League Changes (Feedback Requested)

Discussion in 'Rookie Symposium' started by RRAHx2, Oct 23, 2012.

1. RRAHx2

RRAHx2 Cleared for Takeoff

Alright fellas, as you all know we've gone through our share of owners/ commishes in this league. I feel we have a great group of guys now and I appreciate everyone's contributions to the league and participation. With that being said, I don't want to lose any more owners unnecessarily. If there are ANY problems/issues you guys have with other owners, league settings, advance schedules, forum activity etc etc please talk to Matthew Keves or myself and we will do whatever we can to help. Hell I would even change teams with an owner if that meant getting another guy in the league.

Now that I have been handed the keys to this bucket (jk) is there anything you guys feel needs to be addressed right away? Any suggestions on rules, settings, forum stuff, advance speed, communication, or anything at all that needs to be addressed or changed please post it up.

I am here to make sure this league runs smooth and everyone has fun. Thanks guys.

*shit and i misspelled feedback in the title*

Matthew Keves
    GDip
    skin4lyfe
    iTsIsiah
    Troy J.
    The Rulah
    Elemnt
    NateDawg
    Fast Feet Pete
    CTfromDC
    SmashMouthFB33
    Selvy9
    SFRANGER6969
    nellycuz
    mmorgan184
    oneshot24
    Anthrax78
    MS8403
    Boman5
    elefeve
    Aspect1
    Sarvinator
    Griffinator

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  2. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

A) I love the league sliders! Out of the three leagues I've played in this year I feel it gives the most sim experience for stats and gameplay.

B) I've heard some concerns about games going too quick, if this does get changed it should be only a slight change (5 sec difference in clock run off) due to keeping stats realistic.

C) It's my personal opinion that every coach should contribute something for a league wide contribution (playoff pics, draft class, team page, etc..) each season.

D) Teams that do not make the playoffs under users should be allowed to be placed in a tourney for some sort of "free to sign FA if cap permits" or something along those lines to help weaker teams build quicker and to keep interest for coaches who are only waiting for the draft.

I understand some will not agree with all of these but it's just my opinions.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RRAHx2

Yeah I agree the games go a bit fast.. there is no accel clock in the league so I was thinking bumping the qtrs up 1 minute so that would give an extra 4 mins. About 1 drive per team.

And I really C and D. Good idea man.

4. Boman5

Boman5 Walk On

All good ideas so far. I am loving this league and hopefully we can get our numbers back up to 32 soon...

5. Elemnt

Elemnt Walk On

Do it! Bump it up!

6. RRAHx2

Yeah I agree.. We have GREAT teams open, idk why its so hard to get people. Recruit fellas recruit!

7. XWarriorMonk

XWarriorMonk Walk On

I love the league sliders right now they are great, I personally think organizing the forum in a little bit of a different way, I think it would make the league more appealing if we had our league forum look really organized. I'm fine with navigating the forums , but its just an idea . Also I agree with making games a bit longer. Last thing, kinda ties in with what @Anthrax76 said for league wide participation each owner should be required to do something on the site . Like he said team pages, draft info, etc.! Whatever it ends up being I think it should be a fun little side aspect of the league outside of the game itself. I think that the more we put into small details like that makes the league enjoyable on more levels than just the game. I will volunteer for anything I can type up all kinds of cool league stuff, maybe make a coaches corner sub forum, or maybe an ESPN sub forum that people can post anything they feel about the league, I'd be willing to type out and maintain articles and info almost daily

8. Elemnt

Elemnt Walk On

I think what we have currently going the preview, game of the week etc is already great. The bottom line is we need more participation. I don't think we need more "mandatory articles" so to speak. You can only read so much. What's being done is great but we need to see daily posts by almost everyone in the offtopic thread and then everyone comment about every game in the game recaps.

9. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Love the idea of a non-playoff team tournament for those that want a couple games during the week or two that the playoffs take. Maybe a round robin group thing so everyone can get a couple, although the more games there are, the harder scheduling becomes and all that, but something would be great.

I haven't really felt games are too quick, I don't mind longer games but once you start going over the hour mark to play, it gets to be a bit much. But it seems to be a consensus so I'm not gonna put up a stink if that's where we're headed. (Although Anthrax did have a drive that lasted almost a entire quarter against me, lol, I did have 2 or 3 chances to get off the field and couldn't get a stop on 3rd down, but maybe an extra minute a quarter or something might be more realistic, I dunno)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

LOL...sorry Selvy, the funny thing was I think I only got 3 points off of that one (after a challenged play fumble) but yeah, after I checked the clock it was only a minute and some change left in the third. I don't mind the length either but if the play time clock was boosted maybe 5 seconds it would help especially against run-heavy teams.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Matthew Keves

Matthew Keves Walk On

Ok so apparently I've been moved up to co-commish or second commish as it appears Snoz has left...good to know :)

I think it's going to be tough to get back to 32 guys...this game has been out for a while and guys tend to prefer to start in a league or join very early before a lot of the league history is set. I'd recommend we focus on recruiting guys in the offseason since we'll only be 1 season in and there are other leagues (I was in 1 so I know) that aren't run nearly as well as ours and might have a few defectors or guys looking for a second league.

That being said, if we've got a committed 22-24 guys, this will continue to be an excellent league. Again, we're not forcing guys to add content, but I think the guys that do will all tell you that it does make the league a better experience for them and everyone else.

I definitely think with the accel clock working there needs to be an adjustment...I think the goal should be to make the games as realistic as possible and that means running about 60 plays/gm each. If we can do that while keepign the games to about 50-55 minutes, we should do that. I think most guys are pretty good about picking plays quickly, so we can do it.

As RRAHx2 said, let us know if there's anything we can do to make the league better. Thanks to everyone for being great league members so far!

• Like Like x 3
  12. nellycuz

nellycuz I'm an educated fool w/ $$ on my mind.

I think the "no manual player movement on defense" rule should be looked at. For me, I like controlling the SS most of the time and the way Troy plays he comes to the line sometimes and drops back , he plays in the middle of the field with lbs sometimes and blitzes etc. I'd like to be able to move him manually. I think on fgs maybe do not allow it but I don't see an issue with just moving the player you control....just my opinion

13. RRAHx2

OK we will give it consideration.

Any other owners have input on this?
    nellycuz
    mmorgan184
    oneshot24
    Anthrax78
    MS8403
    Boman5
    elefeve
    Aspect1
    skin4lyfe
    GDip
    Matthew Keves
    The Rulah
    Troy J.
    iTsIsiah
    Fast Feet Pete
    NateDawg
    CTfromDC
    Elemnt
    thecajunnacho78
    SFRANGER6969
    SmashMouthFB33
    Selvy9
    roll2tide

14. BluRuin

BluRuin Walk On

I agree the restriction should be removed, on defense anyway. I think as long the player uses the one they move, and they don't try to shoot the A gap all the time (confuse the AI) it should be alright. Special Teams no though.

15. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

Yeah special teams is a BIG hell no for me, I really do not have a problem with it unless you bring safeties all the way to the line of scrimmage (unless its a nickle strong set) or manually moving the corners in (placing the cb slightly left or right to the wr gives them an AI advantage on slants and fly routes). I'm a believer in eight in the box format anyway. My only issue with it maybe is that it gives the defense a distinct advantage with BOTH run and pass plays if you bring the saftety in and after the snap if you're running a cover 2-man, switch off the saftety fast for pass plays or manually bring them in for run stopping. In other words it is almost like running a "better show blitz" but PA kills this play and so does a fly slot route so I think it balances. People just can't complain about TE routes or slot routes getting exploited then. Just my opinion but I think its ok.

16. roll2tide

roll2tide Walk On

• Participation/New Owners-A previous poster was correct about guys moving on. I'm a year 'round Madden player but most aren't. I think the key is keeping things going with as much of a core group as possible and using that as a selling point to bring in good, dedicated, sim owners. Quality over quantity. I'm in 3 full non TSO leagues....there are a few guys in each that would fit well here. I'll ask.
    • Quarter length-I've only played one game but with the accel clock I think an extra min or two would be good.
    • I think defensive presnap movement is ok (NOT special teams) with 2 stipulations. 1)You must control that player post snap(you can switch off if the play is going elsewhere but don't drop Troy P into the box and switch off right at the snap. Man up and play his assignment manually. 2)Implement a 5-7 yard movement rule. You can move that S up.....you just can't stack him on the MLB or right on the DE's butt. this allows movement but sets a clear line to limit exploitations.

• Like Like x 1
  17. nellycuz

nellycuz I'm an educated fool w/ $$ on my mind.

if it causes too big of an issue, I'm fine without moving the players but it would be more realistic (in my instance anyways) if we could move one player. But if we think some people will abuse it then it's not worth making the rule change...I do think the we should add a minute or 2 on the quarters and keep accel clock, good point roll2tide

18. RRAHx2

hmm.. ok going off the previous replies, I'm leaning towards removing it. Just waitng to hear from some more of the owners.

19. The Rulah

The Rulah Walk On

Regarding defensive manual player movement.... I think it is fine and sometimes necessary to allow manual movement. However, I think it should be limited to safeties and linebackers. Maybe allow for D linemen to move from side to side (because some formations don't allow you to move the DE further to the left or right with the D line shifts). I do not think you should be able to manually move a D linemen into coverage (i.e. you take a DE off the line and manually cover a receiver with him or drop back into deep zone coverage).

20. The Rulah

The Rulah Walk On

For the next season I would like to bring up custom playbooks. The playbooks that are mostly designed for mobile QBs (Eagles, Panthers) do not have any true zone running plays for the RB. That bugs me quite a bit. Also, thus far while playing in this league and playing randoms using the quick match option, I have not run into any 'money' plays that I have felt powerless to stop. The strategy of the schemes and custom playbooks is one of the most enjoyable parts of the game for me.

21. RRAHx2

Hmm.. I didn't even know you could use custom playbooks in online play.

22. Matthew Keves

Matthew Keves Walk On

I'm against the manual movement because IMO it's too easy to manipulate, even if only once or twice a game and sometimes not even on purpose. Just because you don't think your movement is manipulating the AI, that's not necessarily the case. Then someone complains and it's a big issue.
    Basically, I think it's too easy to abuse and too tough to tough to enforce. Do I trust the guys in this league? Yes, but I've been in other leagues that have almost been ruined by guys screwing around with basic rules unnecessarrily.
    I'd never fight it too hard if there's a vast majority, but I think there are other ways to shift or move coverages around pre-snap that it's not worth the potential headaches of having manual movement.

As for the clock, I think we should go back to 10 mins with the accel clock. I'v mentioned this before, but I think the goal should be for each team to run 60ish plays, since that's about the NFL average. If you're running a balanced offense and calling plays quickly, it shouldn't take much more than an hour unless it's a really close game, and at that point, what's 10 extra minutes? If you're up big, get the game over with and move to the next week.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

This.

24. BluRuin

BluRuin Walk On

Matthew Keves has a good point on player movement, I think I might be undecided now :confused: but in regard to quarter length, I would like it to be lengthened but some teams are pretty high scoring already let alone adding another 2 mins per quarter.

25. Elemnt

Elemnt Walk On

Yeah I vote against the manual movement unless like we've talked about before, you're moving a guy over to play man, and you're him. Or if you're manually controlling the safety you can take a stride left or right as long as you're manually controlling presnap. No you shouldn't be able to run up to the LB's or to the Line etc.