League Discussion

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PAgamer07, Apr 16, 2012.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Hey guys. Although we are only 2 sims in, I think the excitement level is pretty high and hope everyone is enjoying things so far. We had some hiccups with people getting the file, a couple of late starters and a boneheaded commish messing up trades. :p But overall... I think things are going well.

Just wanted to open up the discussion on some things to either inform, or get some opinions. So please weigh in with your thoughts.

First, I want to remind everyone that we currently have the new Collective Bargaining Agreements enabled which are effective for the 2012 season. The change that has the biggest impact on you is this one:

• Players who spend the entire year on your roster and become free agents, if signed by another team are elligible for compensation.
    • If this player is signed by another team, AND his contract is in the top 125 of all players (around $16 million I believe) then two things happen.
    • The team who signs the player loses their 1st round pick, unless it's in the top 10. In which case they lose their next highest pick.
    • The team who lost the player, receives an extra draft pick in the supplemental round (basically round 2)
    So with the above in mind, please keep this in mind depending on your current team philosophy. If you're in rebuild mode, it may make sense to let your stud players go so you grab an extra pick. Especially if at the deadline, you are not getting an offer which is close to what you would get in the draft.

Also as I was looking at waivers/DFA, I realize I made a bit of a mistake. So please keep an eye on the time left in your DFA area. It is now changed to 12/22 days respectively. As it is right now, after the next sim, you only have 1 day to assign a guy. So if you forget, youre screwed. The new settings make it much easier to keep an eye on this, as youll have 1 whole sim once waivers expire.

Only other thing I want to confirm is that everyone is happy with the sim pace. Personally I like the 10 day sims. But just wondering what everyone else thinks? Also wondering if anyone would like to add a 4th sim per week? I'm fine either way, just curious.

As for longer or shorter sims, Im open to listening to your thoughts. Obviously, anything higher than 15 day sims would probably not be advised.
    That's all I have for now. Thanks guys.

2. ZCar352

ZCar352 Keep Pounding...Go Panthers!!!

I am enjoying this a lot even with a 2-13 record lol but I think the 10 day sim is fine.

Great Job Pagamer07 (y)

3. Dylema

Dylema Walk On

Just wondering if there will be any ill-effects with compensation and trading draft picks. I'd assume that the game will act that the traded draft picks are owned by the team that received them and not by the team who traded them. Just seems there's room for a glitch where it gives away the wrong teams draft pick. i.e. someone trades for DET #1 pick, then DET signs a top 125 player. My guess is that DET would then lose their #2 pick as compensation, but just something to keep an eye on I guess.
    Also does draft pick trading undermine compensation? It's possible that a teams first pick could be 3rd or 4th round if they traded picks away.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  4. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

So far the league seems to be running pretty smoothly, thanks Pagamer07.

• I am very happy with 10 game sims. I've only been in games with 7 game sims before and I like the pace that this brings,
    • 4 sims a week? A few of my leagues I've been in have upped the sims per week after the trade deadline. They usually skip a sim or break it into 2 right before the deadline to enable people to work out the trades. Then add a sim a week after the trade deadline so that teams out of contention don't get bored with the season. Just a thought. I'm fine with 3 or 4.

5. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

4 would be golden. i would think after the first few sims you should have a good idea of what you want to do. example, i've told myself the only moves i'll make the first 3 sims will be because of injury.

6. CeeGee

CeeGee Block-O-Nation

Question for you Pagamer07

If we advance 10 days at a time, what happens to the 3 days where we Can't set our lineups?
    - IE - the option to "paste" your lineup in the "7-day" section.

Just curious, with the AI automatically fill our lineups based on the Pitcher they are facing? Leftie vs Rightie?

PS - does anyone have the link to the Franchise so I can check things out at work :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

I would prefer 4 sims per week.

8. Fiddy14

Fiddy14 THL Commissioner

i would be fine with an extra sim a week, once we get another one or two under our belt just to make sure everyone is on same page.

then, i wouldn't seeing it change to 7 day sims.

4 sims a week, 7 day sims..

9. PAgamer07

To answer the first question, no it recognizes who has each pick. As for the second, you are correct. Whatever their first available pick is will be used as compensation.

Just remember though... Not many players are elligible for compensation. Only the top 125 contracts. So.. at the most 2-4 per season.

10. PAgamer07

Yeah I've been in several (been playing since 2004) and a lot do it differently. I love this idea. I was definitely going to condense the September into 2 sims instead of 3, so basically 15 day sims for September. I may very well consider going to 4 sims per week after the trade deadline. I think this is the best of both worlds actually.

You don't have to use the 7 day lineups. This is only if you really want to micromanage things (which is fine, but you don't have to). There are a couple boxes you can change here I believe (dont have game in front of me) But I think you can set it to use standard lineups/depth charts after the 7 days, or repeat the 7 day lineups after the 7. Also, if the starting pitcher changes, they don't do much good and it defaults to regular lineups.

I don't use 7 day lineups, and rarely have. I use regular lineups and customize my depth charts so guys get playing time when needed. A lot of people don't use them, its your call though.

I'd like to finish a whole month per week. Granted, 7 day sims would allow use of 7 day lineups, but once a pitcher changes, they use default.

11. County5

County5 Practice? I mean c'mon..

I am fine with 10 day sims. Good work Pagamer

12. Aagistar

Aagistar Walk On

I would be thrilled with 4 sims a week even though I am perfectly content with 3. I am happy with the 10 days per sim as well. Having fun so far, even at 1-12....

• Like Like x 1
  13. PAgamer07

once your guys start hitting, i think youll be fine.

14. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

I like the idea of 3 sims a week until the trade deadline then 4 a week. Best of both worlds. Other then that, having a absolute blast. This smokes High Heat Baseball six ways Sunday. Well done!

15. County5

County5 Practice? I mean c'mon..

Not to sidetrack but I just want to announce that I am HOOKED allready. :)
    If anyone has another league (preferably fictional) going or in the works let me know I'd love to join. I've been watching the OOTP boards looking for something to pop up but so far really only a few have. If its in the works I'd be willing to devote time to help out.
    Hook a brotha up man!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  16. briosu99

briosu99 6* Team Killer

I'm really having fun with this, although I haven't had the time to invest as much as I would like. I like the 10 day sims and the idea about going to 4 sims a week after the deadline. The only thing that feels slow right now is the time between the Monday sim and Thursday sim....I'm ready to see if my team can keep up the 8-2 pace of the last sim!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Norezn

Norezn Walk On

I'm in the camp of going with 4 sims per week. 3 sims have been great but that gap between Monday and Thursday is a tough one. I find myself anxiously waiting for Thursday to come :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. PAgamer07

Haha, you're not the only one. I think we'll change it to 4 sims per week after the all star break. And I will condense September into 2 sims. Hope that appeases everyone.

19. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Yeah the monday thru thursday break killed me. I have been aching to see how my Tribe did.

20. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I thought we were advancing on Wedensday and was about to get on PA's ass in the chatbox this morning, until he reminded me that I'm not a very good reader. Luckily my wife is smart.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Fiddy14

Fiddy14 THL Commissioner

well, is it possible to do 4, 7 day sims? or will we be sticking with 10 days?

22. PAgamer07

10 days.

23. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

Where can we go see if someone is eligible for compensation as a FA. For example, the computer run Phillies have Cole Hamels as FA. Is there somewhere that will show us he will cost compensation or will that kick in once the new league year starts?
    Thanks!

24. PAgamer07

Once free agency starts youll have a better idea unless they are your own player. Pretty much a contract fo I believe over $16 million qualifies, maybe a bit less. I think I read that somewhere..

25. PAgamer07

Here's another thing we never even discussed...

When OOTP 14 comes out, what do we do? Do we restart with the updated rosters. That would put at least 7 seasons in, depending on the sim pace. Closer to 8 I think, unless we went 4 sims per week year round.

The other option obviously, is run a second league concurrently with this one that is a different format that will not be restarted and will carry over from version to version. Something like fictional, or historical replay, or historical with random debuts, or fictional historical (fake players, real teams)

Just some other things to discuss.