League Details

Discussion in 'Where Amazing Happens: NBA2k14 Online Association' started by DC, Oct 1, 2013.

1. DC

DC Shake n Bake

Will update this over the next few days.

All-Star / 82 games / Normal speed / 10 minute quarters

• Like Like x 1
  2. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

I assume SIM settings? Also, is this what we're definitely doing or will there be a discussion/vote?

3. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

I think a discussion is good to give everyone a voice. I'm for what's listed above but I'll go with the majority as long as it still stays within the realm of sim.

4. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

Ten minutes is way too long... Which is why I am reluctant to join.. FIFA matches take 30 minutes max.. Don't have the attention span for a game that will take over an hour...

5. majesty95

Well, soccer is traditionally low scoring and your taking about a couple goals per game. That's much easier simulated with shorter games than those which have 100 plus scores. I don't really want to play over an hour either but Bondzai has been getting games under and hour at 10 and that's what I've experienced too. However, we need to keep as many as possible happy. I still think everyone needs to play more games on their own to truly see how long they take....

6. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

I will give ten minutes a few more chances then to see what kind of time frame I get...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

For what it's worth I just played Cavs-Lakers, 10 minute quarters on SIM settings. Got the game done in around ~50 minutes against the CPU. Overcame a 20 point halftime deficit to win 95-88 ... was a lot of fun!

• Like Like x 1
  8. majesty95

Just played a game in 10 min, all-star, simulation with the T-Wolves and lost to the Bucks 91-85. The game took 54 minutes including 41 free throws.

9. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

41 free throws! Thats definitely more than double what I had ... you guys must have been driving to the lane all day. Funny that we had the same score.

Gotta say, I'm loving how the AI plays in this game on All Star. The Lakers posted Kobe up on Waiters a lot and ran some nice sets, but really struggled when Kobe wasn't on the court. I think the biggest thing to make sure the games don't take an hour.5 is to run plays and shoot later in the shot clock. That's not to say run a play ever time down the floor, but even when I wasn't running sets I would walk the ball down court and run some pick and roll action with Kyrie/Waiters/Jack + Verjejao/Thompson/Bennett/Bynum. The awesome thing about the P&R in this game is that the defense does a great job of rotating and protecting the paint. This means that sometimes a swing man will rotate to the open spot for an option shot. You can either take the shot (which I did with Earl Clark for the go-ahead basket at the end of the game), drive and maybe kick, or hesitate to attract help D and make the extra pass. Very realistic!

Consider me a 10 minute quarter convert!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Also, Drifterbub can we get the league title to change to reflect that it's a 2K14 OA?

11. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

I jumped the gun... Had to play some offliners since my internet just crashed.. Played a ten minute quarter game and it took about 56 minutes.. So not as bad as I thought.. Got my but killed though on the reccomended settings!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. majesty95

Honestly, I shot a ton of 3's. I think 2/3 of the fouls shots were by the CPU. I'm not good at setting plays and executing an offense yet so hopefully that will improve lol

13. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

It looked like getting my butt killed was going to be my fate against the CPU Lakers, but like I said, overcame a 20-point deficit at halftime and won by 7. Gotta just chip away at leads and not try to get it all back at once. Having Kyrie also helps!

As for getting offensive plays down ... it's helpful to just have an understanding of what each play is meant to do. For instance, "Horns" plays have two bigs flash up top to initiate the action. A "Floppy" play gives the player the play is called for an off ball screen -- love these. "Flex" plays generally a screen and roll plays -- these are hard to run at first because it just shows you the spot on the floor to move to, but once you realize that the big by that spot is coming to set a screen, they can be deadly. Once you get an understanding of the terminology it definitely helps. Also, if you just hold L1 the CPU will call the best play for that situation, which works pretty well.

As for quarter length and ~50 minute games. Definitely on the longer side but I enjoy getting realistic stats. And when you think about it -- 2K's OA is set up to be run differently than an NCAA dynasty (in which games take around an hour as well). You're not going to be burning through several seasons during the release. It's more about enjoying the grind that is an 82 game NBA season.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

So krtgolfing can we confirm you as a member!?

15. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

Trying to decide... Do not want to commit and play one game then leave... Learned that the first time not to look like an ass.. Will let you know asap!!

16. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Appreciate that. We'd obviously love to have you, so hopefully you come around. We'll be moving at a slow enough pace, and with flex scheduling (can play any game at any time) it's not too big of a commitment!

17. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

Good deal.. The scheduling is my big issue since being in school my schedule is always changing and fifa matches only take about 25 minutes and the dugout can take as long as 10 or so minutes or longer if you want depending on time.. If I decided to join which conference would you need a team in??

• Like Like x 1
  18. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

West would work better, but really whatever you'd be most interested in. As for scheduling, I think as with any league on TSO these are adults with jobs/family/school ect... so the league will tailor to everyone's time. With an 82 game sched and so many CPU controlled teams, the cpu games will be easy to play whenever. And the user games might occasionally be a challenge but it's worth a shot.

Sorry to pester but as you can see I really want to make this happen. Loving the gameplay in 2K this year, and my Cavs are finally awesome to play with again, but no LeBron cheese lol

19. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

Hey I totally get it.. Any chance to see a list of the teams who were picked.. I need a really good team to be competitive since I am not the best but as you mentioned it is a great game!

• Like Like x 1
  20. majesty95

I suck too so you'll have company in the basement ;)

• Like Like x 1
  21. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

1. BK - Thunder
    2. Spayer419 - Cavs
    3. xxkimura - Warriors
    4. CTfromDC - Wizards
    5. Glen Cieske - Bucks
    6. jandy - Pacers
    7. majesty95 - T'Wolves
    8. KNICKSFAN_84 - Knicks
    If you're really hunting for a contender, the Clip Show, Rockets and Spurs would all provide a competitive opportunity out West.

22. DC

DC Shake n Bake

Playoffs..

You guys want to go a realistic

7 games
    Or
    333 5 for champs
    Or
    111 3 for champs

Also im looking at 58 games. I think at 80 games. People will get burned on playing the cpu so much.

23. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

Realistic!!! and 58 games if we are doing 10 minutes!!

24. guitarDADDY1208

guitarDADDY1208 Walk On

Realistic would be great. My experience with 2k leagues you're very fortunate to keep 16 guys involved till the end and at that size we could see an all user playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  25. majesty95

I think with the concern over season length, game length, etc. that we go 58 games and 3-3-3-5. Normally, I'm a proponent of realism in every aspect but since the NBA is more of a statistical averages league as opposed to totals we can skim there to offset the 10 min quarters. We'll still likely have to som some CPU games and stuff but that would be more manageable for most people I would think.

• Like Like x 1