League Suggestion: Simming Seasons

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by JerzeyReign, Dec 9, 2013.

1. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

First, please forgive me of this sounds chopped up because I'm posting from my phone. Second, I've asked Bob already and he said I can poll the league.

Simming seasons. What is it? Its an alternative to how we can get more out of our league. We all joined the league because deep down we all love managing a team and leaving our own mark. Let's be real, in four or five seasons not everyone gets to see their long term plan through. If we incorporate simming every other season we could very well double the number of seasons we'd get to manage our teams.

Here is an example of how this could work:

After a completely played year we'd conduct the off season as usual. The following preseason we can sim to week two. Put in claims for players and or make cuts. Sim to week four and cut down to 53 and adjust rosters. Sim to week six of the regular season. At that time you could look to resign your guys or make trades. The next sim will take is to week twelve. Another roster adjustment stage. The next sim will take us to the first round of the playoffs which we would play as normal.

All sims would be twenty four hour sims until we get back to normal with the playoffs. Four to five days after the draft gets us right back to the playoffs and with this group that should take only a few days to complete. We could wrap up a season in just over a week. The downfall to this is that if you don't make the playoff you could not have a league game for a week but I'm sure us non playoff guys will scrim to keep ourselves sharp. The upside to this is that we'd get plenty out of owner mode and everyone will get a good shot at running their team.

I suggested this in another league and it worked well.

Please leave your thoughts and of you'd like to try this below. Couldn't make a poll from my phone haha.

Thanks for reading.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DC

DC Shake n Bake

This style has never appealed to me. Although, I see your point and agree with the outcome. It is not something I want to do. I will how ever follow the league.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Cole Copeland

Cole Copeland Mr. Irrelevant

I'm down for whatever the league wants. I just don't see this being something most guys here will want to do. Not a bad idea though from a guy that loves the building a team aspect of these leagues.

4. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
  5. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

I have never played in a league that does this, but I am very curious about it. Like you said, it seems like it would be a good way for people to actually play out their long term plans instead of getting a few seasons in and losing interest.

However, I just don't think it would be fair for people to be screwed out of the playoffs just because they couldn't play the regular season. I think if you are gonna sim, you have to sim the whole thing including the playoffs.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Cole Copeland

Cole Copeland Mr. Irrelevant

agreed

7. wayers50

wayers50 Walk On

Interesting concept, im down for whatever the league wants . Not against anything.

8. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    I've never tried it but I wonder how successful it is. CHUNKNESS

9. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

I wouldn't want to do this. I don't care too much about owner mode. I just like playing the games.

• Like Like x 1
  10. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Can an admin edit his post to include a poll? I am interested to see how the voting goes.

11. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Someone told me in CB to chime in so I will.

To the point:

This is fun for someone who enjoys more GM aspects of the game. This is not fun for someone who just wants to grind through every single game every single season. That is obvious.

Expanding on that, most leagues don't really get deep enough to begin to feel the effects of poor ownership. Signing a lot of bad contracts/overpaying in FA. Poorly constructing a team against a divisional opponent with a specific skill set/strategy/scheme. Basically anything that takes time to develop. Everything that takes multiple seasons to accomplish, positive or negative, will be magnified. Better built teams are going to have a greater chance at winning when simulations are taking place. In the past, this was a good way of forcing people to stay away from the super dumb, super athlete's that played well above their overall rating.

Personally, the GM aspect of the game is what I like most. It has been for a few cycles. If that's your schtick too then I submit to you to give a "sim season approach," if you want to call it that, a shot. I've done it and I can attest to the rewards of it.

• Like Like x 3
  12. xxkimura

xxkimura Walk On

Sounds really interesting, part of me is scared to lose my older players faster but part of me would like to see the GM aspect play a bigger deal.

That week of the league simming will probably really drag and everyone will be itching to play

• Like Like x 1
  13. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

I personally love it as its what we have done in QSF/ 12th man for the past 2 madden releases. Draft picks actually mean something and the teams that aren't as talented have a chance to build and become competitive. After playing this way for 2 years I wouldn't want to play any other way.

CHUNKNESS
    Michael Overman
    LtJustice

These guys can probably chime in more from a commish perspective.

• Like Like x 2
  14. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Yeah I thought about the older players. Losing a year from a guy who doesn't have much time left could be costly.

Also, I think a big determining factor in this is the integrity of game simming. Is it random or is it based on a team's talent? Do sim teams play accurate to coach tendencies?

I just wouldn't want to put all this effort into my team so it can be successful for sims if it doesn't really matter and its all random.

15. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    No idea how to feel about this

16. bigtubb_

bigtubb_ Walk On

I have done this in other Madden leagues and really enjoy it. Simming balances things out too. Teams that are stacked have an unfair advantage if we only play two or three seasons. However, with simming, stacked teams are forced to make smart GM decisions to keep those stacked teams. They have to resign players and let certain players go to keep franchise type players. The cap becomes much more important. Moreover, teams who are at a disadvantage have the time to build. Whats the point of having a #1 pick when in 2 or 3 seasons they still might not be at their full prime. Also, Drafts become much more important as well. Just Imagine drafting a guy in the 3rd round who blossoms into the next Patrick Willis or Drew Brees. The game becomes fun for the bottom feeders as well.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

I love the idea.

Since we typically only play between 5-7 seasons in a cycle, this would take us to approximately 10-14 seasons. That would mean almost every team would have the opportunity to go through full rebuild as well as (if managed properly) having one of the most talented teams for at least a few seasons in the cycle. Rookies would come of age, bad FA deals would actually have an impact and overall team management would actually mean something.

This way will truly let us see who is the best GM. Not to mention all of the content roster turnover could possibly bring.

Do it.

• Like Like x 3
  18. smace767

smace767 Walk On

I started doing this offline years ago. I would play through 2 or 3 seasons. Then i would sim an entire season, then sim half the season play the playoffs, then play a full season. and keep rotating.

I have been in a few NCAA leagues that does it. we advanced 4 years so everybody had all new players and go from there. I did it last madden and this madden release.

It really doesnt change that much. in fact you play more games than not simming cause 12 teams will be in the playoffs those sim years. I think always the people that have issue is the people that have older core of players on their favorite or used team.

Lets be real. we may get 4 more seasons before the next release. there are about 28 advances per season so even at 2 day advances thats 2 months per season.

Most draft picks wont have that much impact. if we sim every other season, those guys you drafted in seasons 1 and 2 will be 5 year veterans season 6 or 7. they will be 27 year old stars of the league Pro bowlers, MVPs ect. By season 7-10 teams have a chance to acquire talent and compete. In season 7 the star and impact player of your team is most likely gonna be somebody you put there through the draft or FA.

in 8-10 seasons you can realistically turn the jags and Bucs, and browns, and all the lower rated teams into the best teams in the league. Also those on top can GM their way to stay on top.

Im here to play either way. But simming seasons adds plenty to the experience and takes away nothing in reality. Maybe one less year using older veterans like Brady or Manning AP. To some the Mannings of the world could be the experience for them. But i like finding and grooming the next Brady or AP or Megatron and seeing them all grown up.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Also, watching DC try to manage the cap over a longer period of time would be well worth it for me. :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. DC

DC Shake n Bake

no

• Like Like x 1
  21. DC

DC Shake n Bake

Ryty. Exactly why I am opposed. I went big to win now....ill have to make big changes in year 4 or 5. If we start simming now. It screws me over. We should have decided this before we started. #justsayin

• Like Like x 1
  22. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

You still will have two to three seasons with your roster to win if you did nothing. If managed properly with the youth on your team, you could be competitive for at least 8 seasons. Not to mention, I think you have plenty of space under your cap.

• Like Like x 1
  23. DC

DC Shake n Bake

I shall follow your lead sir

24. uagrad90

uagrad90 Walk On

Interesting idea. I do like the idea if getting more seasons in.

25. smace767

smace767 Walk On

Let me add that i would vote to stop at week 1 set your rosters, resign, and practice, week 8 set your lineups, resign, practice and go to wildcard rd and go from there if this idea was being considered. Im in a league and thats how we do it. wk 8 trades can still be made. works well.