League Setup Options

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Mags, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Mags

Mags Former MEGA PC Commish

Feb 20, 2009
    League Setup Options

All, we'll look at the basics first. I've pulled the numbers below from the game as setup options. The best approach (from my perspective) seems to be not doing a full 30 teams if we don't have 30 owners. As there is no CPU team, it will become a pain to manage, whereas it'll be easier to replace one or two owners should they drop out. Also, since this isn't an online 'franchise' but rather a season, we can plan on doing something different in the next 'season' if we'd like. Ideally, we'd like to make things like playing a series and using your whole pitching staff be important. So, here are a few options.

League Setup 1:

Divisional Format: 2 divisions
    If we go with 24 teams...
    3 game series, 1 series in division, 1 series non-division, 5 day advance =
    69 games in 16 weeks (about 4 months)

*My thought - it gives us plenty of advance time and allows for 3 game series, but you only play each team once. No real division rivalry.

League Setup 2:

Divisional Format: 2 divisions
    3 game series, 2 series in division, 1 series non-division, 3 day advance =
    102 games in 14 weeks (about 3 months).

That's pretty much a game a day. Way too much IMO @ 60 min per game.

League Setup 3:

Round Robin Format: 1 division
    3 game series, 5 day advance = 69 games in 16 weeks (about 4 months)

*Basically, the same as above #1 without division play

The game isn't too flexible around the scheduling piece. Ideally, something like a 2 game series with a 3 or 5 day advance time would be good, but there isn't the option. And once you try to add more division games, it will cut down the advance days, forcing you down to 1 day advances....

I think the above are the best options we have, though I'm not sold on either. If we have a division setup, we should have some importance on playing division games. At the same time, playing a one game series is somewhat stupid. It'd be better to get with your opponent and have the chance to knock a few games out in one shot, over a 5 day advance period.

I'm open to suggestion, but in summary, I think filling us up with the right number of teams (probably less than 30) and leaving a good advance schedule will help things move along. The other benefit is that, after the season, we could expand/contract or change the league for the next run.
  2. Thelou

Thelou Walk On

Jul 24, 2009
    I like option 2 but am open to whatever gets the most "dedicated" participation.
  3. Trashyman44

Trashyman44 THELOU CRUSHER

Dec 6, 2009
    i like option 2 as well but am just here to play so w/e commishes pick