League Rules

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Diddy81, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

League Rules

PRE-GAME AND GENERAL RULES

1.0 Depth chart changes are not permitted before the opening kickoff. Each owner is responsible for setting their depth charts weekly in the franchise. You are allowed to make a depth move during the game

A. If a player is struggling.
    B. If you are trying to prevent an injury.
    C. If the game is a blow out.
    D. Formation subs are permitted before the opening kickoff and are limited to the following:

QB (no subs)
    HB (can sub to 4th/5th WR in a 4/5 WR set)
    FB (can play FB, HB, or TE)
    TE (can play any slot WR position)
    WR (no subs)
    OLine can play any OLine position
    Dline can play any Dline position
    Lb's can play any Lb position
    SS or FS (are interchangeable)
    CB (no subs)
    KR/PR - Any player eligible

2.0 Controlling Players: You cannot pick plays and let the computer run them. You must control your QB throws and RB/RS movement at all times.

OFFENSE

3.0 - Going on 4th Down: We encourage straight play in this league, however, we do not want to limit players to the point where they cannot play aggressively. With that in mind, there will be a simple rule on 4th downs:

A. Whenever you are past the 50 yard line with 1 yard or less to go, you are permitted to for it on 4th down.
    B. If you are behind by two touchdowns or more in the second half, you can go for it whenever you like.
    C. If you are the losing team in the 4th quarter, you can go for it whenever you like.

If you have a weak kicker it must be understood before the game that you may need to go for it inside the 40-30. If it is a play like that inside the 40 for 4th and what ever and the conditions kicker will not allow success, let opponent know that this will happen through out the game.

4.0 - Motioning: Motioning by backs and receivers is allowed.

5.0– Hurry Up Offense: All teams are allowed to run the "hurry up" offense if that is your play style. Give your opponent a head's up before the game that you use this feature. Other wise keep it to the last two minutes of half/game. In 4th quarter if you are down you can use it throughout.

6.0 - Playclock Rule: We're all here to play football. Keep in mind we play 7 minute quarters in SOCOM; not 15 like the NCAA. So please choose your plays as quickly as possible on offense and make every effort to do so before the play clock gets close to running out. We do realize, however, that certain situations in the game may require some extra time when choosing a play. You may run the game clock with under 3 minutes remaining in the 4th quarter. Or if your trying to prevent another possession before the half.

7.0 - Playcalling, Mixing It Up, Play Action: Owners are expected to mix up plays on both offense AND defense. If your team falls behind early in the game, it's understandable if you become a one-dimensional offense with your passing game. As long as the game is close, we expect all box scores to reflect a concerted effort at reasonable play calling.

8.0- QB Scrambling: Unrealistic QB scrambling/sprinting is frowned upon on pass plays, including screens. Constantly dancing from sideline to sideline, running straight backwards or well behind the line of scrimmage without being under pressure is not realistic. This does not include option plays, designed QB runs or broken/pressured play situations.

9.0 - Running Up the Score: Good sportsmanship is a major part of TT, so running up the score on user opponenets will not be tolerated. Please use good judgment when leading by a large margin, even when playing the CPU.. I don’t want to see multiple 70-80 pt scoring games.

DEFENSE

Mixup your play calling on defense as well as offnse.

Defensive play calling: You can't just sit in a 3-3-5 or quarters all game. However, if somebody is running 5 WR sets all game you can play to your strength. Or situations as 2nd and long or 3rd and long.

10.0– Moving Players before snap: On defense, shifting linebackers and the defensive line is permitted. However, if you move a individual defensive player before the snap you must control that player at the snap of the ball. This includes moving a player to cover an assignment.
    Constantly spreading or pinching your DL or LBs falls under the rules for mixing up your playcalling.

11.0 – Blitzing: While blitzing is certainly a part of the game, please be realistic when doing so, and do not use it excessively. Any attempt to confuse the AI when blitzing is prohibited (ie. spreading your defensive line then shifting your LB's to create AI holes). This also falls under the rules for mixing up playcalling. DO not line up and show blitz every single snap, that is not realistic.

For future reference you may use your DE on defense however you need to engage the oline don't swoop or loop them around every time. You also may not widen them more than a defensive audible will allow.

SPECIAL TEAMS

12.0 - Fake Punts and FG’s: Any fake punt or field goal must follow the same rule used when going for it on fourth down. If you are allowed to go for it on 4th down in that situation, you can also fake the punt or field goal. Faking a FG or punt is part of the game and provides "the element of surprise," but please be realistic. These are utilized in NCAA but on a limited basis, so please keep that in mind.

13.0– Onside Kicks: Onside kicks are permitted at any time by the losing team in the 4th quarter only.

WEEKLY GAMEPLAY

14.0 - Pausing: NCAA allows a limited number of pauses during the game, so please keep that in mind. If it's ever necessary to pause the game, please provide a quick explanation to your opponent if your not utilizing your headset at that time. Pausing the game to show poor sportsmanship will not be tolerated. Please do not start a game if you know something will interfere with your playing time.

15.0- Disconnects: Games will disconnect from time to time for various reasons. It will be up to the players involved to figure out a resolution; with the choices being to either replay the game from the beginning or simulate for an obvious winner. If you cannot reach a resolution, contact the commish. TT expects all owners to have a reliable, high-speed ISP. If you are having any type of Internet trouble, please do not start the game until the problem is resolved.

16.0- Player must leave game in progress - Please do not start a game if there's a chance you will not be able to finish it. In the case of an emergency situation where you are forced to leave the game, an agreement should be made between both players as to whether the game will be replayed from the start or simulated in the opposing teams favor.

17.0 - With Socom on a “fast as we can go” schedule, missing games will be necessary at times. We simply asks that you make every effort to schedule and play your own games, but when that's not possible, we request the following:
    -- Notify your opponent via email or message board as early in the week as possible.
    -- Notify the commish that your opponent will need to play the CPU or that your CPU game will need to be simmed.
    * Failure to follow these guidelines will result in a sim loss to your team.

18.0 - There will be NO restarts on your user vs. cpu games. If I see a restart I will discuss it with you to see if there was an extenuating circumstance, but most likely any restart = automatic simulation of your game. The 2nd time.. = a simulation loss. There is no shame to losing to the CPU.. our difficulty and sliders will be targeted towards realistic challenge levels based on the caliber team the CPU is controlling… ie: CPU Ohio St will be a bitch… CPU Duke may be abitch too

Chew Clock will be used at end of half and game situations with under 3 minutes to go. Try not to run down the clock every play outside of these situations.

Run and Pass Commit are banned in user games.

Players leaving
    A player will not be allowed to attempt to sway a player from the pro draft if he:
    is > 95 OVR
    is a JR that has won the Heisman
    is a JR and has won a major award Maxwell (player of the year) or Bednarik (defensive player of the year) and is > 90 OVR
    Kickers and punters can be swayed from pro draft regardless of OVR and class.

Scholarships
    The amount of scholarships that can be offered at any given time will be dictated by the following formula:

A = number of seniors on your team that will graduate
    B = number of underclassmen that qualify for pro draft with aforementioned rules.
    C = One additional scholarship to provide a cushion.
    D = 70 - current amount of players currently on roster

A + B + C + D = total number of available scholarships.

Note: Committed players count against your scholarship limit.

2. ZepHead

ZepHead Futbol!

Hey man, I have some questions regarding the rules:

1) Regarding the movement of defensive players - more specifically moving them as part of an assignment. If I were in a 4-3 zone defense and my opponent is in 4 Wide and I assign one OLB to a slot receiver and he moves automatically pre-snap, does it mean I have to control the OLB only during the play?

2) Chew clock - I didn't see specific rules regarding this. For example, if I am up even by 3 points, have the ball in the fourth quarter and want to play ball control offense (something similar to what Juice and the Illini did to the Buckeyes at the shoe in 2007) to run out the clock am I allowed to do that? Also if I don't want to give the other team possession in the last 2 minutes of the half?

3. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

i think it means mainly the dline.. just because some people may use exploits with shifting the dline at a certain time to disrupt the ai..

and chew clock- idk.. i think if you want to do that to a cpu opponent that is fine. unless we vote for it.. on or off..

"You may run the game clock with under 3 minutes remaining in the 4th quarter. Or if your trying to prevent another possession before the half."

4. ZepHead

ZepHead Futbol!

I have an extra rule suggestion: users should not be allowed to manually control a DE, preferably any d-lineman before snap. I've played online games where someone puts the controlled DE out wide, blows past the Tackle and camps in my backfield all day. Not saying that people here will do it, but it wouldn't hurt to have it explicitly mentioned as a rule don't you think? EDIT: Just read your post. I think we're talking the same thing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, what about the steps for recourse if someone exploits the AI and/or breaks the gameplay rules? I don't think every play is recorded as a highlight that can be saved, so I'm wondering how this will be handled.

5. controllerabuser

your suggestion is cool but.. if you play somebody who has a fast quarterback or runs options or tosses.. you should be able to try to counter it.. im not talking about a cheeser who scrambles constantly.. i mean if take for example you are up late and your getting killed by the pass game.. you might want to get pressure on the qb by using the defensive end.. and i don't mean putting him out wide..

i think in most leagues if somebody cheeses.. it should be brought to the commish- he will then deal with.. and if it happened again they would be booted..

6. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Report it to me. I will warn them if it happens again then they will be booted.

D Linemen are not allowed to be manually moved before the snap. Pinching, sliding, and spreading done with the assigned controls is ok. But you cannot move them out wider or move them into a coverage area pre snap.

Yes you can send your LB to cover slot if you get caught in a bad defense and you do not have to control them.

7. ZepHead

ZepHead Futbol!

Playbooks!

I'm assuming that once we get to Week 1 we can change our offensive and/or defensive playbooks and run/pass ratios for our teams?

8. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Yes but you are going to post on here in scouting reports what your playbook is. To avoid people changing their playbook every game, you may use 1 other playbook or run your default playbook. But you must let your user opponent know what to expect for the week.

This probably opened another can of worms but oh well.

9. ZepHead

ZepHead Futbol!

I meant choosing one and using that playbook for the entire season. To me that's like choosing an OC/DC. I think it'll be a risk-reward system with risk being not having the right personnel and reward being continuity and associated advantages when you run a similar system each year. So if I wanted to run a spread at, say, nebraska I won't have the right players for this season but I will be forced to recruit accordingly for future seasons. Or I can go pro style with my existing players and get better at it.

I don't think changing playbooks every week is a good idea because they don't do that IRL. Install one playbook and roll with it. But that's my personal opinion and you as the commish can lay down the rules based on feedback from the rest of the guys.

10. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

You are completely right. I think I was just trying to give someone a chance to fall back on their old playbook if they aren't getting the job done. I wasn't implying that you can switch playbooks back and forth. IF you run with a different playbook you will run it til week 7. If your experiment fails you come on here week 8 and say you are going back to default. sometimes OC/DC get fired mid season!

11. ZepHead

ZepHead Futbol!

Yeah, I should be fine with that! Also, Tony Franklin/Tuberville type cases are rare - and even then they continue with the same offense because that's what the players learned in the off-season. You're doing a great job keeping us updated! Keep up the good work (y)

12. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

We will not use run commit at all. You can use pass commit when you believe your opponent will pass.

Also do not put your dline game plan as aggressive. Too many user jump snaps.

This is mainly for user v user games.

13. skipwondah33

skipwondah33 Walk On

Yeah making the dline aggressives actually makes the computer "user" jump for you, even if you are controlling a safety. When you're controlling a dline its insane how fast you get in.

14. fsuprime

fsuprime Definitely Maybe

sounds good.

15. controllerabuser

A couple of suggestions for rule changes

1. No QB sneak/FB Dive on 3rd and short or 4th and short
    - We all know how effectively these work. I was just wondering if you guys thought we should add this to the rules for user games.

2. Speed Restrictions on return men
    - A limit on speed at return?

16. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

You can use whoever to return kicks.

Umm the actual QB sneak is not that bad he just falls forward, now if you manually take your qb on a pass play and make him run forward in that type of 3rd/4th short situation I don't like. FB dive is it broken this year too I have had success stopping it without run commit.

17. ZepHead

ZepHead Futbol!

My 2 cents:

Pass commit- How about we limit this to 3rd and long (4+) and 4th downs?

I agree with banning qb sneak except at your opponent's goal line. If the defense doesn't line up with 5 or more down linemen, the new animation doesn't trigger and we have the same situation as last year - easy 4 yards for the QB.

I don't think the FB dive is unstoppable, though.

Any slider changes being considered, sdid? We all finished tops in the nation against the run and pretty bad against the pass. I feel that needs to be addressed.

18. skipwondah33

skipwondah33 Walk On

Pass commit shouldn't be a problem unless people are abusing play action, then again I don't think you should be able to use it all game either. FB Dive is definitely an easy 3-4 yards a pop as well, but I think I've only had it ran once against me all of last season, so I don't think people use that alot.

We were all ranked high against the run because either the CPU was behind and had to pass rest of the game or that just didn't run the ball at all. The CPU is going to be accurate as shit thats a given but I like the fact that it makes it difficult for us. Plus I could care less of what rank I am in team stats ( I know my total offensive rank from last year was 2nd in the nation though lol)

19. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Yeah I mean we have sim guys here. If it's 2nd and long that's as good a time to pass commit as third and long. If you are playing a team that is 70 percent pass don't coaches tell thir guys to play the odds? It's not as cheesy as the run commit so I saw use it at your discretion but not like every play.

I don't know about the sliders I was thinking this could be alil tougher but the AI can control games when they want to so I may just let them go as they are.

20. drowsike

drowsike Go DAWGS

yea.. You can pass commit everytime and still get roasted....run the ball...they will come out that pass commit

21. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Hey I'm dropping it to 6 min quarters going forward tho

22. controllerabuser

Best news ive heard!

23. drowsike

drowsike Go DAWGS

What made you decide this?

24. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

6 is plenty of time