Late Season Assessments

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Philstyle3005, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Philstyle3005

Philstyle3005 Walk On

Late Season Assessments

#3- Michigan Wolverines 8-1 5-0

Key Players:

Offense-

QB- Denard Robinson- 83-144 1587 yards 18 TDs 1 INT

Denard has played a big part in why Michigan is 8-1 and number 3 in the country, but he's not the only reason. Michigan has proven it can beat teams without Denard, even key conference foes such as Nebraska, as Denard has missed about 4 and 1/2 games combined due to injury. Still though, he has put up some very impressive numbers, and doing so while only throwing 1 interception. Pretty solid for the SR QB out of Florida. He also has 3 TDS on the ground.

RB- David Harrison- 141 att 729 yards 9 TDs 1 fumble 19 rec. 212 yards 2 TDs

David is a True Freshman who many thought would be redshirted this season, but the coaches instead decided to let him play, and save his redshirt just incase. The 6'1 Wisconsin native has proven he can be a starting back in the B1G and thrive in the spread offense running the ball. David was splitting carries with Fitzgerald Toussaint to begin the year, but with Fitzgerald went down with a broken collarbone, David was asked to carry more of the load. He's done well in his first season in Michigan but it's not clear what his status will be for next season. He still isn't the back that Michigan needs him to be.

WR- Je Ron Stokes 25 rec 843 yards 12 TDs 5 drops 22 KR 617 31 PR 308

Je Ron took the place of Roy Roundtree in the offense after Roy unexpectedly left for the draft. The SR WR has been a do it all type of player for the Wolverines and has done very well. He's actually benefited more from Denard's injury than anyone else because he quickly became back up QB James Johnston's favorite wide out. True Freshman Matt Herron is having a big year as well, and that has taken a lot of the coverage away from Je Ron and opened him up a lot more than originally expected.

K Will Hagerup- 24/25 Long 59 45/45 XP

Normally a kicker is an afterthought but in this case, Will has been almost perfect for Michigan this season, and has made it seem that if Michigan can get to the 40, they will put some points on the board.

Defense

MLB Kenny Demens - 35 tackles 7 TFL 1 Sack 4 INTs 2 FF 2 FR 2 TD

When you talk about the Michigan defense, it all starts with Kenny Demens. The SR LB has done everything for Michigan and really has been great for them. It seems he's everywhere and even though it says he only has 7 tackles for loss, he has a lot for 1 or less yards. He's been great all season and is a big reason Michigan is undefeated in conference play.

LE Craig Roh - 15 Tackles 10 TKL 8 sacks 1 INT 1 FF 1 FR

Craig has been solid for the Michigan line this season, tallying off 8 sacks on unsuspecting QBS. In a defense that doesn't blitz much, you have to have great defensive linemen if you want to get to the QB. Craig is one of those guys that are lucky enough to have the ability to get to the QB without much help. He's played great up front and Michigan will miss the SR when he graduates this Spring.

BIG WINS

26-9 over then #10 Nebraska. This was a big conference win that was a MUST WIN at the time and the reason it's such a big win is because Denard Robinson didn't play a snap in this game. He was out with an injured back from a previous game and could not go. The Redshirt sophomore James Johnston was asked to be a game manager and even though he threw 3 interceptions in the game, the defense played well and forced Taylor Martinez into 5 interceptions and came up with a win.

38-24 over then #10Iowa. Another big win because Denard Robinson played a total of 1 minute in this game and was knocked out of the game after completing a touchdown pass to David Harrison. This was also the first time the Michigan coaching staff and players had seen an option attack and had to adjust on the go. James Johnston played excellent in this game throwing for over 250 yards and only having 4 incompletions on the day. Again,t he Michigan defense stepped up and stopped the option attack for the most part and picked up a big win to all but lock up a spot in the B1G championship game.

TOUGH LOSS

27-24 against then #8 UNC. This was a tough loss for Michigan as they had several opportunities to get stops, but just could never get over the hump and make the play. Michigan had trouble getting any type of offense going in the first half, and was lucky to get an interception on a screen pass to tie the game at 10 going into the half. This game was early on in the season and the freshman David Harrison was still adjusting to the speed of college football, only had 7 yards on 9 carries, by far his worst outing of the season. A lot of that had to do with UNC's defense though. Denard tried to take it upon himself to carry the team and had 3 passing TD's on the day, 67 rushing yards, and 200 passing yards but threw his ONLY interception of the year in this game. This was a tough hard fought game and Michigan can only hope to get a shot at a rematch in the Orange Bowl if both teams do their part to get there.

BIG Games Left-

Week 13- #8 in the BCS Purdue At 7-2, Purdue defeated the early favorite in the Leaders Division, Wisconsin, in Overtime by a gutsy go for 2 call. Purdue has came out of no where and is having a great season. A much anticipated match-up next week and Purdue has the home field advantage. Purdue boasts the leading Big Ten rusher in Ralph Bolden, and Michigan will have to slow him down in order to win the game.

B1G Championship Game- This could be a rematch of Week 13 against Purdue assuming Purdue doesn't drop 2 of their next 3 games. If Purdue does lose, it will be a rematch of last seasons B1G championship with Wisconsin playing Michigan, the only difference this season is Michigan will be the higher ranked team, and hopefully have Denard Robinson healthy and ready to go.

* A little late on this, wanted to do it at mid-season but we were moving at such a great pace, I let it slip my mind. Thought it'd be fun if other teams wanted to post their Assessments so far here too.

• Like Like x 2
  2. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Nice... Work has been killing me lately. I've been slammed today and I had to go back into the office last night as well, but if I have time tomorrow I'll definitely do an assessment on Purdue.

3. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

hell of a job philly. i'll knock one of these out after work. i suggest we all do one

4. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Went ahead and just stole your format...

Late Season Assessments

#8- Purdue Boilermakers 7-2 5-0

Key Players:

Offense-

QB- Caleb TarBush- 57-131 927 yards 5 TDs 7 INT

Well, I have 3 different QBs that have taken snaps and all have completed under 50%. All of them are running QBs and passing is not their strong suit. It's not all on them though. The WRs and TEs haven't exactly helped them out as many drops have been costly. Tarbush has played the most, but if he throws a pick, he's done. His throws become way off the mark.

RB- Ralph Bolden- 206 att 1,246 yards 19 TDs 2 fumble 7 rec. 62 yards

Easily is my team MVP. Bolden put the team on his back in the huge win over Wisconsin. He has been the work horse of the team and if he doesn't get his carries, Purdue doesn't get the win. The Boilermakers have been lucky he's stayed healthy despite all the carries, but luckily backup Akeem Shavers is quite talented as well. The team will really miss Bolden next year.

WR- Gary Bush 20 rec 301 yards 2 TDs 3 drops

It's tough to choose a top receiver on this team. It's like choosing the smartest retard. They have so many drops despite playing with conservative catching, its no wonder these QBs want to run. My top 3 receivers along with my starting tight end have a combined 59 catches and 12 drops. That's not good.

K Cody Webster- 5/7 Long 45 21/21 XP

Changed kickers as my true freshman kicker has the leg of a 13 year old girl. Webster is actually my punter but he's a pretty solid kicker as well.

Defense

MLB Dwayne Beckford - 28 tackles 13 TFL 2 Sack 1 INTs 2 FF

My boy in the middle is like a wrecking ball. He helps contain the opposing running game and he does it well. He's a monster and he spearheads the stout Purdue defense.

DT Bruce Gaston- 19 Tackles 11 TKL 8 sacks 1 FF 1

While Beckford has been the wrecking ball, Gaston has been the bulldozer clearing the way for him. Meanwhile, he's been no slouch as a pass rusher. He has been a nightmare coming up the middle for opposing quarterbacks with 8 sacks already.

BIG WINS

24-10 over then #1 Ohio State. Went into the Horseshoe and knocked off the Buckeyes. Defense was stellar and Bolden did enough offensively to get the win.

39-38 over then #2 Wisconsin. This game was big for many reasons. One because it was a game between two top 15 teams. And two because it would determine the likely winner of the Leaders Division. This one was Wisconsin early, Purdue late and still needed overtime to separate these two. In the end, Wiscy's inability to stop Robert Bolden led to a two-point conversion that was successful for the 1-point victory.

TOUGH LOSS

14-7 against Wake Forest. The Boilermakers still stuck in previous CoachRedd's shitty option playbook, were unable to do anything offensively and despite a stellar showing by the defense, couldn't win. The offense gave up a pick-6 that was the difference in the ball game.

BIG Games Left-

Week 13- #3 in the BCS Michigan

Michigan looks to be the second big test for Purdue. The first one was Wisconsin which the Boilermakers scraped by. Michigan will be a different kind of offense to prepare for and will be a tough test.

B1G Championship Game- Most likely a rematch with Michigan. If these games become a split, this is the one I want to win. Overall, pretty satisfied with my first full season at Purdue.

5. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

good color choices retard JQwon13

p.s. if you ever want me to stop tje childish mockery please say so, i'm almost sick of it myself lol

6. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

tone it down a bit :doodie:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Late Season Assessments

#19 Wake Forest Demon Deacons 7-3 (5-1)

Key Players:

Offense-

QB FR (RS) Kevin Sousa: 68-109, 853 yards, 5 TDs, 5 INTs, 62.4% completion, 1 Rush TD

Sousa has started to bring stability to a position that has been in the air (pun intended?) for Wake the past year and a half. For the second straight season, Wake has landed on a third option at QB. Although he hasn't played stellar, his ability to make enough plays to keep defenses honest and keep drives going has been superb. He should only get better.

RB JR (RS) Josh Harris: 211 attempts, 1243 yards, 14 TDs, 124.3 yards per game

Harris is the leader of the offense, and the main weapon in the Wake offensive attack; all of which was expected coming into this season. His 124 yards a game and touchdown totals are some of the best in the country. Harris recently went down with broken ribs and will miss a few weeks. We will see if Wake can keep any consistent offense going while the junior is out, but look for him to pick up where he left off once he is back.

WR JR (RS) Michael Campanaro: 47 receptions, 428 yards, 3 TD

Coming into the season, Campanaro was expected to try and fill the shoes of receiver Chris Givens who left early for the NFL. Michael hasn't quite been able to fill those shoes, but he has done a good job considering what was asked of him. He rarely breaks into the 100 yards in a game, but probably catches 3 or 4 first downs for us every game. Senior Lovell Jackson has done a good job opposite of Mike, catching 24 balls for 343 yards and 3 TDs as well.

Defense

OLB SO (RS) Zachary Allen: 68 tackles (46 solo, 13 TFL), 3 sacks, 2 interceptions, 3 FF, 3 PD, TD

Zach came into this season being the guy that was to replace former Wake standout Kyle Wilbur, and he been every bit as expected. The Highpoint, Florida native has used his superb athleticism to fly over the field making plays in Coach Pelini's defense. This defense should produce a star at each level of the defense every year, and Allen just so happens to be the man in the middle this year. Look for him to be mentioned on numerous All- American lists down the road.

DT JR (RS) Nikita Whitlock: 39 tackles (27 solo, 20 TFL), 14 sacks

Coming into this season, Nikita was already a big name on preseason All-ACC teams. The junior has been able to take advantage of a dominating secondary and work his way to QB's an astounding 14 times this season. Using great athleticism (80 speed, 87 acceleration) Whitlock has been able to pounce on unsuspecting quarterbacks like Sandus... nevermind. Look for Whitlock to possibly have one of the best seasons of any Wake Forest defensive lineman in recent memory- god forbid this kid comes back.

CB JR AJ Marshall: 31 tackles (20 solo, 2 TFL), 8 interceptions, 177 interception yards,

11 PD, TD

Marshall turned in a solid year last season, snagging 5 interceptions (3 of which he returned for touchdowns). This season, AJ has been arguably the best defensive back in the NCAA. He has a knack for getting around the ball, and is even better at fighting for it and coming down with it. Above all else though, and something I am just noticing, he has an Ed Reed like feel for returning interceptions. Returning four interceptions in the last season and a half for touchdowns is no easy task. Hopefully AJ will continue to play well this year, and God willing he returns for his senior campaign. If we can keep our underclassmen out of the draft, we should have one of the top defenses in the country- again. These three players are a huge reason we are the #1 total defense in the country.

BIG WINS

Going to Purdue and winning 14-7 was a game that showed my defense how good they are really capable of being. We found out early that we needed to fix some things on offense, which is one of the advantages to playing serious out of conference games. Our main goal at Wake is to get our kids ready for the ACC conference grind. Purdue has had a good season too, so this win really shines now.
    As always, the game against Clemson was a huge one. Being able to gut out a 27-6 win at home was just a great moment for this team. Unless Boston College starts to get some traction in the conference, this annual match up will be for the division every season. Junior Josh Harris rumbled for 184 yards and 2 scores to lead us to a monumental win- the biggest of the season for sure.

TOUGH LOSS

Losing 16-19 to North Carolina, without a doubt. We are 0-2 the past two tries against the Tarheels; with them being rivals, it hurts 5 times over. We even won the turnover margin, which usually leads to a Wake victory 9 times outta 10. If we can get off to a faster start the next time we play, that could prove to be the key. Also, getting a receiver I am willing to throw the ball deep to would help tons.

BIG Games Left-

The only big one left will be a cross divisional game against Virginia. The Cavaliers have been a force since the coaching change, and beating them would be huge win. We need to show we can keep up with the guys from the division if we are to be taken seriously. I shouldn't say seriously, because I know North Carolina doesn't treat us as a cake walk ever, and I know we have the respect from Georgia Tech.

Speaking of Georgia Tech, Wake is beginning to target the Yellowjacket's (pending they make it to the ACC title game). Wake has all but ensured their spot in the CCG, and will either rematch the Tarheels of face Ga Tech for the second straight season.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Don't listen to Fuzzy... He's sensitive. I have no feelings...Plus the douchebaggery makes for a better league. Ask CoachRedd

9. hornfaninbama

hornfaninbama GT: BulgyTexas

Late Season Assessments

#14- Nebraska Cornhuskers 6-3 (4-2)

Offense-

QB- Taylor Martinez

Martinez started off slowly but has picked up his game of late. In his last game he threw for 300 yards and 3 TD without 1 Int. Bringing his total on the season to 13 TD and 14 Int. He's only a JR and with a year like this the NFL shouldnt be sniffing around. You never know though. Jamarcus Russell went #1 overall.

RB- Bret Davis and Adam Gore
    Davis and Gore were expected to step in and become the 1A and 1B in the Nebraska backfield and they haven't disappointed. Davis broke the 1000 yard mark this week against Ohio State and Gore will do so next week. Both have scored 10 times and have become the "Thunder and Lightning" the coaching staff expected from them. Kirk Herbstreit always likes to say, "They are only freshmen, imagine what they'll be doing in a year or 2." Gore is averaging almost 8 yards a carry and has acored from as far out as 81 yards this season. Davis lugged his 260 lb frame 76 for one a few weeks ago and is averaging almost 6 himself.

WR- Erick Fountain

A 3rd Freshman shows up on the offense here. Fountain hasn't caught many balls but he has made them count. 19 for 476 yards and 7 TD's. All 7 have come over the last 5 weeks. He has quickly become Martinez's favorite target in the passing game and the 6'4 freshman will step up into a more important role next season with the graduation of Patrick Marlowe and the additions of 2 :5stars: Freshmen.

Defense

CB David White
    None of the coaches expected the :5stars: Athlete to step in and play the way he has racking up 6 Int. and 17 tackles, but he grabbed the starting role in the spring and never let it go. He has scored 2 times on interceptions and has even shown some promise as a kick returner. He was quoted saying he wants the single season and career interception mark before he leaves Nebraska and he has at least 2 more seasons to top those.
    FS Courtney Osborne

Osborne has been the heart and soul of the Blackshirts this season and he leads the team in tackles with 29 and he's thrown in 3 interceptions for good measure. CB White has said Osborne mentored him in the offseason and told him he's the future of the pass defense since Osborne will move on to the NFL next season. Osborne has been the QB of a secondary that has forced 21 interceptions through 9 games.

DT Baker Steinkuhler
    Steinkuhler has become the madman up front for the Blackshirts following in the footsteps of the last 2 DT for Nebraska. He is 4th on the team in tackles but leads in sacks and has recoverd 2 fumbles. he is another of the seniors on the defense that will be gone next season, but he has faith that the 2 underclassmen behind him will continue the tradition of dominant interior linemen.

Big Wins

The most recent win over #9 OSU. Nebraska really needed a marquee win this season following defeats by UNC, Michigan and Iowa and finally got one against the Buckeyes. The run game never got going but Martinez had his best game of the season his career against OSU. Coach BulgyTexas is earning his car this year by leading a team with so many freshmen on offense and playing key roles on defense. The season started with a lot of promise and a decent bowl game can still he achieved if Nebraska keeps winning.

Tough Losses
    Losing to Michigan was a tough loss beacuse of the implications surrounding the game. Nebraska had their chances but squandered them all game long. The loss to UNC was tough because Maher did his best Cade Foster impression by missing 3 FG.

Projecting Out
    Nebraska has a good shot in the rest of their games, and a 10 win season and final week Top 10 isn't out of the question. With all the freshmen playing key roles it would have to be considered a successful year. Next year Coach Bulgy expects to return the bulk of his offense with Martinez, Davis, Gore and Fountain. And incorporate some new high flying freshmen into the mix. The best player on defense will return and some true freshmen who don't show up in this list but have played big time minutes will be back along with some speedy hard hitting freshmen. Next year the Huskers can realistically expect to challenge for a conference title and hopefully have the horses to make a run at a MNC for the first time since Dr. Tom roamed the sidelines.

10. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2