League Discussion

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Jason T., Oct 26, 2011.

1. Jason T.

Jason T. Walk On

Serious question... seems like half the league lets the CPU play. I couldn't play my game last week because systemhead can only respond 1 time out of 3 or 4 days. I have the worst team but the best record (I might've lost my game to systemhead since it was simmed, I didn't care to check). Already have close to around 10 spots open, none have been filled... like hova said. It's a joke.

I only came here for a legit league, I could've got these results from joining a random dynasty through the console.

2. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

It all starts at the top. Lead by example, make the league interesting for the other members and be involved.

None of that is happening and the commissioner is on auto pilot/ tank mode.

Keller should be embarrassed. Its an awful way to run the only premier Madden league on the site.

Why should the rest of us even care? He doesn't.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Quattro

Quattro Moonwalking in a field of landmines

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

4. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Just because I'm throwing the season does not mean I don't care. However, the morale is about as low as I've ever seen and if you want to blame me thats fine but as I mentioned I autopiloted last year's season 1 as well and we never seemed to have a problem then. I think the issues go beyond just that.

If new owners have problems getting their games in, that needs to be brought to my attention so it can be handled.

If everyone wants to throw in the towel, that's their business, but the league marches on with or without them. The league does not exist without my efforts over the past year and if everyone chooses to quit because the commissioner is on autopilot, I cannot stop them, nor do I want to. I would have preferred that people brought their frustrations about differently but I wouldn't have changed anything to this point outside of the Noel Devine debacle. Season 1 is more about hitting our stride, trimming the fat and learning how the system works than it is about anything else.

I always autopilot Season 1 because the Bills are awful and need rebuilt - the fastest way to do that is the draft. I'm not going to hide and act like I'm playing against people when really I'm purely interested in getting to the draft. Would it have mattered if I were playing games and purposefully losing? It may have seemed better or less people would have noticed but that's just not who I am. I'm not going to sit through user games just so people don't notice what I'm doing. I have nothing to hide. I'm just going to let people play the CPU and the owners that are ready to win right now fight it out for a championship.

The perception may be that things are bad right now, and people want to jump ship because of that but I say let them. This is the exact same process we went through last year and I'm sure that people will tell you how seasons 2-5 went and they were much better than season 1.

That's just my opinion and I'm running the league as best I'm capable. Given that the recent comments and complaints by Fuzzy, Bringbackjimmy, Masler, ET AL have drawn the ire of site administration, I may not be running things for too much longer but again I stand by the decisions and direction of the league thus far. You guys want to run me out of here, that's on you, but you won't find a more active, passionate player on the site than me. I don't always do things right but I'm giving it my best shot which is more than you can say for most.

5. sibellius

sibellius Too legit to quit

I can vouch for the fact that the last few seasons were awesome but I think that had a lot to do with the fact that you were busting your ass to make it a great league. I think I can speak for a lot of us when I say it just seems like your hearts just not in it anymore. If you got shit going on at home or work I understand but we need someone to step up here if the TMFL is going to stay afloat.

6. SatansAngel1104

SatansAngel1104 Walk On

1. Why didnt we just sim the first season and start it off with a draft... (Everyone loves their rookies and building a team)

2. Keller IS NOT the problem... Keller actually runs this really well. Even with being on autopilot he is still doing the things he needs to do...
    Its not his main job to police owners for content.

3. ********************************************************************************************************
    ********************************************************************************************************

THE GAME JUST SUCKS THIS YEAR​

***************************************************************************************************​
    ***************************************************************************************************​

4. Id have more fun, with a simmed league where all we did was the offseason lol. (Oh wait thats what offline mode is)

7. Keller

There are many factors at work here beyond just what everyone sees, certainly. I appreciate the comment though, sincerely.

All I can say to everyone is let things work themselves out - they will in due time. Part of this process is finding out who really wants to be here, the truth is never pretty. I can assure you though, I would not have spent the countless hours organizing everything with Huskie if I didn't have my heart in it - running this league is not for just anyone.

I'm waiting to hear from site admins about whats going to happen - I've been given no indication that anything will happen but my gut says something will. If that means me stepping down, that means someone has to step up. I have asked multiple times for people to do so and no one has volunteered. In that case the league will either fold or I will continue to run things as best I can, as I always have.

8. Keller

1. I proposed this league setup and the idea was met with pretty fierce opposition. Be that as it may, I decided to "sim" my first season by myself.

2. Thank you for saying that I'm not the only one to blame. While I agree that I am to blame to some degree, others can produce content just as easily as I can.

3. Agreed. Thankfully it didn't stop us last year and won't this year if I have anything to say about it.

4. We may be the only people who think like this but yes, I agree that would be a fun experiment. The GMFL has something like that where they sim certain seasons and play others.

9. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    You can rebuild the Bills via tanking seasons offline. This is an online league and you are the commissioner. You passive approach to letting the league float on is some pretty bunk-ass logic that obviously only reaps positive circumstances for yourself. Sulking in such selfish acts has even allowed you to convince yourself that you are running the league to the best capacity. Stop it.

The is a sim website with sim leagues. Following the same reasoning on why the Noel Devine debacle was so stupid, purposefully tanking a season in order to get a good draft pick should ring some bells. Isn't winning championships with a lesser team more rewarding?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Question: Was season 1 of TMFL last year simmed?

11. Keller

"Suck for Luck"

While I agree that some owners will take issue with the fact that someone is "tanking" a season, it should not be something that pulls the league to a screeching halt. I standby my decision and direction of the league, as I stated earlier.

The Bills, as they are currently constructed, are incapable of beating very good players with very good teams (See the Saints and Falcons.) While I agree that winning isn't everything, building a team your own way is a lot of fun. Sucking or not sucking has nothing to do with it - they are on autopilot for season 1 - nothing more nothing less. I still managed the salary cap and proposed trades in order to get into position to try and build this team through the draft.

12. Keller

Season 1 of the SMFL was played. I sat out that season just like I am doing so here.

Season 1 of the TMFL was simmed, mostly because season 1 of the SMFL was already played and we merged with the TMFL so we went straight to the draft.

13. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    'Suck for Luck' is a fandom chant. If it were actually true, the team would lose so much money that everyone in a managerial position would be fired. I'm guessing that you weren't using that a serious exhibit to your argument.

You can build a team your own way offline. This is an online league. You have openly stated that you are tanking this season in order to get a high draft pick. This should not be allowed based on the principles this site is founded on. If you were on auto for some legitimate reason (time and 'just because' are not valid), then it would be a different story. Your members obviously have a problem with your lack of participation.

• Like Like x 2
  14. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

How is being on auto-pilot sim? Its not. Especially considering that every team that plays you is going to win, therefore giving you a chance at the #1 draft pick. I wonder if you even played the game, of you'd even try to win? If simming the first season was your intention you should have done so. Your actions are the opposite of what TSO stands for. How you can justify it, im bewildered.

How is being on autopilot being active? Its not, would you honestly accept another member being on autopilot all year? If so, then you don't get it.

Whoever said its up to the rest of us to contribute, I agree to a point. The commissioner should lead with content and playing games and the rest will follow. Not the other way around. The successful leagues around here for example the legacy are successful because of the vision and desire of their commissioners. The more work leadership puts in, is more your members do.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Keller

You should know by now that my personal situation has certainly had an impact on my time for gaming - leagues included. Couple that with the fact that I want to sim season 1 anyway and you see the end result.

I don't see how my playing games changes anything - at all - but if that will appease everyone then so be it.

Everyone can expect to see some major changes in the league, starting now. Our first point of emphasis will be the advance schedule and ownership.

16. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Wanting to do something and doing what is right, in this case, are two different things. You will have to remind me of your personal situation (privately), because it's slipping my mind.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

What a cluster fuck

WTF is going on around this MF'ing place!!!

• Like Like x 2
  18. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    LOL

• Like Like x 3
  19. Jason T.

Jason T. Walk On

I was in no way blaming Keller for this league, but everyone in a whole. What even happened to game recaps? Take a look in that section and you will find the league quit caring few weeks ago. I have no idea why, I was having a great time, even though I only get to play a human every 4 games. The way everyone was just chatting it up in general has ceased. I'll keep on but I would say fuck this season and just go to offseason already and recruit some guys who actually want to play other humans.

• Like Like x 2
  20. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Keller

I agree that this is not all your fault. I didn't join TMFL until well into season 3 or 4 last year, so I didn't know you simmed the first season. I understand you want to rebuild, and your team is terrible, my point is that it's going to be hard to convince users they can't employ the same tactics down the road, when the commish did it himself.

Everyone is guilty for no content, myself included. I know it's a lot of work to run a league, but it's your job to crack the whip, and get everyone in line with your expectations. I'm glad that this is now happening. As others have said, when you lead by example, it makes it much easier. I love my team, and this league has been great fun for me for quite some time, so I'd just like to see it restored to it's former glory days.

21. Keller

Rest assured its going there - people need to fall in line or gtfo of the way.

22. hoppedupford

hoppedupford Walk On

It is boring playing the computer.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

I'm not going to say its all Kellers fault but just because you didn't get your way doesn't mean you can just tank the season and not play your games. Its childish and provides an unfair advantage. If you didn't want a crappy team don't select a crappy team.

• Like Like x 1
  24. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Okay, as someone who was here from SMFL and TMFL, we did simulate the first season of TMFL and once you get into the offseason stuff it gets more exciting, yes. But to sit here and outright blame Keller because of the league suffering is wrong. Does anyone not remember SMFL? We were playing the CPU just about every other week and yet we all still enjoyed it. When we became TMFL, he was doing weekly podcasts and Swami segments and really put a lot of work into it, but does anyone know why people were putting so much work into it...............because we all were putting effort into the league and had a really great group of guys on board as the league. The league ran smooth with a few speed bumps but it ran smooth.

Now granted I haven't played the game yet this year, or been in the league but I have caught up on all the happenings of the league and I can say that it has changed a lot since I was there. A lot of small little complaints that seem to develop into big b*tch sessions on the board last year would have been handled via private messages or direct contact on xbox live chat with people. We all got together and had a great group and I see a lot of familiar faces and some unfamiliar now I come back in about 3 weeks and when I do, I'll pick whatever team I take and build them, you can ask anyone I took a pretty weak ass Browns team and built em up. I took my lumps with them at points but enjoyed the league as a whole.

The first season is going to be rough because yeah, your going to lose a lot of guys who just aren't in it for the long run. Yes, morale will drop but once season one offseason and seasons 2 3 4 5 all started it was great and everyone loved it. So be patient, bare with it, and drive on.

As for Keller tanking it to get Andrew Luck, well is it no different then a few years ago when we had the "Toilet Bowl" game in the NFL for the rights to the number one pick. Or when a team that is losing decides to "give the young guys some time to build up their ratings for the next season"? Not really, he does risk guys getting serious could potentially be career ending injuries, and if your finding playing the computer to easy, well then like we have in the past, tweak the difficulty settings or the settings in general and make it more competitive.

But the negativity needs to stop cause it will just drag things down worse. If you want the league to be great again, then it all starts with US, not Keller. The more effort we put into it, the more effort that the leadership puts in because it motivates them to want to take it to another level. I mean the write ups we used to do last season, some of us put a lot of effort into them and had some great board discussions. So put some positive energy in, and you'll see it back ten fold. I know this in this league as well as what I do in the Army. The more energy we pump out, the more energy our leaders give back to us.

Keep your heads up, and help each other, I'll be back soon regardless of who is left in the league or not, I'll be here and I'll do my best to help with whatever I can Keller

PFC Christopher Nutter
    United States Army

• Like Like x 2
  25. Jason T.

Jason T. Walk On

I don't see any player progression this year, and if there is, it's definately not based on stats. I have a rookie CB with 7 picks who hasn't gained anything.