League Warning

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Cimmy24, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

bamagrad
    Daplaymaker
    K-FaceKilla
    Jase84
    Alex
    Christian Lentz
    IJGator
    gsuwinsudont
    thebouncer24
    Gibby289
    voltool16

Guys, I don't like what I am seeing with stat numbers after our week 1 games. Things I am seeing that are rule breakers...

- Scoring late in blowouts (some with starters)
    - 4th down attempts/conversions in blowouts

Those two were the biggest. This is a warning that if I see it again I will PM users individually.

Other things to keep in mind. HBs and TEs should not consistently be your top WRs. I understand teams do throw to these players a lot, but this is a video game and those thing can take advantage of AI. I'm not saying don't do it...I just don't want it to be consistent that your HBs get 8 catches a game. That's what WRs are for.

Now, this week we have a couple of user games, so we will see what kind of players you are against other users. This includes your sim nature. Bamagrad and I will be competing against a couple of new comers...this was not done so intentionally and for Jase and voltool, it is in no means to single you guys out. It just happened to fall this way. I personally look forward to playing Jase and voltool down the road, as well as the rest of you.

Let's keep these things in mind and lets go!

Remember to post game summaries in the results thread and let's get some other content going.

2. Daplaymaker

Daplaymaker Walk On

I had a 4th down attempt but as u saw i was losing in the game to utah state lol.

3. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Some things are understandable and realistic....4th down attempts during blowouts...against cupcakes....are not

4. bamagrad

bamagrad Back to Back British Amateur Champion

If yr down and trying to make a comeback then its accepted for going for it. If yr up 63-0 on yr Opponent and its 4th and 1 or 2. Punt the Ball specially if u haven't crossed mid-field yet.

Or if u have then 2 choices Punt or attempt a FG.

5. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

I know teams go for it....Les Miles style...but this is a video game...

The biggest thing is guys going for it in the first half, especially if the game is close. Idk when you guys are going for it, I don't have that luxury, but when I see 4th down attempts in big wins, it raises a flag.

6. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Well put Cimmy

7. Gibby289

Gibby289 Walk On

idk but 7 ints on the cincy D seemed a bit ridiculous for me i just got spanked some how lol

8. IJGator

IJGator Walk On

See...I don't know about that. It is all in the situation. If it is 4th and inches on the opponents 35 - 41 yard line, going for it on 4th down should be no problem. Either punt and gain 15 yard if it is a touchback or go for it. This should be the case when you are out of field goal range. Plus, when the game is close or losing in the 1st half. I see no problem with it. As long as you aren't going for it in a poor sportsmanship opportunity, then 4th down attempts should be ok.

Look, I think we all know what the line is when it comes to non-sim. Just be honest.

9. voltool16

voltool16 Walk On

I had 2 4th attempts. one at memphis' 35 early in the game on a 4th and inches, sometimes when i try to kick field goals online it lags a bit and i lack distance. i didnt know if this could happen in offline online dynasty game. and another was at the end of the game. i scored with 2:19 left just running the ball trying to run out the clock and kicked off. they went 3 and out and punted. computer called 3 timeouts and i was on another 4th and inches. i was up big and there was 1:30 left or so. i just went for 4th and inches so i could kneel ball cause i just wanted the blowout to be over. if you would rather me punt in either situation, particularly the second one, just let me know. you can see i had the ball for 17 of the 28 minutes. in the first half i tried to find a passing identity, but in the second half i ran, ran and ran some more just trying to end the route. as you can see i had a 47 yard field goal late in 3rd, so hope that shows i play sim. all of my late tds in blowouts were either under 5 yard runs that were set up by drives after computer failed 4th attempt. i had one 73 yard rush in the 4th....i was just trying to run out the clock and went untouched off-tackle.

bamagrad, what time you available tonight?

10. bamagrad

Depends on where in the game yr situation comes. early when u had a 7-3 lead and facing 4th&Inches U either have choices of either Kick a FG, punt, or go for it. after u Ballooned to a 35-3 lead at Half the choices are either punt or kick a FG. Then it grew to 45-3 choices still the same. FG or Punt. Then 52-10 Choices are still the same Punt or go for the FG. We need to Think realisticly when it comes to situations like this.

11. bamagrad

early in the Game u were up only 7-0 That situation is accepted, as the Lead grew then it only goes to Punt or go for the FG. The situation near the end of the game, 4th&inches Me personally I would've punt or go for the FG since u were in the opponenents territory no harm in doing that. and if yr in a situation where yr just chewing through the D-line like Butter then either find someone to hit or run out of bounds or slow down so the defender can tackle u. That way it doesn't look like you were trying to pad the Stats.

I'm available anytime today. u can text me if u want 478-951-7620.

12. voltool16

voltool16 Walk On

i never go for it in my own territory, even if i have its the 4th and am down by 7. ive found that your almost always better off to punt and try for a 3 and out then get the ball back. i have noticed anytime im trying to come back and go for it and miss, the computer scores within 3 or 4 plays every damn time. the robo cpu crap always rears its head after a failed 4th attempt....they like teaching you lessons.

in the situation in the 4th, i just didnt want to wait on another punt and yet another what im sure would have been 3 incomplete passes by memphis' terrible qb. i just went on 4th and inches and then literally kneeled 2 or 3 times.

13. voltool16

voltool16 Walk On

and i hate padding the stats. ill admit when neal broke off his 73 yard run in the 4th i thought about falling down...but it was the longest play of the game and the backup neal had earned it with hard running up to that point. if it were under 2 minutes or still poole running the ball, i i probably wouldve just fallen. i hate when dynasties get out of control with inflated stats..i like realism as much as the rest.

14. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Simply, imo...if you feel the need to go for it on 4th down, anywhere on the field...early in the game....that you feel you MUST score that early against a team like FAU, Memphis, UL Monroe, Buffalo, or any team of that caliber...well...you better practice more.

If a team like Troy stops me on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down in the first half...they did their job and I didn't. Going for it on 4th down that early to me is panicking and not trusting your defense and abilities to stop the CPU low caliber offense.

I understand there are times where 4th and inches comes up and teams go for it whether it be to burn the remainder of the clock or because the spot is iffy on FG or Punt...I know that happens...but you just got held to inches by a low caliber defense...take it to the sideline and don't forget you have 2 or 3 more quarters to play...

15. voltool16

voltool16 Walk On

imo, coaches make tough decisions. electing to go for it on 4th down and inches when youre at the 35 doesnt suggest anything about having a lack of confidence of your game or your team. going for it on 4th and inches at the 35 is the exact opposite. its having the confidence to just go ahead and go for the points neccesary to get the big lead and get the game wrapped up to go into conservative mode as early as possible to protect starters and the lead. a real coach would not shy away from a 4th and inches against inferior talent....they would do the exact opposite. think about this.....2 coaches with over half of the last 6 or 7 national titles go for it on 4th upwards of 5 times a game....ON THEIR SIDE OF THE FIELD. its real football. i rarely go for it on 4th, but it feels like we are trying to tell coaches that they have even less control over their decisions.

i think we're a little too jaded by the amount of cheesing in the community. people get turned off by people making good coaching decisions just because 9 out of 10 losers online abuse it. no reason to act like a better "sim" player because as a coach, you make a different decision.

i think were hampering coach personalities a little much when 4th and inches are questioned and we put this many terms on it. what made urban meyer and what makes les miles so damn good....their balls....their big damn balls....and they have pretty good careers and accomplishments. and i can say for a fact because ive witnessed it live in neyland over and over....these decisions throughout the game change the game. i have seen urban and les in my own house go for a 4th and inches at their own 40 in a close game. and it usually ends up being the difference.

i never want to get into a situation where i elect not to go for it because im afraid of what someone else in the dynasty might think about and have it wind up making a huge difference in the outcome of the game.

not bitching or anything....i just dont understand the "looking down" on another's game because they emulate what they see in real life.

16. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

The whole protect starters ideal for going for it really makes no sense....how are you protecting your starters by giving them another play after they just played at least 3? How often do we see short yardage plays where the QB is shoved into the pile? That's not protecting your QB....sending him into a scrum like that. It protects your defenders....defenders job description is hitting people....what is the need to protect them early in the game like that?

Again, like many say on this website...we are a SIM community, yes. We do want to play like they do on Saturday. That is all correct. However, this isn't and never will be REAL football. It is too easy to run the QB dive or FB dive on short yardage plays to get a first down. It exploits the AI of the video game. This site was created and succeeds on the basis of getting away from Lobby Head to Head games and Lobby Generated and poorly run ODs. It is near the same reason we ban aggressive gameplan....the aggressive style handicaps the CPU because the AI is not perfect and doesn't adjust like a human opponent would. It's running play action after play action, sprinting to the sidelines for the open receiver, tossing late pitches on options...those aggressive actions exploit the AI.

Getting this out of the way, I can see someone asking, "well, if we are playing another user can we use the aggressive tactics?"
    Answer: No. You can't. Reason, because the AI is still involved as it is a video game and we only control 1 player at a time.

Not trying to be an ass towards you voltool, simply interested...where did you get the information about 2 coaches with half the last 6/7 nattys go for it on 4th upwards of 5 times on their side of the field per game? I'd personally, for my knowledge, would like to see that information.

When I started this thread, my intentions were not to nit pick you guys on 4th and inches decisions. That is going to "What if's". The main idea is to not blow up 4th down attempts in blow outs. If I wanted to intentionally hamper coaches personalities and be a total communist...I'd ask you to record and save every 4th down attempt in the game to see that they are 4th and inches in reasonable spots and situations. I'm not like that, I want everyone to play and enjoy themselves within the league and with the game, but I don't want it to be unreasonable or beyond TSO's mantra.

• Like Like x 2