided conference or two.

9. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

leave Penn St in there in that case then?

Or, one thing I have never been a fan of is custom conferences. BUT one thing I have done and would be ok with, moving teams within the conference. For example, if you take out Ohio St and Penn St...leave the rest of the Big 10 open. People select - Wisconsin, Mich, Mich St & Nebraska.

Swap Nebraska with say Illinois or Indiana. Leave the "big" rivals as is, but swap one of the crappy teams no one cares about. Still in the conference, will still play them on a rotation, and it gives more flexibility with choices.

10. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

I voted take her down a rung. I agree there are some discrepancies either way with the current makeup. Let's be honest, Michigan, UGA, etc. are going to have a huge leg up on the ASU's and Washington States'.

Has anyone taken a look at the ACC or Big 12 teams? I'm traveling and unable to take a good look right this second but maybe they have teams on more of am even plane?

11. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    I don't want to be stuck with purdue again...

12. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

Boiler up!

13. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

If we're trying to keep conferences with championship games, Big 12 would be out, wouldn't they?

Need to check out the ACC, but I seriously do NOT want a team in that conference from a personal standpoint. Don't think that will be an issue, though.

14. Riptides

Riptides Potential Star

Throw out FSU and Miami, which is one team on both sides, and the ACC is more of a balanced conference than the Big 10.

15. Riptides

Riptides Potential Star

HotRod, we wouldn't do that to you. Indiana it is then......(y)

• Like Like x 1
  16. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Ha, fuck Indiana!

17. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

Yeah, ACC would only lose FSU and Miami (5 star schools in a powerhouse state). You'd still have 5 star Virginia Tech in there and 4 star UNC, Georgia Tech, and Clemson. Surprisingly, Duke is a 3 star school.

18. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

Probably don't want to be stuck with UGA again, either. :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I'll help out and be last pick so others can get dibs on who they want. I only like Penn state collegiate wise and I never get them. I usually like my team for the long haul anyways. I never understood why people quit upon entering a league that everyone starts on equal footing.

• Like Like x 1
  20. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

I agree with you. I don't have a vested interest in any available team (USC fan, went to school at Iowa State and Northern Iowa, and currently work at Duke. Don't see any of those teams available to me!). If you never get Penn State and it's your team, I'd probably be fine with opening that up to you to have. Just my personal thought, though.

21. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

I agree with Mo, I will pick one to help fill in the conferences.

Oh wow, Blaza just PMed me that I ought to represent South Carolina!! What a guy!!! :p;)

22. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

swap Nebraska(or Mich St or Iowa) and Indiana. SIM is SIM, but this is a new conference set-up IRL so I dont see the harm in switching it up a tiny bit.

If we did that and went with the original plan I feel like it would probably shake out like this...

Leaders:
    Nebraska
    Wisconsin

Legends:
    Michigan/Michigan St
    Iowa

Pac12 North:
    Stanford
    Cal/Oregon St

Pac12 South:
    Arizona St
    Utah

SEC East:
    Georgia
    South Carolina/Tennessee

SEC West:
    Arkansas
    Miss St

The Pac12 seems a little weaker (especially the south) but fosh said he wanted Arizona St, and I've already said I'll run with Utah. I think this could work pretty well.
    I would run with any of these teams though, so I dont care if I pick last either.

23. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I feel comfortable with that but seems like there's a segment of people that don't know what they want until their pick is up.

24. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I'm lost. how are you coming up with MSU rather than Michigan or Iowa... It seems that no matter how we cut it we're seeing screwy results.

25. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

I was using the actual ranking that was out there. Michigan State is 15, Michigan 33, and Iowa 38. Michigan State was highest, so they would have been yanked in that situation.

It does look like there are a few people that don't really have a preference and are willing to go at the end. I think we'll probably be fine.