League Address - A Call to Arms

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by fuzzyl0gic, May 18, 2011.

1. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Let me begin by saying that I have no one to blame but myself for the slow death of this league that has gotten progressively worse over the past few weeks, I will try to be a better commish. It's hard to preach rules and not come off as a bit hypocritical, if I'm guilty of the same charges (minimal forum activity, no game recaps, etc.) I need to lead by example. My time constraints have changed drastically over the most month, and if I feel like I still can't keep up with generating and enforcing content, I wouldn't mind passing the buck on to some one else who has the time, for the greater benefit of the league. I will try to prioritize my time better and not leave the league duties out. I'm going to start doing what I expect of everyone with a game summary of my Syracuse game, and recruiting updates by tomorrow evening. Anyone who can't keep up will be replaced by those willing to contribute, and I'll hold myself to the same standard (by passing on my commishing duties if I keep coming up short).

New Ideas
    There is a lot to discuss with '12 around the corner, we really haven't had a solid consensus on things. I would love to do a single user conference with shitty teams, as I feel like there is just equal in competition with all user conference games. It takes time and dedication to build your program, and there will be no shame in losing, as we all be in the same boat. Great examples of this structure are H4Y, and another league I'm in, legendary veterans. 8+ CPU games every season really does get boring to me, especially past season 5 when some teams are really bad. It is much easier to generate user content that is relevant to user teams (conference awards, conference recruiting trail, conference POTW, etc.)

Would there be any interest in doing something like this? It would be a drastic shift from our current model, but I'm down. I'm also open to ideas as to how to continue our current system until '12 launches. Give me some input guys!

One potential idea is starting over with C-USA teams to try out the structure, and get as many seasons in as possible before we get adequate rosters for '12.

@fuzzyl0gic
    @gwill
    @MaslerBoros16
    @sibellius
    @broth262
    @-Cougars-
    @duhdman1026
    @BigBodySS
    @pnc

2. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

@fuzzyl0gic
    @gwill
    @MaslerBoros16
    @sibellius
    @broth262
    @-Cougars-
    @duhdman1026
    @BigBodySS
    @pnc
    The main problem I see with this is what I'm experiencing now. Not all members are going to stay with the league and people are going to come in late like I did. As you can see there is a HUGE disparity in talent between Syracuse and Rutgers for example. It is not my fault that the Syracuse CPU didn't recruit all its defense and offense to A+ but I am paying for it. If we go with a build up your own school we're going to have this problem. Many people won't have the patience to stick it out b/c of the clear disadvantage of not being here from the start and rebuilding with everyone else on the same schedule. It has been frustrating as hell for me with Syracuse and I've come close once or twice to pulling the plug but have managed some self restraint.

Just my take on the matter but I'm happy with whatever the majority opinion becomes. Just thinking about what effects this decision would have on our league down the road.

3. pnc

pnc Walk On

I know im the new guy, but I like the challenge of taking a 2/3 star team and trying to win and recruit while also building a dynasty up to a 5/6 star team. For me its just funner that way. Ill also do whatever the majority votes on.

If all 10 guys are solid for next year, then 2 good players will take care of the talent question. Espically starting in a conference like the usa, or the mac where theres not much difference between the teams.

4. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

It will be almost impossible to find 12 reliable devoted guys that will stick around for 5-10 seasons. It sounds good and everyone that joins has the best of intentions until something comes along and they bail or just don't contribute.

5. sibellius

sibellius Too legit to quit

I've heard mixed reviews about the single conference system, never been a part of one myself though. I'm on board with using all 2-3 star teams though. We might even consider doing a team lottery where we all get a random low-rated team...just an idea.

Once 12 hits I'm expecting we'll get an influx of new guys....so that means the guys that have been here for awhile need to set a clear example of whats expected in terms of participation.

6. broth262

broth262 Dirty Terps

Featured Threads:
    To me the one conference system is a pain because that amount pf user games gets difficult to schedule. What I would like is we went all into one goegraphic region. And then split us into 2 or 3 (at the max) conferences. This way their are alot of user games, but not as many and also we see recruiting battles and non conference games that can be rivalries. So to me that would be a CUSA and MAC maybe, WAC and MWC, or Big 12(if that is still the name) and Pac 12/Big11/SEC or Big East and ACC, or ACC and SEC. Not sure. I always like the ideas of building up your team but with the way the game tends to work, even if your team goes undefeated every season if you aren't in a big conference you get shafted in the preseason rankings every year and the national title.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

damn good point that hadn't even crossed my mind when considering using lower tier teams.

8. Masler

Masler Moderator

The problem with low ranked teams is that yes people will play for 2 or 3 seasons but when the recruits progressively get worse, as does their team, we will be back in the stale mate we are now. When I first created The Rise it was nfor the concept to take teams who had potential but rarely lived up to it, usually a 3 or 4 star team. This also gave coaches room to work with and to build a dynasty they could be proud of. I am very prroud nof what Ive turned MSU into nand what fuzzy has done with Rutgers. Even Syracuse is rising from the ashes.

9. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

yeah well the shitty thing about Syracuse is by the time they are where you and fuzzy are now we'll be jumping to 12.

10. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

I wouldn't mind 2 conferences only. Any conference with a conference championship game would be fun and easily competitive. I wouldn't mind rolling with the C-USA and MAC for those easy reasons. They are both lowly rated teams and can be fun to improve.

11. gwill

gwill Sierra, Hotel, India, Echo, Lima, Delta

I also vote for 2 conferences only as well b/c I also feel like you always have something to play for whether it's recruiting, a conference title or even a Nat'l Title. I also like the 3 & 4 star team build up because there to me is nothing better than when as 3 star team you land a 4 star prospect, or when you knock off a top 15 team, or even when you get 5 star prospects interested in you. If I had to vote I would choose 3-4 teams in ACC/SEC or PAC12/BIG12.

12. Masler

Masler Moderator

As I've expressed in the past, I would like the Big 10 involved somehow as I want Michigan State to be my second league team.

Also, Fuzzy if you find need a breather from commish duties, I could take the league off your hands for a while until your schedule calms down. All I have going for me right now is work (which I am out by 9pm EST each night) and will be moving in late June/early-mid July.

13. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Are you a fan of the Big Ten conference or just MSU?

14. Masler

Masler Moderator

Mainly MSU but I will root Big Ten (except Michigan).

15. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

I see, hopefully my Boilermakers will be somewhat decent this year. Hopefully Robert Marve can stay healthy Caleb Terbush isn't good at all and we lost a good receiving core at that.

16. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

Well then my vote is for the SEC b/c i want to use south carolina. I'm sure MSU and USC are going to be more than 3/4 star schools so we have some decisions to make.

17. fuzzyl0gic

18. pnc

pnc Walk On

So are we continuing with this league, or starting a new one?

19. fuzzyl0gic

Sorry for the confusion pnc, but I'm 99% sure we will just continue with our current setup until '12 drops. I was just throwing that out there to see if we needed a drastic change to stimulate league interest/activity. I think shrinking the conference will help (the pac 10 guys joining ACC, Big 10, or Big East), as well as having a fresh new face at commish to lead us.

20. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I'm new, but my 2 cents is that I have always wanted to do a one conference league. I'd be very willing to use one of the lower end teams of a conference if someone wanted one of the good schools, and just imagine how impressive a conference title would be having to beat 10 other users.

21. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

I will throw my two cents in since I would love to come back for 12. I wouldn't mind a one conference OD, it would really add to the experience and create a fun, competitive atmosphere. I should be settled back down in mid-June so I will be ready to roll when 12 drops.