League conference alignment

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by Drifterbub, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    So now that we have more users in the designated BCS conference, should we do anything to keep it all interesting?

Currently we have 7 users in the PAC-12. I'm not really excited about letting Keller have free roam in the B1G as Ohio State (DAMN YOU LAWDOG FOR NOT TAKING Illinois!!!). Lawdog is riding solo in the MAC while Mustang, Khaalis and Bond are all spread out in C-USA.

So we should think about a few things before we move into season 1. Should we artificially move people into the B1G? Technically both Illinois and Minnesota opened up, so I would have no problem moving users into there. Should we wait it out another year? Give Keller a head start and hope that some of the B1G positions that are in limbo open up?

What are everyone's thoughts?

2. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

I would love to get out of Washington State and go to Minnesota or back to Ball State.... i shouldnt even be considering a user with this current crop...

3. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Schedule rape Keller.

4. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Yeah I considered that as well.

5. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

I don't think we should move people. All moves should be done via Coaching Carousel in my opinion. Just load Keller up with user games like you normally do. :)

6. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I feel like I've been dealt an unfair hand in scheduling for 2 seasons straight - now we're going to do it for a 3rd straight season?

I have no problem letting JR move - clearly that was unintentional - he shouldn't be punished for it. I think we should get him back to Ball St at the very least.

As far as artificially moving someone to the B1G - I think we sort of have a slippery slope. At what point am I rewarded for any hard work/strides made in my coaching career? I won 3 straight coach of the year awards and went to 4 straight MAC title games and produced a BCS bowl team. You can argue the legitimacy of all of it because of poll logic and what not but by and large I think its safe to say that while I have sucked on the recruiting trail, I have been pretty successful thus far. At what point am I allowed to be rewarded for that?

Now I'm at Ohio State, which is clearly an enormous prize and I'm very excited about it - but it won't be a prize really if the chips are continually stacked against me. IMO its unfair to always be stripped or have all of my 'winnings' mitigated. I always have the most user games and while I haven't looked at everyone else's non-conf schedules I think its safe to say I've been dealt one of the more difficult hands, schedule wise, year after year as well. Where do we just say - okay, Keller has earned a season to try and right the OSU ship in the B1G by himself?

Now, I'm not trying to throw a pity party. I just want to be treated fairly. As usual I will go along with whatever everyone thinks is the right move. I'm just happy being at OSU, nonetheless.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

Its not even scheduling that concerns me, its whether we are wasting this season? Im going solo in the MAC, CUSA is down to three schools, with one User clearly wanting out.

If we are going to be moving conferences anyway, im just not sure I like having to use CC to determine that. We shouldn't let it dictate the league.

The Pac 12 has worked out, and right now the Big 10 hasn't. Hell the SEC offered me five different jobs last night, big 10 just offered me one. I dont want the luck of the draw to determine how much fun the league has, which is primarily determined by conference alignment and User games.

I will agree with what everyone wants to do, just before we get started we should think about evening out the conferences.

Right now its:

Pac 12 - 7
    BIg 10 - 1
    MAC - 1
    CUSA - 3

Im just not sure its in the best interests of the league for this type of disparity.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

that bad part about it is, we might not be able to get into the Big 10 next season based solely off the coaching carosel which everyone admitted last night has some errors.....

9. Bondzai

Let's say you move JR back to Ball State.....does that mean he is now whoever the current coach is at Ball St and the JR Rawlins coach is still at WSU?

You can't transfer the coaches can you?

10. Keller

Yeah I'm pretty sure thats what will happen.

11. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Everyone could have had a chance to move if we would have just let CC work it's magic instead of forcing a two conference setup, IMO.

The CPU has been tough enough to mitigate conference balance issues.

12. OMlawdog

Buffalo was one of the better teams in the MAC when we started. Unfair hand? Akron and Eastern Michigan were dealt unfair hands, you got a decent MAC team and had a nice run. Also, I played Pac 10 teams last year as well, also played a top 10 Arkansas team and I didn't bitch while I lost. Come on man.

Considering you freaking gave up before the last MAC championship because you throwing a pity party, its safet to say you getting the OSU job was very lucky. But hey, you got one of the 5 best jobs in the league, you should be thrilled. How is that not enough of a reward? Do you want unlimited scholarships to go with it? I mean at what point do you say, "I got my dream job, hopefully I won't be playing the CPU in the Big 10 all year" Don't you want the big 10 to actually be competitive?

This is beyond comical. You are freaking OSU and you are worried about someone getting a job at Michigan State? Really? You got a team that Im just guessing is all 90 OVR and above at a school which almost every pitch should be an A+, and somehow you are worried about if we schedule you a game against Bama?

ALso, Right the ship? in the Big 10 by yourself? SO, not only do you want OSU, you want a year to reload? Seriously? Do you not see how fucked up that thinking is? OSU is all over recruits boards, they are a power house team, and yet you want a year to yourself in the big 10? REally? How about two years, so that you can get back to a 6 star status? I mean you are going to have to struggle as a 4 star program for a year, Im not sure how you are going to do it.

WOn't you get bored playing 8 CPU conference games? Im staring that right in the face, and Im already bored. I didn't sign up for this league to play the CPU 8 times and win a conference championship game against the CPU.

OSU is a top 5 gig in the whole damn game. At this point you should welcome all comers. By claiming you need a year to yourself to "right the ship" is just a joke. I was a little on the fence on this, but this sealed it for me.

I think if JR and the remaining CUSA and myself want to move to the big 10, we should be able to. If the only argument is that we are worried that freaking THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY may not be treated fairly, then I don't think we have any real concerns.

• Like Like x 1
  13. OMlawdog

I disagree about the CPU being tough enough. Oregon State won the Pac 12 in year 1. UTEP and RICE both only lost once or twice to the CPU. It seemed to me that we started passing the CPU last season. Now I may be wrong, but overall I didn't think they put up as much as fight last year.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Keller

Buffalo was not that good. I think this argument is pure shit IMO.

I had other issues, and still do, going on in my life outside of the MAC championship. Did your bullshit help? No. But there were other factors beyond whats been said on the forum. Say what you want about me, but user games are stressful for me and OSU is a 4 star program with plenty of B pitches. OSU isn't what it used to be. Its still a top program, but its not some 6 star juggernaut.

I just want to be treated fairly, that is all.

See above.

Like I said, just trying to right the ship. Maybe you're overlooking how absolutely terrible I've been recruiting wise.

mmmk

If I recall you had the opportunity to and didn't take it. Are there other factors at work? Absolutely. But you still had a B1G job signed and sealed and didn't take it.

15. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    False. BIG False.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bondzai

I almost passed out from laughing so hard at this. Seriously if you can't handle user games then you shouldn't be in this league.

Besides that, don't you run an all user Madden league? How does that not give you a stroke?

17. Keller

No comment.

We play games at an entirely different pace and its an entirely different game/dynamic. That said, when I play them, yes I still stroke out.

18. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    1) You aren't entitled to shit. So get that out of your mind.

2) Contrary to your own self-centered beliefs, this league doesn't exist to shit on you.

3) Stop complaining about factors that you can't control. It's a game and you can't expect the logic to be flawless (or in this case reward you while hindering others).

4) Your schedule hasn't been that much harder than Lawdog's. It's in the best interest of the league. It's what happens when you handily win every CPU game.

Now that this is all out of the way....

I think Lawdog brings up a lot of good points. I don't want to feel like we are burning a season for the guys outside of the PAC-12 + JRrawlins simply because of the aforementioned "broken" logic or to just "reward" Keller with a head start at one of the most premier coaching jobs in the nation.

19. OMlawdog

We have had rules in the past that you couldn't take certain jobs because we wanted league balance. No one had a problem with you taking OSU, and I have no problem with you taking OSU, I really don't, but lets not pretend OSU is somehow a fixer upper. I mean come on, we both know that OSU is a damn good program. Its a top 5 job in the game. Is anyone actually arguing that it isn't?

I don't see another job in the Big 10, except maybe Wisconsin that is comparable to the OSU job.

We are trying to do what is best for the entire league. No one is saying you can't have OSU, but to want to have OSU and crush the CPU for a season or two, just isn't what this league is about.

20. Bondzai

I'm not even trying to be a dick here. If I hated user games that bad I could not play in this league. I actually enjoy the user games way more than the CPU games, that's what makes this league fun.

21. Keller

Being entitled to something and earning something are two different things. As per usual everything I say gets blown out of proportion.

What was the point in using CC again?

IMO if we wanted to simulate realistic coaching movement, we could have done that ourselves with our own system.

22. Bondzai

You can't "earn" the right to be in a conference by yourself.

23. OMlawdog

We said from the beginning we wanted to try the CC and see how it would work. It has worked pretty well overall, but it has some flaws. Those flaws have generated good things - Sand to ASU and some bad things - JR, Shaun and Khaalis not getting offers for jobs in conferences that work.

Its not perfect, that is why we said we weren't going to be held hostage by the CC. Now if the league wants to go that way, I will gladly do that. It appears some do, which I don't have a problem with.

24. Keller

Like I said - IMO its a slippery slope. You have to start assigning people jobs instead of letting the in-game logic do it. What has anyone earned? How do you gauge that? How do you determine who goes where? How do you keep it fair?

25. Keller

Technically I didn't - Lawdog turned down the B1G offer he had. Like I said, I realize there were other factors at work - but he did nonetheless have the opportunity and declined it.