League Change: Realignment

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by NeuroticTruth, May 8, 2015.

?

Which option would you like to see in the realignment?

Poll closed May 13, 2015.
  1. Option 1

36.4%
  2. Option 2

36.4%
  3. Option 3

27.3%
  1. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    As many of you may know by now, we're going to be going through some realignment this coming offseason. This is something I've wanted to do for a while now and with the turnover our roster has gone through over the past few seasons, I feel like now is a great opportunity to do it. I know there are probably some of you who are going to be dead set against this. Please know that I understand where you're coming from and this is not something that is being done whimsically. I've poured a lot of thought, time, and effort into this idea (with the help of many others) and I honestly feel like this is the best thing to do for the long term health of the league. On top of that I feel like it may generate extra interest in the league. I've talked to a few GMs who have point blank told me they dont pay attention to the league outside of their own divisions. On top of everything, I feel like this gives us an opportunity to learn more about the other GMs / teams in our league.

The biggest issue with realignment is to make sure GM talent and parity remain through everything. On top of that we also wanted to assure that regional rivalries stayed in tact as well. With that being said, I wanted to run a few options by everyone and just get a general feel for what everyone is thinking when considering those options. I'm going to present three options below, please vote for the one you like the best:

Option 1
    1.3.png

Option 2
    1.4.png

Option 3
    1.5.png

-------------------------------------------​

Please note that popular vote doesnt necessarily mean we'll be going with that option. Also, I'm not going to dramatically change any of these if at all, our final realignment will likely be one of these three options. While I do want input and your comments, I would encourage everyone to not get "Well how about this ..." happy. If you have suggestions on different possibilities for alignment, please feel free to PM me with them.

The Dugout

• Like Like x 1
  2. PhiGuy179

PhiGuy179 Walk On

#2, #1, #3. That's my vote.

3. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Anything that brings the Battle of Ohio and the CLE/PIT rivalries together automatically gets my vote!

• Like Like x 2
  4. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    Can you vote via the poll at the top of the page?

5. PhiGuy179

PhiGuy179 Walk On

Yea, im when home I will. Its not showing a poll on my phone sadly.

6. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

I must of missed the notifications about potential realignment because this is the first I am seeing, or hearing about it. With that said, it's an interesting idea but I am not convinced that it would accomplish any of the assumed goals stated. It does sounds like it would bring something *new* to the league but how does this change any of the previous problems referenced above.

I have specific questions to the points made above. Out of general interest of all members in the league who were not privy to these decision process:
    1. Why is this realignment considered the best thing to do for the long term health of the league?
    2. Drastically realigning divisions may generate extra interest in the league? Seems a drastic decision for something not 100% about
    3. I agree with "gives us an opportunity to learn more about the other GMs / teams in our league" but I'd also say that it in familiarizing yourself with the new teams in your division those owners are likely to forgot about their old division rivals. I'd suggest schedule modifications over division realignment to accomplish this goal.
    4. This appears to be the driver of this bus and probably should have just been led with "biggest issue with realignment is to make sure GM talent and parity remain through everything." I'd say there is only 1 or 2 division out of 6 that are not that competitive, although I would argue against saying any are a walk in the park.
    I'm not trying to be combative here I am just trying to understand the reasoning and I am putting these thoughts in public so others who may feel the same way can see they are not alone. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  7. PhiGuy179

PhiGuy179 Walk On

there you go nt, dont hate me too much now:p

• Like Like x 1
  8. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    I'd say Option 1 is the most balanced right now. Each division has at least 2 managers who have shown competence during their time in the league.

2 I don't mind because it puts me in a "better" division, but there are a couple divisions that only have one guy who has proven to know what they're doing.

3 has the same issue as 2 to me, except I'm not in the "better" division in that one.

9. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    As I said in my opening statement, there has been quite a bit of turnover lately in the league. Eighteen months ago we had numerous names on the waitlist, while in the past 5-6 months not only has it dried up but our GM count dropped from 40+ to just enough to fill the ML. While there have been numerous reasons for people departing the league, generally speaking the problem is with people becoming disinterested. This is even true for some of our current members. Whether it be them stuck GMing a team they're not really interested in or being stuck in a division where competing for them will likely be tough for a long while, interest is at a bit of a crossroads currently. It is in my belief that realigning the league will no only help to spark interest, but move GMs around in a way that will help those that still need to learn the game as well as those stuck in an impossible situation. Thus in term benefiting the long term health of the league.

While I cant say 100% for certain that the things I'm hoping to happen will in fact come to fruition; it is, in my opinion, whats best for the league currently. We're currently 30+ seasons into the file, 50+ different managers in, and with the way the file has shifted and the current state of certain teams, something really needs to change. The best way to _try_ and remedy every situation is to realign. Obviously doing this wont fix all the issues we have at the moment. I cant make people interested in the league, part of that is on the individual to take the time to learn the various teams (old and new division mates).

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I don't like any of the options, but I'm a curmudgeon. I'd rather restart the league in the current year and move managers (who are willing) around to help ensure parity.

But that's just me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. PhiGuy179

PhiGuy179 Walk On

I second that shaun mason

12. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    I think realignment is more interesting. Leagues evolve over time. The MLB has changed many times and just moved the Astros over to the AL a few years ago to balance the league. The Brewers were moved from the AL to the NL to accommodate the expansion of Arizona and Tampa Bay. The NHL recently completely restructured their divisions and conferences. Realignment allows us to freshen up the league without throwing away the 30 seasons we've had, all the work we've done, and all the players that got us here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    100% this.

14. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

But you are so talented and skilled! You would eventually rise right back to the top!

15. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Wut.

16. PhiGuy179

PhiGuy179 Walk On

It might draw more interest if guys had players on their team that they knew.

17. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    You should know the players on your own team in here...

• Like Like x 1
  18. PhiGuy179

PhiGuy179 Walk On

Like real life players, im not trying to step on yalls toes or what not im just giving perspective from a different point of view. OOTP 16 seems to be quite different than pervious years it would be nice to start back at 16 and play it out. That's just me though im fine either which way.

19. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    It is a losing game if you're restarting to get current MLB players. Within 1 month all the players will have changed, the teams would've made roster moves and you might as well restart again in 6 months so new people can get current players.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431107918.129198.jpg

Please please update this. The salaries for star players are ridiculously low.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

You haven't tried negotiating a contract renewal in ootp 2016 yet, have you? I see more ~$25k/year requests than $16k/yr

• Like Like x 2
  22. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

That's pretty cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  23. NeuroticTruth

Featured Threads:
    If anything needs to be changed I think its the minimum salary and lower end of the scale. I really dont have a problem with the superstar quality extensions right now. Hell, Josh Stephens wants over $20M a year right now at age 35.

24. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Minimum definitely needs to be raised. It's already over 480k in real life. I'd say $550k or 600k would be better, imo.

25. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

In fairness, he's playing like a MVP this season.