Late Season look at the NL

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PAgamer07, Mar 23, 2013.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Yes, who cares about the American League. Time to take a look at some of the teams in the NL and what they are doing right and wrong this year.​
    Offense:
    [​IMG]
    • There are currently 5 teams who are outpacing the pack and should end the season top 5 in HR. They are: Chicago, Arizona, Milwaukee, Philadelphia and St. Louis. Of all of these, Chicago is the biggest surprise.
    • Nomar Mazara, Jose Vazquez, Conrad Tomshaw, Kevan Smith, Phil Wunderlich, and Julio Zavala lead this group and are the keys to their teams power output this year.
    • Of these teams, only the Cubs have a losing record and 3 of them are expected to win their divisions (Arizona, Philadelphia and Milwaukee)
    [​IMG]
    • So let's take a look at SB and see what that shows us.
    • Interestingly enough, the top 2 teams are in the same division: St. Louis and Cincinatti.
    • The Dodgers are a close second, but will not catch them over the course of the year.
    • The Giants are dead last, with the Pirates second to last. So speed is not a part of their game.
    • CF Max York and SS Billy Hamilton lead the pack in stolen bases. Surprisingly, after 83 SB in 2017, Hamilton has really slowed down.
    [​IMG]
    • So how do all these HR and SB translate to runs scored?
    • The Brewers are on a record pace and this will be an offense to watch. With 2 months left to go hitting 1000 runs will be nearly impossible, but you never know.
    • Arizona is a distant second, but still slightly better than Colorado at 3rd.
    • All the other teams in the league are tightly bunched outside of San Diego who has the worst offense in the NL.
    • LF Jason Parrish already has the Rookie of the Year award in the bag, and currently leads the NL in runs scored by a nice amount over former MVP Christian Yelich. Not bad for an 8th round draft pick.
    Pitching:
    [​IMG]
    • Let's take a look at Quality Starts. A pretty good overall indicator of how well a rotation goes deep into games without giving up many runs.
    • As you can see, a lot of the teams are pretty bunched up. These top 5 teams are: Miami, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Washington and San Diego. Only one of these is a definite playoff team.
    • Of these teams... Trevor Bauer and David Hurlburt stand out as much better than their peers.
    [​IMG]
    • So how are the bullpens doing?
    • The Reds are dead last in Blown Saves and surprisingly, this is not hurting their overall record that much. With a solid BP, it's possible this team would be giving the Brewers a run for their money.
    • The best teams? San Diego with only 7 Blown Saves and Philly with 8
    • San Francisco, Milwaukee, St. Louis and Miami are not far behind.
    • Interestingly enough... San Diego has the least amount of Save Opportunities with only 53 on the year. A whopping 22 behind 2nd place Philadelphia. The most? Cincinatti with 118
    [​IMG]
    • Before we look at runs allowed, Id take a look at another good indicator of an entire staff: K/BB
    • Milwaukee and Cincinatti lead the pack here. Arizona is a close 3rd, followed by the rest of the NL.
    • The worst teams are Chicago and Los Angeles. Two of the worst teams in the league.
    • Mark Appel and Cole Nelson are far and away the best in the League with an impressive 4.50+ K/BB ratio
    [​IMG]
    • Finally... Runs allowed
    • Look at the Brewers. Head and shoulders the best staff in the NL. They have only allowed 397 runs all year.
    • Arizona is a distant second from the Brewers, but still a good staff overall.
    • On the other end of the spectrum Colorado (558) and Chicago (535) have allowed the most runs this year.
    Final Thoughts:

By looking at these stats, obviously a balance between a good rotation, bullpen and a strong offense are key. Arizona and Milwaukee stand out here.​
    A strong pitching staff is key to wins in the NL. Colorado and Chicago score runs in bunches, but their pitching is not that impressive.​
    Team speed does not equate to runs for the most part (this year anyhow)​

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Before I make my smart ass comment, love the content. I forgot those graphs are out there.

Now, thanks Captain Obvious.:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. PAgamer07

Hahaha. My point was that the teams with the best balance in pitching and hitting are currently the best teams in the NL. Some years an awesome offense with mediocre pitching will be the best, or vice versa. And yeah... I could have phrased it better, but intelligent people like ourselves can figure it out by looking at the graphs alone ;)

4. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    It's funny, last year, same basic team, my pitching was WAY better and my hitting was WAY worse. OOTP is badass.

5. PAgamer07

Haha. I equate that to a couple things: Dan Davis is having a career year. You have more experience setting lineups. And finally on the pitching front... your defense has been subpar this year, really hurting you. Just like real baseball, it's impossible to figure out. Unless you're Timpegoose :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Agreed. We've talked about this before, if you look at my individual position players, they are all pretty decent on defense. Collectively they suck my balls.

7. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

This game's easy, not sure what the problem is. Now if you come back and ask me in 5 seasons I'll be hating the game and saying it's impossible to figure out like the rest of you :D

8. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Arizona will be tough come playoffs

9. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    It was really ugly early out in Colorado but our pitching staff is coming around. After going 22-35 in April and May, we've gone 32-20 in June and July and are on the move. We've climbed to just 6 games behind Arizona for the division and 3 behind for the wildcard.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

My team sucks, our record against everyone outside our division proves it. I mean if 3 months on the DL doesn't turn Matt Moore to complete crap then maybe we have a chance but I don't even know if we have the horses to close out our division.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Mets = mediocrity!

12. PAgamer07

[​IMG]

13. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

Sources close the the Marlins brain trust say the team is thinking of bringing back skipper Ozzie Guillen.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

The Rays are finally starting to turn things around. Finally pulled myself out of the cellar of the AL East at least for 1 sim lol. The Crazy thing is I can still see any team winning the divison this late into the season. Red Sox in last place but only 7 games out.

15. PAgamer07

This is for the NL. Start your own thread :p

• Like Like x 1
  16. PAgamer07

Double post

17. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Make or break sim for the Braves here I think. Unless we only go +/- a game or so, then it'll be the next one. Somehow only 4 games back on the wild card.

18. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

alrighty then