League Structure for 2010

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

League Structure for 2010

I thought I'd post something to get us chatting a bit.

So far, I like the structure in place.

East and West seems to work, though much of the "Old Guard" is in the West, and we could really use some activity in the East. Raz and AMP are active, but I don't see much from the rest. Some of you guys, even the guys who have been around a while, are probably going to get bounced. I'll be on the recruiting trail soon, and new guys are going to get shots.

Anyway, I think we'll keep this structure in the next release, and perhaps expand it into the Mid-Major league we already have space for. This will be the place the new guys go. If we get even bigger, we'll create a small school league (MAC, Sun Belt, and IND [minus ND, of course]) for even newer players.

PK has a good thing going with his prestige dynasty, so I think it will surely keep going in the new release.

However, with the new TeamBuilder function, I think we have something new to talk about. This function looks like a serious good time, and I know we already have a potential commish who wants to run a league under this kind of setup.

Right now, with the exception of a few long time members, we only allow guys to play in one league, and coach only one team. When 2010 drops, there will be a lot of excitement, so I think the newness will keep some of you slackers involved enough to play in more than one league.

Here are my thoughts:

1 - When the commish is chosen, that commish will have absolute control over who gets invited and who doesn't, meaning many of the guys not posting anything now probably won't be invited to play.

2 - The focus of the OFFL is and will remain on the primary leagues. New functions are like fads - the are really sexy at first, but can sputter. Any dip in activity in the primary leagues will result in the termination of the second league spot first, whether that spot in in PK's league, or the TeamBuilder league we'll be hearing about soon. Now, if anyone decides to forfeit a spot in order to play only in one of the other leagues, I think we can work something out.

So, what I'm basically saying is this - I can see some allowance for a second team, at least early on, but since we have had the discussion about involvement time and time again, when the new game drops, we're just going to start pulling teams, and any "WTF" kind of stuff is going to fall on deaf ears. By now, we all know how easy it is to keep up, so when the new guys come, they're going to get your spots, plain and simple.

Thoughts?

AG

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

One more quick thing:

As you can see, the size we can grow to is limited. We may add a small school league, and we will add a Create a School league. But that's it.

After this, I'll be looking for someone who might want to create an entire brand, in essence start their own OFFL-like thing with it's own rules and such. TF will be growing soon and much of that growth will come from the outside, with guys wanting to bring their dyanasties under the banner. But we can also grow from within. If you're someone who has an idea, or you have stayed interested in this game all year long, maybe you might want to give your own thing a shot. Considering all the support right at your fingertips, this is a great place to launch from.

Just something to think about going forward.

AG

3. PK55

PK55 Rabid Football Fan

AG you are beating a dead horse in here right now. I love your passion but think about it.

It's spring, it's the last few monthes of the games life, and people are trying to just fit this into thier busy lives. It's probably going to get worse.

We can't even get discussions going about sliders because everyone pretty much wants to stand pat. That's when I lost interest a few weeks ago. For me to be excited about 09 any longer would take some overhauling and it's just too late in the game for that and noboby wants anymore changes. I understand that and I'm cool with it. Many believe that most of our issues will be solved with the next release. We shall see come July.

At this point I am not committing to doing a prestige league for the next release. Reason being, if the create a school dynasty is what it's being hyped up to be and the pursuit angles/speed issues are fixed then up to be then I will be neck deep in it. That was always my favorite most time consuming feature of the PS2 versions and I played multiple fun filled seasons in it.

I will tell you all this. If the pursuit angles/speed issues aren't fixed I probably won't even be in a league.

Peace,
    PK55

4. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

I know they're working on the speed issues, making the speed increments mean less, so a guy with 94 speed won't be THAT much faster than a guy with 90 speed.

Pursuit angles is definetly fixed, there's some great videos out there showing the improvement.

If PK's more interested in the CAS dynasty than a Prestige one, I see the OFFL being OFFL West, OFFL East, and OFFL TeamBuilder. TeamBuilder would be our invite-only deal for people who have shown commitment to the OFFL idea and want/can handle more than one active league. If we get truly full of truly active people, then maybe a OFFL Mid-Major could spring up in the future.

5. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

I can tell you my involvment in writeups and what not will be much more heavy once we have 10, Im getting sick of 09 and chompin at the bit to get my hands on 10. The fun in 09 is just winding down with all of its problems

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I guess I'll stop complaining and just let you guys do what you want.

It's probably for the best.

7. PK55

PK55 Rabid Football Fan

Dogg, I'm not hatin on you, I commend you for your passion. You have to admit that for quite some time there were ALOT of us with that same passion, but you and Rascal seem to be on another level of passion.

I really like all of you guys so this has nothing to do with that. Sometimes you just get to a point where unless you can change some things and make the game better you just don't have the same motivation to put it in the tray.

I really am hoping that 10 can have some things fixed because I WANT to be fired up about this game again.

Peace,
    PK

8. Razcalking1978

Somewhere along the way there has to be a healthy balance. It’s understandable that discussions about rules, sliders, and things like that would die down as people look forward to the new rendition of the game. No point in tweaking this year’s game.

But why would that mean that people aren’t getting games in, or doing summaries? If people want to sit around and wait for the next game to come out, then they can join a league that starts when the next game comes out. We’re here now, and we deserve a little time if the person wants to be a part of OFFL – now or in the future. We don’t have huge requirements… anyways, that road’s been travelled. Let’s just say that I’ll be recommending 4-5 people to AG at the end of the OFFL East season that don’t really deserve a spot in the league anymore.

This is especially true as the preparation for the next game is just about underway – we’ll be deciding on league structure, picking teams, designing teams for TeamBuilder, and all that fun stuff. In my opinion the people who have shown good activity the last couple of months should be the ones to get first choice in all of this.

9. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Well said Raz.

10. PK55

PK55 Rabid Football Fan

I will be the first one to admit that I stopped doing summaries the way I had in the past. I will recommit to doing them because they are important if you're going to be in a league.

I think you guys are going about it the right way to. It's one thing if people have been busy or have some kind of reasonable explanation. Repeatedly missing games however is never excusable. If they don't care about the game anymore or the league then they shouldn't be invited back.

Again, I want to offer my apology for the holdup on the Red River Shootout game. I assumed the Reagle had talked to AG about it and it was a misunderstanding. AG knows that in the past that if there has ever been any kind of a hold up I have ALWAYS communicated with him about it and I can't remember when the last time was that I was late on game before the game with Reagle. I still feel really bad for holding things up that week. Sorry guys, you're time is valuable and I recognize that.

Peace,
    PK

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

At this point, I think we all pretty much know where we are. The league is becoming a chore, but it is still something we all enjoy and look forward to starting again soon.

Let's finish the year, and then loosen things up. We'll play on, but without the requirements in place now. We will advance on time no matter what, but I won't bust any more balls about the other stuff. Also, there's no need for an apology for the shootout thing. It was a simple misunderstanding. I mentioned it in another thread only to demonstrate that we're making more mistakes than we used to, and that this might be happening because our interest in the game is waning.

That being said, I am going to take a long hard look at who I do and don't want when this thing starts back up. Some of us have never really been involved at any time, and I'll spend the downtime after this season finding replacements for those guys.

Expect discussion to be focused on what we do and don't want this league to look and play like when the next game comes out. I'll also want a way to develop resources for current and prospective members. I'll want to get creative and develop things the other leagues don't have (I have several ideas). While I may not expect summaries and such to be written on a regular basis, I will expect people to get into the discussion and try to help get things ready. If I don't know what you think about the issues and such, I'll assume you don't care, and I'll recruit you out.

More later,

AG

12. PK55

PK55 Rabid Football Fan

That's a good move. I will try to help in any discussions and give you feedback. I'm interested in some of your ideas that you have also.

peace,
    PK

13. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

I'll post here since the East Boards are dead. I'm on board for whatever, hell, I've been on board since the thing got started and don't plan on leaving anytime soon. My only request is that AG finds guys for the EAST that are just excited as you guys are about the WEST. Our boards stay dead except the day after the advance.

14. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Don't worry. You'll have quite a bit of new blood when the time comes. Most of those guys don't even visit here enough to know they're being discussed.

15. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Im on board for just about anything you guys come up with. I know im still new here but I for one am glad I found this place. Im willing to chip in with whatever you'all need. Just let me know.

16. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Start by giving your thoughts on the ideas thread I started earlier. I'd like to know what you think.

AG

17. ReagleBeagle

ReagleBeagle Guest

AG,

I would pretty much 2nd PK's thoughts...love your passion and management of league but this "practice season" is what it is and we should not be as strict as we would with new game.

For me, and probably other longtime members, it is not due to the offseason but because we started over our dynasties. After spending seasons recruiting and building "teams of the future" we hit the reset button to test our settings for next year's game.

I agreed with the move as I would rather hit the ground running when the new game rolls but it has definitely affected my attention to the league right now as we know that our recruiting and team building efforts will be wasted as we will never see the fruits of our labors before we reset for NCAA 10. I am sure many feel this way and we all just play for the love of the games.

My concern for the future is will we continue to plan on replacing the game each year with the new editions? I see this as a catch 22:

1) If we stick with one version we will be able to really experience a long dynasty mode (which I would love) but will not get upgrades of new versions.

2) If we do as we are doing this year, we will play 3-4 seasons and then scrap for the new game...never really getting to play with all of our recruits or build our dynasty.

Question: Would it be possible to create rosters for new game edition from prior year so that we could continue dynasty through different version. I used to be able to do this on EA NBA Live on the computer years ago. If rosters can be created from scratch as they are I would think this could be done. Heck, perhaps we could pay PastaPadre to do this for our league. This would be sweet and would keep the excitement going year to year.

The league puts in a ton of time and effort in making this a great league, which it is, but unless we can have the full dynasty experience of more than 4 seasons it may be all for naught.

My2cents,

Reagle

18. Razcalking1978

Good thoughts, Reagle. It would be great if rosters could be transferred - like you said, they could be done from scratch, but only with weeks of hard labor. It would be tough to resist the new features that come out each year.

I figure we can get in 5-6 years if we hit the ground running and take it to the next release, especially if we start with a quicker schedule while people are gung-ho.

19. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Its too bad EA doesnt have an option to import your OD's from 09. I play in a couple baseball sim leagues using OOTP (not sure if anyone is familiar with this here or not). They come out with a new version every year and it allows us to convert our online leagues each time they upgrade. I think EA would be smart to incorporate this in this years version or at least start talking about putting it in next years!

20. ReagleBeagle

ReagleBeagle Guest

I am familiar with OOTP and that is a great feature. I remember for NBA Live someone created a utility to dump roster to Excel file to manipulate. I wonder was PastaPadre or any of the roster guys use to make their rosters? If we each contributed $10-20 I bet one of the roster guys would do the work. I would rather pay to do this than to start over our league each year.

21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think this option is coming. At least, I know many gamers want it. I'm sure it's on the agenda somewhere over at EA.