League Skype Group Chat

Discussion in 'The Longest Yard' started by Kidofcrash23, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Anybody interested in a league group chat on Skype?

Easy way to stay in communication especially in draft time where it is nice to be able to communicate as a league. Also just general discussions about the game and such amongst owners.

I think skype is the best choice due to skype's limitations in group chat. I am taking their shitty group messaging feature and turning it into a positive. Skype's group chat does not send notifications so the only way you see new messages is by opening up the app (phone/tablet) or on your desktop. So nobody gets bombarded with notifications with new messages which is a good thing. You only see messages when you want to see by opening the app. Skype only allows notifications for 1 on 1 messaging, but not in group chat.

Anybody interested? We have af ew in theire already, would be good to add more to have another communication platform.

HotRod
    1ke
    Anthrax78
    Automatik
    Ben Huh
    bjbdahitman
    Blaza
    BrewBomber
    brizz98
    Butcher Black
    capp34
    charter04
    Craig Brown
    CWT 3000
    Hitmhrd72
    Hokie Effect
    JSimms
    Kidofcrash23
    LSUTRUTH
    Matrix Monkey
    Mogriffjr
    Patster7
    Raidernation
    SFRANGER6969
    Snozberriez8198
    smlVICTORIES53
    T.B.A.R.
    TerentiusXIII
    The Parrothead
    The Rulah
    yogibear
    TryHardNation

2. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Lets go kakao...Skype sucks IMO; never works for me...

3. Hitmhrd72

Hitmhrd72 Walk On

Or groupme.

4. JSimms

GroupMe and kakao the same...kakao uses less phone battery life

5. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

The reason why i think skype is the best option is because the app is available for all smartphones whether iphone, android, windows, Blackberry, but also on the PC as well. Especially for off-season draft time, people going to want a group chat on the pc most likely vs doing it over the phone.

The other reason is what i explained above, it isn't real time which sucks if you want a group chat with a group of friends of like 5 people, but for a league of 32, i dont think people want to have their phone bombed with like 50 notifications and messages. While a limitation of skype's group chat, it works well for us because people aren't receiving constant notifications. I've been in a league that had a group chat and it would go on all day long with constant notifcations. With skype group chat, you check when you want and the app wont drain your battery running in background with all the group messages.

That is why i think skypes group chat limitations works well for those that dont want constant notifications and messages, they only see the messages when they want to open it.

When everybody is actually on the app using it, the group chat works fine. So it doesnt work like a whatsapp, group me, viber, etc when its real time regardless if you have the app open or not. when you want to see messages, you open skype.

Skype chat only works like whatsapp and group me for 1 on 1 texting, not for group chat which is good i think for a large group.

6. capp34

capp34 Say Hello to the Bad Guy!

Never used skype chat before. For my OD we use aim anybody use that?

7. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

dont really use aim anymore, dont think many do either.

8. JSimms

Kidofcrash23 - I posted in our skype group 3 days ago...message is still "pending". In apps like Kakao and GroupMe, you can turn notifications off. Additionally, Kakao can be downloaded to your PC as well. My vote would be Kakao. If we go with Skype, I guess I won't be involved because it doesn't seem to work for me on my phone. I promise you though - we go with Kakao, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

9. Hitmhrd72

Hitmhrd72 Walk On

Yeah, Skype sucks for group chat. Don't get all the messages sometimes.

10. The Rulah

The Rulah Walk On

We tried skype last season for RS.... after awhile the conversation doesn't refresh for most users rendering it useless. GroupMe works much better and you can simply mute the group or turn notifications off. Muting the group will save all battery life concerns because it will not download the data until you enter the group.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

does groupme have a desktop app. If not may need to use kakao since it has both. For phone rather use groupme which is owned by Skype which is owned by Microsoft ironically

12. SFRANGER6969

SFRANGER6969 Walk On

I am a fan of groupme

13. SFRANGER6969

SFRANGER6969 Walk On

I use groupme on my cpu and phone if that is what you are asking. Have not downloaded a app on the cpu just go to the website

14. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

yes. If groupme is accessible on a computer. Lets go with groupme.

15. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

yes. If groupme is accessible on a computer. Lets go with groupme.

16. JSimms

I'd prefer Kakao, but will go with either since both are already downloaded to my phone. Let me know when someone has set up a league group chatroom...

17. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

i started a group chat. NOt sure if best to invite by email or #, but PM me either one so i can add you.

18. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

19. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

group opened, please join!

20. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

Is there a way to sign up without giving some random website my telephone #?

21. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

group me is operated under Microsoft, should be ok

22. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

Yea, I joined. I actually surprisingly trust MS. Just didn't want BS telemarketer calls or something. Been through that before, sucks.

23. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

24. Craig Brown

Craig Brown Walk On

You add me 18162623402 Craig(49ers)